Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

What not to do

Stephanie, on January 6, 2018 at 03:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5

I'm sure many of us have been to at least one wedding. Have you seen anything at other weddings that you thought "I'll have to remember to not do that for my wedding..."

For me, one was a relative who spent the week before her wedding running around doing little errands and buying some of the decor. I realized I wanted to have that all done.

My SIL got her hair dyed the week of the wedding and it came out too dark so she had to get it re-done a day or two before the wedding.

And, another friend didn't change his seating chart after some people backed out and he invited others (we were a close group of 7 families and he only invited those his age at first and then the parents later) so the parents didn't know where to sit and our table became extra crowded while other tables ended up being almost empty. So, I learned to revise the seating chart when people backed out!

Those are all the lessons I can think of at the moment!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ellen, on January 9, 2018 at 09:23
  • Ellen
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Ellen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was just at a wedding, where the bar was outside of the hall we were in, which was fine, except the venue wouldn't let them keep the doors open, and the bride and groom were out at the bar the whole night, which resulted in no one dancing. I feel bad that they spent so much money on a DJ and no one danced. A second issue was there was over 2.5 hours between the ceremony and cocktail hour, and the ceremony and reception were in the middle of nowhere, so everyone had 2.5 hours to kill.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a friend who had like almost 2 hours of speeches at her reception. It was crazy! My husband and I gave people a time limit when we asked them to speak so we could avoid this.

Don't invite people to your wedding just because someone else thinks they should be there. One of my SIL's invited some old family friends because her mother wanted her to and she eventually regretted it as she then couldn't invite a few of her friends.

Don't make any drastic changes to your look or wardrobe the week of the wedding.

Make sure that you have an MC and make it someone who doesn't get stage fright. We went to a wedding where the MC was a person who is quite shy and nervous and it was a little painful to listen to him.

Accept help when it is offered because more likely than not you need it and it will make you feel better.

• Olivia
    Curious January 2019 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Accept help
    have a DJ or band
    Have the dietary restriction foods come out at the same time as the rest of the food
    Get second and third opinions on seating charts and make sure no one at a table has long standing family rivalries
    Hire/Have someone be your day of coordinated/point person

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep everything simple and list of wedding tasks. Check mark each task off as its completed. Prepare bags to know what set up idms for later or earlier event. Don't be running around the day of the wedding, delegate duties to the wedding party.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with having everything done way in advance. Thats one of my biggest nightmares is not having everything together at the end. Thats also another reason why we got a wedding coordinator.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics