Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

When did you meet their parents?

Lynnie, on July 4, 2018 at 13:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 35

When did you tackle the big moment of meeting your partner's parents? How long into dating (or your engagement) was it? And how did it go? Smiley shame Any horror stories?

When did you meet their parents? 1

Photo from Magical Stills Photography in Brampton

35 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on November 23, 2018 at 00:05
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure when he met my parents but I met his for Christmas, we had been dating about 2 months.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We met each other's parents in the same weekend over Easter after we'd been dating for a few weeks.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Being so far away from family, no one met anyone's parents until 8 months in. Not quite Horror Stories, but there is a story nonetheless.

My parents and brother were visiting us on the Lake Superior Circle Tour, stopping in Kakebeka Falls for a few days over July long weekend (this happened 2 years ago?! Time flies). They were with their camping buddies from Michigan who are very close friends of our family. I was in school and had a summer job as a forest technician where I worked 8 days on in the bush and 6 off. My FH at the time worked 4 days on and 4 days off and other opportunities to meet my parents did not work with his schedule, until this trip. So we go out for his 4 days off and my 6 off. I have my own tent so we just parked on my parent's camp site. He got along great with everyone since there was lots of drinking lol. On Canada Day, my dad took everyone on one of his infamous hikes (he gets lost as $#!^ in the bush) where we didn't get lost, but walked into a tick nest and we were COVERED in ticks! I've had the odd one in my job, but this was brutal! It was also crazy hot and we hiked out quite a ways and ran out of water. Long story short, my dad sprinted ahead of the group, got his truck and lots of drinks, and met us at the turn off from the road, which maybe saved us 15 minutes of walking. We spent the rest of the day picking ticks off, drinking, and my parents praising my FH, telling him if he could survive that afternoon, he could survive a lifetime of me.

Fast forward two weeks later, I'm on my 6 days off and he was on his 4 off and his dad, brother, sister and niece came up to visit us. I was driving home from work (e.g. I hadn't showered in 8 days and had dirt on my clothes, skin etc.) to his place (we didn't live together yet). I had already had my stuff to stay at his place with his family before leaving for work so I didn't need to go back home. Well his family got there early, I pulled up 5 minutes after they got in, and they weren't expected for another 2 hours. I got out of my car and my FFIL and FSIL were cleaning up puke from my niece who was 3 at the time and suffered extreme car sickness. Since I was already dirty, I went over and helped them clean the car seat and the floor of my FFIL's truck. My FH came out and said: I don't know who's grosser: my niece covered in puke or Alli who hasn't showered in 8 days. He always joked about how gross being in the bush is so I laughed, along with everyone else. Once everyone was cleaned up we were sitting outside and drinking and his dad says: I like you, you don't mind if you haven't showered in 8 days!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg!!!! crazy first meeting!! glad it was better with your dad. and good for his mom!

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met his parents about 3 months into dating. They invited us over for dinner and his mom and I drank to much wine and looked at baby pictures lol. I had a great time but I am sure he was embaressed.

• C
    Curious June 2024 British Columbia
    Calla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We met each other's parents pretty early on because we started dating in our early 20's when we were still living at home. That all went well and all my family love him, the funny one was when I met his extended family in Japan. I was warned in advance that no one spoke English very well but it still made it super hard. I was also worried because his 85 year old grandma is really old school and I wanted her to like me. I didn't bow to her when she bowed to me on introduction (huge faux pas apparently!) but she liked me anyways and kept calling me kawaii (cute) and when I left she didn't want to let go of my arm. Was pretty proud of the result considering my limited ability to communicate with them haha

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Literally when His Cousin was getting married 5 years ago and I went to the wedding!!
  • Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Met his parents before we even started dating! His sister is an old high school friend of mine (that’s how we actually ended up meeting) and she invited me to a trip camping up at her family trailer, met the parents then, so this is about 2 months before we started dating. Little did they know their daughter’s high school friend would end up marrying their son!
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You want a HORROR STORY, I got that!! Mine story is a total train wreck, literally! Our first xmas together we decided to go to the cottage just the 2 of us, no family, so as to avoid meeting each other's family. We were together for 2 months, then moved in together, then it was xmas and didn't want to expose the other person to our horrible families so early on but now that we lived together we felt this was the only way out. Well it totally backfired! His parents, both heavy smokers with lung cancer pulled the 'this could be our last xmas' card you have to have xmas dinner with us before you go. It was a total train wreck, his parents were both hardcore alcoholics so took us to their local bar and got sooo wasted, like his dad threw up at the table, his mother kept asking me totally inappropriate questions about my background, racial and religious (since I'm the first not white, not italian, not Christian anyone has ever brought home). It was a total disaster. He did warn me beforehand and it truly reinforced why we were getting away from everyone for xmas. Him meeting my Dad was too much fun! Backyard BBQ at Bob's, he met my FH and I met his new GF, we all had a great time. First guy I've ever been with that he liked and it was love at first sight. Seriously seeing them joke around drinking beer together, I realized I'm dating a younger Italian version of my Dad lol Now him and my dad are best buds and his mom checked herself into rehab and has been sober for 2 years.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately my FS’s parents are deceased.
    I met his older sister during my first visit when she picked me up from the airport and we get along swimmingly.
    Holidays and birthdays are heavy for him but we try to balance that with an influx of family from my side.
    He gets along very well with my parents, brother and niece and nephew.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually met his parents the same day I met him! I was performing in a play that his family was the attending. I remember being introduced to them, and his mom immediately chastising me about not wanting to go to post-secondary school! I was like "Hey lady, I just met you! I'm going to do whatever I want!" Lol. 6 years later I have a college diploma and an undergraduate degree, and am marrying her son! Life is crazy!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HORROR STORY WARNING!

I met FH's parents approximately 2-3 weeks into dating. Now, FH and I moved quickly when it came to me spending the night. At his place. Which is his parents place.

The year is 2010 and it's a cold February morning. FH and I were already awake and in bed when his mom comes downstairs to his bedroom (his "bedroom" was just a bed in the middle of the basement; no door). FH has this huge, fluffy duvet so I do the logical thing and I hide under it. FMIL chats with FH for 2 minutes, then goes upstairs.

Now I'm stuck in the situation where I don't know how I'm getting out of this without them seeing me. We were only 21 and 23 at the time, so having a strange girl who they didn't know spend the night was a faux pas. We were going through all the options on what to do, desperately trying to figure something out before Justin had to drop me off at home in time for me to get ready for work.

Some of the solutions FH had were:

- Go out the walkout basement door and hop some fences to meet him on the next street over (he really suggested this)

- Wait his parents out (they were supposed to be at their cottage)

- Face his parents

Well, we ended up facing his parents. We made our way up the stairs and straight into the kitchen where both his parents were. FFIL in his boxers, FMIL surprised, confused, and then she says "Oh! I didn't know there was another person down there!".

Definitely not my best first impression and it took me a while to correct it. I wish I remembered how FH met my parents, but his version is that it was a few weeks in too, and he came over to take me out and met my dad making dinner. My parents are divorced but are super civil (my dad would be at my moms and cook dinner), so FH's impression of my parents was confusion for sure.

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The first day we hung out we actually went to his parents house! (Very family oriented) I was greated at the door by his mother (who was also named Sarah lol) and she was eating marshmallows and laughing, so safe to say we got along great. And she told me stories and showed me a vcr film of my now fiancé when he was like 5 saying he was going to marry a girl named Sarah and have 3 kids (kinda surprised and a little shocked but we all laughed and had a good time) And then later that evening I met his dad, and then came to realize he was the pastor at the church me and my ex attended 🤦🏼‍♀️ So it was like a “it’s nice to see you again” awkward meeting 😂
    About a week later he met my parents, we all went out for supper so he could meet them before I went across the country on my trip for almost a year (worst timing to find true love I know) and supper went fine, and everyone was friendly. But then afterwords my parents said they didn’t approve and that I shouldn’t date him. I ignored them, and now after a year and a bit they finally are warming up to him and approve!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I forget when he met mine, but that’s okay he forgot he’d already met my dad and introduced himself to my dad a second time 😂

I met his whole family except his brother (who I’d met earlier) when it was his mum’s birthday dinner and she told him to bring me. So it was everyone at once as soon as I finished work that day. I was soooo nervous.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He saw my mom for a few minutes just a week into dating, and I briefly saw his parents the next week I think.

I formally met his family 3 weeks in, I think, when I was invited to a family dinner for his mother's birthday. At least I already knew his brother and his sister-in-law.

He met my parents after a month and a half, since they lift quite a lot further.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met his parents I think about 6 ish months into dating? Maybe a little less? He met mine fairly quickly as he always came over to my place to chill!
    I think meeting his sister was a lot harder for me I was soooo nervous!! But we get along great and shes one of my bridesmaids now so it was perfect!!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't actually remember meeting his parents for the first time.

He was living at home at the time we met (he had moved back after finishing school and had been home for about 2 years saving up to buy a house and pay off his student debts.. which I was super impressed with him for doing both 3 years after graduating university).

I'm sure I met his mom one time when I went over to see him but it was about 4 or 5 months after we started dating. I think it may have been for Easter dinner actually!

I don't remember when he met my mom, but I do remember my dad and him meeting. My dad took us out to get dinner and it was a nice evening and I was so worried about my dad loving him cause I knew he was my person. That was about 4 months into dating and my dad loved him right away.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually met his grandma first. He lived with her. about 2.5 months into the relationship, as I was picking him to go to the airport/vegas. We went to vegas with his bro and now sis in law.

2-3 weeks later met his mom. and it was not planned. she was in town from the states. I had just gotten out of a meeting. and get a text from him saying "i'm picking you up in 20 and we are having pizza with mom and her friend". well....unexpected.
    his dad a month or so after that when his g-ma made him invite me to easter.

he met my family (my aunt and uncle are whom I consider parents) about 10 months into the relationship.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were friends first before we dated so I met his parents when we were roommates in college so it wasn't terrible or anything. As time has gone on we spend most weekends with them and I consider them my parents. There is a funny story of what happened when I first met his parents, more specifically his dad and is teased for it ever since . Smiley winking

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met my fiancé's dad a few weeks into dating him; apparently he had told his dad about me when we befriended each other as he had "a feeling" about me and it was noticeable to his dad when they saw each other at some point during that time (his mom is ill so she was bedridden that day). I don't remember exactly when I met his mom, but I imagine it was a month or two later.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met his mom about 3 months after dating and his father after 4 months. Both interactions went really well and we've got along ever since!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met his dad about a month into dating, his mom was hesitant about meeting me so I met her a couple of weeks later.
    He met mine around the 3 week mark
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met his parents and his whole family a few weeks into dating. His grandmother was sick and they always had Sunday dinners. He talked about me to them the first week and then the next week he invited me. He warned me that as soon as I walked in the door I would be part of the family and I was okay with that. I met his aunt first and she was very nice. One of his cousins also joked that if we didn’t work out that they were going to keep me. His mom says his grandmother really liked me and told him to keep me. We had 2 Sunday dinners and then we had another week day dinner before she passed away.

I’m not exactly sure when he met my mom, she lives up north and she was worried we were moving to fast. I knew he was the one and we were on the same page about everything. I waited a long time and had many bad relationships that prepared me for this one that is healthy and loving.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Met his mom and step dad and uncle and nana all at once about a week into dating him. Lot of people living in one house = some overcrowding and automatically bumping into them! (He works on the road a lot so it wouldn't make sense to have his own place when he goes away for 6 weeks at a time.) It went okay but I'm a dog person and they love cats... that's the one big thing that separates us aaaaand the only thing.

As for his dad, I met him at his uncle's surprise birthday party - which is also where we found out that one of his uncle's is married to my mom's friend from elementary school! Very first time I met him he told me to call him Dad... it was a bit soon but look at us now?

• S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    On our second date lol. We went to the Ex and his parents were there....along with his sisters and brother in law. We got along right away.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😂😂 awesome. Sounds like my in laws!
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah haha I am actually not much of a dog person but I try
  • Tyanna
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The dog is always the most important when meeting the family! If the dog doesnt like you, gtfo hahaha😂
  • Tyanna
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met his mom about 4 days after we started hanging out when she showed up at his house to surprise him with his favourite dinner leftovers 😂🤷🏽‍♀️

I "formally" met her 2 weeks later when we went for dinner with her. I was shocked that he was so willing to introduce me to his mom so soon, but went along with it!

I found out just recently that he had actually told her before that dinner that he was going to marry me some day ❤

I met his dad about 2 months in to dating! We have now been together fofor almost 5 years
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Because we were good friends in elementary, I’ve known his mom for as long as I can almost remember haha. I seen her a lot throughout the years, as we lived in the same city. I didn’t meet his Dad until we started dating! (He must have hid during birthday parties lol) and it was totally fine when we met. Again, FH has known my Mom the whole time, and my stepdad and him hit it off right away and have been close ever since. We are really lucky when it comes to the whole inlaw thing.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met his parents maybe a month into dating. They invited me over for dinner, and I think it went really well.. I mean that was 7 years ago haha. He met my parents around the same time, I think. He helped us with some backyard renos, which my parents were super grateful for!

That being said, our parents have not met each other yet, which is stressing me out. I'm a nervous talker/rambler and so are my parents, so I'm just super worried that my parents might say something inappropriate.

• Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met his parents 2 weeks into dating and they liked me from the start. His dog liked me which was my immediate "in"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics