Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Frequent user January 2021 Alberta

What "hidden costs" snuck up on you?

Sara, on January 10, 2019 at 18:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

As a first (and only, I would hope) time bride, it is so difficult to get a real handle on all the different line items, fees and charges that end up creeping into the budget as plans solidify.

My fiance and I are trying to decide between several different options in terms of location, type of venue, and style and size of the wedding and I want to make a responsible decision. What I am concerned about is that we will book something that sounds great and then all the sudden there are more and more “little” things and fees that keep adding up that we didn’t anticipate.

I would really love if you past-brides can shine some light on what caught you off guard or what you might not have thought of when planning your estimated budget. If you could include the following I would be forever in your debt:

– Type of venue(s): Restaurant, resort, hotel, park, church, community hall, etc.

– Inclusive venue or multiple vendors (did you go with a venue that provided the food, alcohol and service staff, for example. What did it all include?)

– What fees, gratuities, charges, etc. crept up on you that you hadn’t anticipated when you put together your initial budget? (was there an extra charge for something you assumed was included? Gratuities or taxes? Cost overages? Etc)

– What questions do you wish you had asked that you didn’t? How would asking those questions have saved you time, money or stress?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on January 20, 2019 at 17:01
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oddly enough, when I was looking at wedding dresses and told them my budget, I was surprised by the taxes on top of the dress. If I said my budget was $$$$ it means that's the top of it - taxes in! I know it's dumb and I shouldn't have been surprised but I totally was.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Venue had a few. We did an all-inclusive but the cost for servers was on top, plus fees to play music, rental for sound system (since we didn’t do DJ), setting up chairs for ceremony, taxes and gratuity. It was all laid out in the contract, but not when we first inquired about their fees.

Thank you gifts for wedding party and others involved in the wedding.

Other than that, we just didn’t really think about how the majority of the money was being paid within a month. We had the money set aside in a different bank account and it was kind of surreal going in to empty our account and realize it was all for one day! Wouldn’t change that, but still a weird feeling!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find most of the hidden costs are in the venue itself. We're getting married at a hotel and are going with their all-inclusive package. This includes all taxes, gratuities, SOCAN (right to play music), service staff, food, open bar, etc. so when we were quoted our all-inclusive fee, it had a lot of stuff that would've crept up on us if we went more customized.

I actually didn't know about SOCAN until looking at venues, so it would've come to as a shock to me if it wasn't on the all-inclusive bill.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

During the planning of our wedding, there wasn't any hidden costs. Some venues may include in their contracts SOCA, the rights to charge if getting a DJ.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far there hasn't been anything that we weren't anticipating... *knock on wood*

I would say the only thing that I was caught off guard by - but totally makes sense and I should have seen it coming - is the damage deposit for my venue is $1,000!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This week while paying a vendor deposit with my credit card, I learned that there was a service fee for paying with card instead of cheque or etransfer. It’s a little over $20 and a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, but if i’d known there would be a service fee, I wouldn’t have chosen to pay via credit card.

So beware of service fees.

also - special event permits and venue insurance

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics