Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

What has been your biggest wedding splurge so far?

Lynnie, on March 7, 2018 at 11:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28

What's been your biggest wedding splurge so far?

Whether it was the biggest cost or something you went way over-budget for, what splurge stands out?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

For more community conversations about wedding splurges and your budget, check out: Splurge or Save? , Budget breakdown: how are you divvying things up? , and What busted your budget?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Dani, on March 10, 2018 at 02:34
  • Dani
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Food/Venue/Drinks then Video/Photo.
    After a lot of research I decided to save big on the small stuff that will end on the bottom of the drawer or the trash... like decor (decided to go simple with balloons and lots of DIY), flowers (apart from my bouquet, everything else will be the fake/real touch flowers, thank you Etsy), invitations (went from $700 to $200 with vistaprint) and Dress (almost paid $1200 in a beautiful gown but did my research and ended up going half the price). Can't wait for August to get here! \o/<o>\o/
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Jillian,

We're getting married at Aquatopia in Ottawa.

It's absolutely beautiful if you're planning to get married in the Ottawa area.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All inclusive menu for the reception, including alcohol. Simply ouch but totally worth it and frees lots of space in my head!
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ceremony venue and photographer. We really wanted a good photographer and the one we loved was over budget, so we bit the bullet and went for it. And I fell in love with our ceremony location as soon as we visited.

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are looking also at all inclusive venues! Where is yours going to be? We have yet to decide which one is the best bang for our buck
  • Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahah me too. I feel like im addicted to it now. My fiance thinks im crazy for crying over people i dont even no ha!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I cry watching other people’s videos so I’m sure I’ll be a mess watching mine! Lol just seems like such a special keep sake 💕
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's SO worth it! Videography was a big splurge for me as well 💸

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think our caterer and rentals were the biggest splurge.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Photographer and all of my decor!! So worth it though!
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg SAME! I have 2 dresses and my 1st dress cost double what I had budgeted to spend on both. It's a pnina tornai and once I tried it I looked around more but couldn't live without it. My mom loved it so much for me that she's paying for half, but it still breaks the bank. So worth it though Smiley smile
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Venue and photographer! Décor is still a possible large purchase.. but I’m trying to find the best price for the quality I’m looking for.
  • Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ruched chair covers

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Venue for sure (food/booze) then photographers.

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The venue takes 1/3 of the budget as planned. But my wedding gown was the one I didn't take into consideration. It was almost 3 times above what I budgeted. It took me 1.5 months to decide if I should break my budget and get the gown. In the end, I did. It's a once in a life time thing anyway.

• Charlene
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely the venue!
  • Kathleen
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue followed by who we’re thinking of choosing for photography!
  • Kathleen
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s the same as our venue! All about that no stress life! Haha
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We ended up spending $1000 more on photography than we had originally planned! Part of that was not realizing how much it actually costs, and part of it was falling in love with a photographer early on!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue. Omg so much money.

BUT the food is amazing and the place is gorgeous. They also do all the set up/tear down and worrying about the day. It's going to be great.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far I’d say videography, it’s not something we initially budgeted for, we were just going to have photography and then I decided we HAD to have it lol but I’ve heard it’s worth it so im hoping I won’t have any regrets Smiley smile
  • Samantha
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lol oh gosh. Definitely the venue and photography. If venue is to obvious then I’d say wedding bands in its place.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding dress(es). Yep, I've purchased 2 and now I'm not even sure if i'll wear my second one lol

• Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It will be the DJ and Photobooth if we go ahead with that! We were originally going to get family to control the music, but have thought about maybe hiring someone.

I have already decided to scale back the cake otherwise it just might have been that.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say the venue. We had to squeeze our budget a little further to make it work, but we have no regrets so far!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far our venue and ceremony space are both over budget. I’m pretty confident some items are going to be crossed off the list due to this lol.
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This one is hard to pick out individually because our venue is all inclusive - so I'm just going to go with the venue overall.

I couldn't be happier with our choice to have our amazing venue and their ability to take care of everything but the first look at the bill was a bit of a heart-stopper. They really do take care of almost all the details - personal coordinator (my fave part), venue, ceremony space, tables & chivari chairs, catering for 120 people, servers & bartenders, flowers & greenery, all stem & dinnerware, set up, takedown & clean up, all alcoholic & non-alcoholic drinks, dj services, hotel suite for the night etc - literally almost everything. We just show up with a minister & photographer.

I don't think it was ever in our plans to have an expensive wedding but as this place breaks everything down into a payment plan we can not only afford it but it will all be paid off by the wedding and going into debt is not needed.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Probably the food... fiance saw prime rib carvery as an add on so we're splurging a bit on that!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics