Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrea
Devoted January 2021 Ontario

What to do?

Andrea, on September 10, 2019 at 20:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get some advice in regards to my situation. Initially my fiance and I had booked a banquet hall but quickly cancelled that venue due to financial issues. We recently booked a very nice Community Center Ballroom which we really like, we had booked and we were waiting for approval. The gentleman who handles the permits called me this morning and let me know that they will be preparing the contract for me and will be contacting me in a few days so that everything can be finalized. My wedding date was supposed to be for Saturday April 18th 2020. He literally called me 15 minutes ago to let me know that for some odd mix up, my chosen date was not available. I could either choose Saturday April 25th, 2020 or Saturday April 11th, 2020. Of course, we would prefer the 11th because it's sooner. Of course... Upon looking at my calendar, I see that the day after our wedding is Easter Sunday so!! Our wedding would now be falling on a holiday weekend! What do you guys think about all of this? My fiance thinks that we should just keep it to this date, and then just send the invitations a little bit earlier to let everyone know of the changes... What do you all think??

25 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on September 12, 2019 at 01:08
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you can avoid having your wedding on Easter weekend, then avoid it. Holiday weekends seem to complicate things because some people are busy all 3 days of those weekends (DH and I are always busy Saturday-Monday for Easter for example).

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My only problem I'd personally have with an Easter wedding is neither me nor my FH would be able to get the day off. We both work in industries where its 24/7 and our seniority isn't good enough to get holiday weekends off. If I could get the time off I'd love to go to a wedding on a long weekend....
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know it may seem like extra work, but why not have a big Easter celebration with your whole family while they're all together? Have someone else host Easter so that you don't have to do it! Do most of your family care about Easter anyway??
  • Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the clarification, and your input, Vinod!Smiley heart

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes.

A suggestion putting myself in your shoes considering the Easter Sunday following and your guests declining on that basis. A later weekend date that is better to work having your guests not to have any excuse to attend.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Vinod,

Are you saying that I should move my date past the 25th?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

By the looks of making a smart choice of cancelling your banquet hall and going community center is great.

The date mix up of your wedding should be few days later to the 25th since that would work for you both better and have that date on the card rather than having your guests be told later on.

We chose our date upon knowing what we wanted to go with in the first place booking our venue. Later on after showing the card to my parents, the question of changing the date was questioned why Friday over Sunday. The answer was easy by saying the price was the same and it was chosen already making no difference plus it gave our family and guests time to sleep nicely through the night after the event and have family time at my brothers home the day after on Saturday before leaving Sunday.

Make it simple and easy for yourselves as for your guests so it doesn't change on them when they need to book their time off and realize they may not be able to after even for the airline tickets to book.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much for your much needed feedbackSmiley heart

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Send out save the dates asap!!! so people know. not sure how religious your families are but for me no one would even notice lol the only thing to be careful is some places charge more for a long weekend so check ur contract before you sign and send it back to them. if there are no issues who cares your getting married sooner!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    When I sent out save the dates, I had put the wrong year! I wrote the year we were in and not the following year, so it looked like the wedding was in the past. We had sent email save the dates. So, I sent out an email and tried to make a joke of it saying we had been in a time warp and the wedding hadn’t happened yet and we would work out the kinks by the time we sent invitations out so we weren’t telling people the wedding was in another country. I think you can do something similar—it’s more informal but just send an email or message on social media explaining the date is actually the week before and you hope they can still make and the invitation will follow shortly. I think you can get away with sending the invitations 6 months ahead now, which I guess is almost here!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just re do the save the dates and you will be fine! People will make it work if they want to be there. You got this !

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmmm, if it were me - I wouldn't send physical ones but I would send an email save the date and put *revised wedding date* in the subject line or at the top of the email.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Becky,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I appreciate it!! It makes me feel a lot better.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It def happens but most people are home for the holiday anyway. I am invited to a wedding on thanksgiving weekend and I am fine with it. We get to see all of the family one place, no one has to cook and we all get to have fun !

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah,

It kinda sucks!! Initially, we had sent out the save the dates by email anyway! LOL I'm all for saving money! So yeah, all I'd be doing is re sending the save the dates with the revised date. There's no way the venue will do anything for me, I asked him last night if there is something that can be done for the inconvenience, and he said the same thing you said essentially! LOL. Sigh...

• T
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Tinaka ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yikes. Thats awful.

I personally wouldnt send out more Save the Dates. I would use an online service and send some emailed save the dates so you arent eating more cost. The correct date will be on the invitation which is more important I think.

Perhaps depending on the venue and the circumstances maybe ask them for a discount to make up for the for the mistake since your save the dates were sent out with trust that your date was available. Im not sure how willing they would be with that as typically you cannot guarantee anything 100% until a contract is signed and a deposit is paid.
  • Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw, a destination wedding sounds so nice! Yeah this would have for sure worked perfectly in your favour. Yeah it definitely might be another story for me since 90 percent of guests are local. But. We'll stick to this date. We may have a lower attendance, but we truly can't please everyone.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Tori,

As I've told other poster friends, I already had sent out save the dates in confidence. So now, should I resend them with the new dates? Sigh. I should have just put "April 2020" on my save the dates and not specified the date. I would not have been in this situation. Thank you so much for your feedback.

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much, Stephanie! I had already sent out the save the dates when we were planning for the banquet hall (and in that time, we changed venues but the dates remained the same.) The man at the centre showed me his calendar and was able to show me that the dates were in fact available. Later last evening he said while he was going through pending permits, he realized someone had chosen the date before I came in and did, it's just that the person's permit was somehow overlooked. They have to be fair and contact this person, give them my date. So Now, do I resend the save the dates?

• Andrea
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Tinaka,

Thank you so much for your feedback. And I agree. Those who really want to be there will come, regardless of the date. The only thing is, is that I chose the date in confidence because the venue told me in confidence that the 18th was available. I was able to see the calendar. So, I did end up sending out save the dates weeks ago with the 18th being the date of choice. Now, am I supposed to resend the save the dates with the new dates?

• T
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Tinaka ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My philosophy is kinda harsh, I believe its your wedding and do what you guys want. Again just give people lots of time and the mentioning of Easter weekend directly on the save the dates would be good too.

I want a small and intimate wedding with only the closest people to me invited. I feel the important people in your life will make it no matter what the date is and those who choose not to come or cannot make it souly cause of the holiday obviously dont view it as important so do I really want them there anyway?

Again just as long as you give them lots of heads up.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go for the long weekend. Send out save the dates so people are aware of the date. Some people may decide to skip it to continue their Easter traditions or attend a family dinner, but other people who live further may be more willing to make the trip. As long as people have enough notice, they can make the arrangements to be there.
    weddings on long weekends are becoming more common. And, easy favours: Easter eggs!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on how drunk the easter bunnies are going to get at the wedding Smiley tongue As long as the easter eggs make their way to the right place for all the kids then I doubt that people will be upset unless they are heavily religious.

For sure recommend the save the dates sooner rather than later and to even mention on them that it's easter weekend. I wouldn't think to realize that and then only realize closer to looking at the date and it may end up being a problem if I wasn't thinking and already made plans. (obviously if I made plans a wedding is more important - but it would suck to cancel and I can't say that others consider a wedding as top priority.)

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is going to be on April 11th 2020! We are doing a destination wedding so it worked well for us to ask our guests to travel at a time when they already get extra days off of work... Might be a different story if it was local, but we haven't had any pushback about the date!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of people do weddings on long weekends. Everyone has a couple days off, and in your case they would have a super long weekend if they get Friday and Monday off.
    It wouldn’t bother me to go to a wedding on Easter weekend, but my family is pretty flexible when we celebrate holidays because of everyone’s work schedules.

re you doing save the dates? If you are I would send them out once the dates and things are finalized with your venue. Then people have a long time to prepare.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics