Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

What's your "Plus One" plan?

Lynnie, on May 15, 2018 at 12:48 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25

How are you handling "plus ones' for your wedding guests?

Are you giving out no "plus ones" and inviting guests with their significant other by name?

Are you giving "plus ones" to the members of your wedding party? Or to guests who may not know a lot of other people?

Does everyone get a "plus one"?

Share your "plus one" plan!!

What's your "Plus One" plan? 1

Photo from Lily Among Thistles Calligraphy

For more conversations about the guest list, check out: Guest list breakdown! , Who has more guests on their side, you or your partner? , and How large is your guest list?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on October 20, 2018 at 10:05
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose personally that plus one was not applied to anyone as Indian wedding traditions are full invited names only. One guest refused to come unless there was a plus one on her invite. Result, didn't end up bringing anyone which worked out great.

Plus we were crunched on budget that it wouldn't allow us to have anyone bring a guest.

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are giving plus ones to people who have been in a relationship for longer than a year, or if they don’t know anyone else. Adding plus ones almost doubles our guest count so we are trying to keep the numbers down!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We gave plus ones to those who have been in serious relationships for at least 6 months plus.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We gave a plus one to those in serious relationships, to my fiance's single sister (since she's family) and to a few people who didn't know anyone else.

• Becky
    Newbie April 2019 West
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well I have a major Plus One issue. All my guest are inviting Plus Ones.Since we are having a destination wedding. Everyone and their mother want to come to our wedding. The worts is that I nor my fiance know 90% of the plus ones invited to our special day 😔
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

People in serious relationships, married or engaged gets a 'plus one', that's it.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We invited everyone by name. We only allowed plus ones for people who are in serious relationships.

So far, only one person has asked if she could come with someone whose names wasn't on the invitation, and we allowed her to do it, since it is her SO. He was originally on our list, but they were having a huge conflict at the time we drew up our list, so we figured we'd just write her name and let her ask.

• Samantha
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't allow plus ones for people who aren't in a serious relationship. We addressed each invitation to the couple or individual or family, and had a slot on the RSVP that said "__ number of seats are reserved in your honour", and we filled out each of those blanks before sending out the invitations to everyone. So my best friend and her boyfriend, we put that 2 seats were reserved, but a friend of mine without a S/O we just put that 1 seat is reserved. It was the nicest way we could think to go about it haha

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most people we invited were part of a couple so the plus one plan was pretty easy.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If we knew their significant others name we addressed it to both names if not we wrote, “and Guest”. This is includes the wedding party.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Significant others will be invited by name as we know the names of all the significant others. There will be no random plus ones for anyone, there’s no need for me to pay $52 a head for someone I don’t know and hasn’t been with that person for a while.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wrote "and guest" for those with plus one's, singles in bridal party not allowed to bring one. I usually just ask to confirm the name of the guest
  • Kelsea
    Frequent user October 2019 British Columbia
    Kelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The singles in the wedding party will be allowed a plus one. Significant others of family will be addressed by name. It's hard because we only have a limited amount and want to make sure it's people we know and love there celebrating with us. My cousin is recently in a relationship and his other half will not be invited as they got together after my guest list was complete. If I could afford it i'd give everyone a plus one.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We limit plus one because we really want close family and friends. We notified all of them that we want all guest that we know and that have been in touched with us. They all seems to understand it.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As much as we would’ve liked to give everyone a plus one, we just couldn’t afford it, so only people with significant others are getting a plus one
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our rule of thumb was two fold - 1) Is it a long term (over 1 year) relationship, and are they likely to be together in a year (when our wedding is)? and 2) Have we met this person before?

If the answer to those two questions was 'yes' then they got their plus one (by name).

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If someone has a S/O then they are addressed directly on the invitation. if we haven't seen someone in a while and aren't sure if they are seeing anyone we gave them a plus one. but anyone who is definitely single we didn't, because, we don't want people bringing their cousins or friends just for the sake of bringing someone.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyone gets a plus one. It's what we've budgeted for, so if singles don't bring a plus one, it's great for us lol.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only invited plus ones if they were in serious relationships, in which case we addressed the invite to both people by name

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't include too many "plus ones". If I know the 'plus one' they aren't really a plus one in my books.. its only people I DONT know.

We have three people in the bridal party who aren't in long term relationships, we offered them plus ones.

We have one guest who has been dating his girlfriend for 8+ months but we haven't met her! We invited her as a plus one.

That's it though! Some people have lightly grumbled about it, but they aren't the ones paying per person and I'm really adamant that I want people there who are important to us. We aren't including kids or extended family either so no one should be too upset.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our guest list is at 250 not including plus ones so not only will we be not having children attending - but as for the plus one's, we will be addressing peoples S/O on the card. We're hoping that if someone we have invited wants to bring someone that they will reach out to us and we will determine if it will be okay number wise.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm inviting friends/family with Plus Ones that I personally know by name! If I have a friend who is in a new relationship or I'm not sure I will offer the Plus 1!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Those married or in a serious relationship get plus ones. If a friend who wants to bring a date asks, we will consider it but it's not likely as we have a strict budget and small venue.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they are in a serious relationship (living together/engaged/married) the "plus one" is addressed as well and not really a plus one.

If they have been in the relationship for more than a year, we will probably give them a plus one.

Wedding party will follow the same rules, if they don't apply to any of the above and ask, we'll probably let them bring someone (only 3/7 might need this).

All other cases will be reviewed by the both of us, although we don't want randoms there but for someone who won't know a lot of people, they might appreciate it

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are allowing everyone to bring a plus one. The ones we know will have their names on the invitation, the ones we don’t will say “and Guest”.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics