WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

What's your "something old"?

Joey, on November 22, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15

Something old,

Something new,

Something borrowed,

Something blue,

And a sixpence in her shoe Smiley heart

What will be your "something old" on your wedding day?

A family heirloom?What's your "something old"? 1Photo by Brooke Windibank Photography in Belle River

A piece of mom's wedding dress?What's your "something old"? 2

Photo by Fringe and Flourish Events in Vancouver

Your fav pair of sneakers?What's your "something old"? 3

Photo by Joyously Inclusive Weddings in Toronto

15 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on November 30, 2018 at 20:56
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom's veil. My aunt wore it as well and would like her daughter to wear it.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't thought about this. My mom had mentioned something about having part of her veil sewn into the hem of my dress to be my something old.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine was my grandmother purse and I carried the handkerchief my mom has on her wedding day inside the purse.

What's your "something old"? 4
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Several "something olds": My grandma's (dad's side) wedding ring, and her fur stole. My grandma's (mom's side) wedding ring, and her wedding garter wrapped around my bouquet 'handle' (also my something blue)... Neither of my grandma's made it to any of their grandkids weddings, so I've made sure each cousin has had my paternal grandma's ring with them at their wedding (I'll be #4 of 8), and I'm the first of my maternal grandma's grandkids, so I'll be starting that trend on our side.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, it's just because I will be taking the something borrowed off (the veil) - I don't want to disturb the magic of the "something old/new/borrowed/blue" quartet. I feel like I have to be wearing all four of the items until the stroke of midnight or whenever the party ends.... Yes, I am person who throws salt over my shoulder and stays home on Friday the 13ths Smiley ups

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

May I ask the superstitious factor with the veil? I don't think I know of anything.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My future sister-in-law/maid of honour's wedding veil... sentimental & thrifty lol. But I will be taking the veil off during the ceremony, so, because I'm massively superstitious, I am also borrowing a bracelet from my mom.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My something old is a brooch that belonged to my great grandmother. I'll include it in my bouquet. I wasn't planning on taking part in this tradition but my mom was hoping I would use the brooch so I will do that part at least.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Something old is my parents' toasting glasses from their wedding 30 years ago! We are getting the set and then our kids will have the option of having them at their wedding!

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore my grandmother's diamond necklace - and my e-ring was hers as well, so they both qualify!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH’s husband’s parents are deceased.

The old, new, borrowed, blue tradition wasn’t even on my radar until his older sister offered to give (not loan) me one of their mother’s handmade handkerchiefs. They were made by their grandmother and were a must have church when their mother was growing up. (Designer church handkerchiefs? Who knew?)

I was immensely touched by the offer bc I know it’s a BFD that my FSIL is willing to part with something that once belonged to her mother.

So that’s my “old”, and a lovely kickstart to the gathering of the new, borrowed,blue and sixpence.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't asked yet, but I'm hoping to borrow the Greek wedding crowns that my FMIL and FFIL used at their wedding. It's a borrowed something and an old something, but I think my official something borrowed with be my mother's pearls so I have a separate thing for each.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH bought me an opal (my birth stone) bracelet 8 years ago. I’ll be wearing that as my something old.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was thinking of wearing my Great Aunty Ann's bracelet Smiley smile My middle name is Anne (my sister has our Great Baba Jessie's bracelet and has the middle name of Jessie), and my Grandma's name was Anne as well so it would make me feel close to both sides of the family.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm trying to find a bracelet or something from my mom that I can use!! One thing I'm wearing is a pair of my FHs earrings from highschool as they have blue gems which match my ring! It can technically be my something old, something borrowed and something blue hahah!! But I'm trying to get a different item for each!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics