Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Newbie August 2019 Alberta

When did you start looking for your wedding dress?

Taylor, on March 6, 2018 at 11:26 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 22

Hello everyone!

I am just wondering when you started looking for your wedding dress? When would you consider it to be too early?

Thanks in advance Smiley smile

22 Comments

Latest activity by Christina, on May 10, 2018 at 00:20
  • Christina
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started looking at dresses 22 months before my wedding .. tried on probably over 50 dresses in 3 different cities.. and was getting frustrated because I didn't like anything. I found the perfect one about 18 months into the wedding. My dress will take about 10 months to make.

I don't feel bad because had I not started early, I would have been stressed or felt rushed trying to find the perfect dress! Now I can relax because I have my dress Smiley smile

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started looking for my dress 3 months after I got engaged. (we are having a short engagement period) I don't think its ever to early to look and get some ideas. I think my main thing is making sure I'm the right size when I try it on again, and alterations.

• Sarah
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got too excited and started looking at dresses before I event started planning the wedding. I've always loved princess dresses, so i thoroughly enjoyed my dress hunting process Smiley smile If you start early, you'd get more chances to go to different off-the-rack or sample sales if you are looking for a good deal too!

• H
    Curious August 2018 Quebec
    Hanh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same here !!! Wedding is in August started the dress hunt in March. It will be a custom made but I put the order in the end of March. Will receive it in July but before I will have to try on the pattern in June!! So excited !!!!!!
  • Dani
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just got mine! Started shopping a week and a half ago - visited 6 stores, ordered today, 8 weeks to arrive, wedding is in August. Phew!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is definitely nothing too early to start looking. The wedding industry is sort of crazy that everything is done really far in advance and some dress places quote up to 10 months for the dress to come in!

I started looking for dresses about 10 months before the wedding.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is May 2019 and i am going next month to start shopping. It's most recommended around a year so you have time to find a dress and then order it in and still have time for alterations
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is basically 2 years away (Its going to be next October 2019, so one year and 7 months away 😬), and I am actually going shopping for a dress next week. A lot of people tend to recommend doing 9 months to a year in advance to make sure you have time for alterations and everything!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can start dress shopping however early you want!! Smiley laugh

We recommend buying a dress at least 9 months before your wedding date - dresses can take around 6 months to come in, and then you'll still need to do alterations!

Why You Should Shop For Your Wedding Dress Early
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The dress was the first thing I did. Granted, my engagement is quite short, 6 months total so I needed to get a dress ASAP Incase ordering was going to take awhile. Turned out my dress arrived in 3 weeks. Now I just play dress up everytime I go to my moms where I have it stored. Lol.
  • M
    Curious August 2018 Manitoba
    Modupe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started shopping for mine 10 months to my wedding and two me two months to get what I really liked.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement is 10 months so I went right away. I think it depends what kind of decision maker you are. If you tend to second guess, you may want to go later since styles change every year. If you know what you want, you can start looking now, or within the next couple months. Dresses can take up to 7 months to come in, plus a couple months for alterations, so I would suggest no later than 9 months before the wedding.

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started looking right away. Depending on what your looking for you may want to get ahead start
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely never too early to shop around, then it helps you get an idea of what you would like and so you don't get overwhelmed by all the options.

I shopped for & bought mine over a yr in advance for my wedding for 2 reasons:

1) I have a specific color I wanted (red), and I wanted to see what my options were, they were limited

2) Had a bit of a scare with Alfred Angelo going under and because my dress is so unique I thought better to buy now than to shop again (my dress's designer not Alfred Angelo luckily)

I was told by the bridal store that it could take up to 6 months to arrive so I ordered June/July last year thinking it would arrive Jan/Feb but it came in 2 months.

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's never too early! My ceremony dress is from kleinfelds and their order time is 10 months before! Most other places are about 6 to 7 so it really depends on the boutiques and dress designers! Have fun when you go Smiley shame
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in June 2017 and are getting married on June 2019. I purchased my dress a few weeks ago.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went almost immediately as we got married 9 months after we got engaged. I think you can start by looking online now for styles you may like but keep in mind that there will be several "seasons" of dresses between now and when you actually start shopping. I think you could make appointments for later this summer or early this fall to start shopping.

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its never too early to start!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello fellow August 2019 bride! If I were in the physical state that I want to be, sure, I'd start looking now, but I've got some aggressive weight-loss goals, therefore I am waiting until this July to start looking.

Take all things into consideration, but if you're ready to start looking, go for it!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got engaged of October of 2016 and purchased my dress a month after and don't get married for another 3 months! It's never too early to start looking. However, remember that styles change and you may end up finding another dress after you purchase yours that you may like better.

• Dana
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started looking online pretty much as soon as we got engaged because I was so excited but actually went shopping about a year before. I ended up finding it in one day and I’m super happy with it! I did end up going through a period where I wasn’t sure about the dress and I was glad that I had found it early enough that I could’ve figured out a different option if I truly ended up not loving it. In my opinion the only time that would be too early would be before you have your venue booked and date chosen because you’ll probably want to consider the season and the style of your venue when it comes to choosing Smiley smile
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a short engagements (9 months) so I started right away. I think it was 8 months before, and my dress came within 5 months of ordering it.

I would say a year before is a good rule of thumb, but you can always go earlier and start looking at silhouettes and fabrics. It certainly helped narrow things down for me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics