Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

What's your plus one policy?

Lynnie, on August 17, 2017 at 16:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Nailing down the guest list is one of the hardest and most stressful parts of planning for everyone! There are so many things to consider! From family and friends, to capacity and cost, to kids, and co-workers, and don't forget... dates! Smiley surprise

What have you decided on? Will you be giving all of your single guests plus ones, or just the wedding party, or no plus ones for anyone? Share your 'Plus One Policy' below!

Photo by knorthphotography Photo by knorthphotography

For tips and tricks on how to create your guest list, check out these articles from the WeddingWire team: Wedding Guest List Etiquette , and 7 Things to Consider When Making Your Wedding Guest List.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 12:40
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had only one person with a plus one. That also was dropped. I invited my MOD parents to make up for some guests cancelling last week of preparation.
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are giving plus ones to our wedding party and anyone in a serous relationship. But we are keeping track by putting on the RSVP cards "we have reserved ____ seats in your honour" and leaving space for names. We also are not inviting children so all plus ones need to be adults.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a plus one for everyone except one cousin whose adult children I invited. I thought she might cause some drama if I gave her one. LOL

• Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing plus one for anyone who needs it. I don't want anyone to feel awkward if they only know one of us or something like that . It also just gives me less of a headache having to have that same discussion over and over with out single guests or coworkers. The more the merrier !
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most of our friends are long time couples but there were a few people we weren't sure. We addressed invitations to a specific person if we didn't want them to have a plus one. We only had one person include a plus one without asking luckily.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most of our 29 guests are couples. There are a few singles but we haven't invited a plus one because we wanted to keep it small. I've done the seating plan so that everyone knows someone at the table.

• C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although I'm doing a destination wedding at an all inclusive resort people assume it's free but it's costing us $115 USD per person. As we don't want the buffet with 300 strangers mixed in and talking during speeches etc. So if we wanted private with just the wedding guests we had to pay. This also includes cocktail reception as well after the ceremony as people assume drinks and appetizers are free since it's all inclusive but it's not if you have a wedding and private ceremony . We sent invites to our single friends which they could have brought someone but nobody did
    My only dilemma is I have a few relatives and couple of friends who said "we may surprise you". Book last minute and show up.
    We are doing assigned seating and I am hand painting each persons name on an oyster. In addition to giving each person an "airline ticket" to a "country " which will be on a map with a piece of string going to a luggage tag with the table guests.
    We have to pay in advance based on those who booked, paid in full and booked .
    There may be pissed off surprised guests who show up but they will just have to eat with the other hotel guests in the buffet and join us for dancing.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This has been a difficult thing to figure out for us! We're trying to keep the list under 100, so we really only want to invite people we know and care about. But I think we are going to give wedding party members a plus one.
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We allowed anyone to bring a guest to the wedding as we did not want anyone who be there, to feel alone.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having 180, there will be a few children, and 14 in my bridal party. I have spoken to most of my guests directly when calling for address confirmations, and all my guests are allowed to bring a plus one. We have taken this into account when creating the list, I'm sending out 80 invitations with expecting them all to have a plus one. When they start coming back with either regrets or 1 attending, then we will send out more invitations.
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will only allowing plus ones to people who have been dating for over a year or are in our wedding party. Most of our guests are married anyways so not a big deal to add 5 extra people
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a very small guest list of 40 people so all our single people can bring a plus one if they want. It's literally all immediate family and our closest friends so we already know their plus ones anyway

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics