Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alycia
Expert March 2020 Ontario

What did you Book first?

Alycia, on February 12, 2019 at 08:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 49

So I finally booked my Venue! It’s been stressing me out, I am someone that worries a lot so I wanted to make sure to have the venue secured asap. I booked my photographer first though, she’s a friend and a local photographer and I love supporting local young talent in the community. I own my own business too in the arts, so I know it can take patience working in a small town when you’re trying to grow your clientele so I thought of her right away! She’s awesome too ofcourse, and since we know each other it’ll be so much fun working with her on my wedding day and our engagement shoots!

I’m curious as to what I should be doing next, there’s all these great tools on wedding wire I know! However I really want to know what you all did first for your wedding planning, and what step are you working on now?

49 Comments

Latest activity by Alycia, on February 22, 2019 at 15:09
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks that’s awesome info, I think I’ll focus my attention to the officiant a music next. I have some decisions to make, we don’t know between a band and a DJ.. we have options for both that we like, I guess we should get some quotes from them next.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on what kind of wedding you are having.

My venue is a restaurant so when i booked that was venue and catering taken care of at the same time - which are probably the most important.

I would probably look into officiants next - you have a lot of time but you never know, they can book up pretty fast as well.

DJ (if you are having one)... For me those were all the big things including photography.. Transportation and accommodations as well if you require those.

The rest is the fun stuff.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that’s o exciting! 60 days left, Smiley smile I bet you’re getting excited, your wedding sounds like it’ll be so unique and beautiful!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our venue first, and then our caterer. Next we selected our photographer.

My mother's officiating and this we've always known would happen.

With less than 60 days left, we're working on those finer details, like playlists, vows etc.

We've also opted to forgo many traditions, so our to do list hasn't been as extensive as some others.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome! I will get on the officiant next, I have someone in mind. Though I still need to meet with her and ask Smiley smile

I’m love it too, no one understands the planning process better! It’s also really fun to see what others are planning and be able to ask advice anytime. I feel like I might be bugging my family and friends sometimes lol.

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would book the person that will marry you after you have your venue secured. Then start with your reception planning. Need a DJ or band? Caterer or a bartender? That is how I started mine and the puzzle pieces are coming together nicely. I got my dress and the hubby to be got his suit, so now it is on to hair and makeup for me! Best of luck. I love this app that allows us to connect with all kinds of people in varying stages of planning.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I’m getting excited, we also really wanted to get married on our anniversary! So we locked down our venue asap! It falls on a Saturday so it’s a popular day to book, it’ll be our 10 year anniversary on our wedding day!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are just under 20 months out but booked the venue only a few days after being engaged haha. I was SUPER attached to getting married on our anniversary date, and we both only wanted one venue in our city. So we locked that down and we just booked the photographer. I think we will just relax now until the fall and then start on the other stuff. Feels good to have the pricey things out of the way (we are going to self DJ - FH used to be a DJ in his younger years and he still has all his set up so my groom will also be my DJ lol).

It is tough to just not get everything set up and booked. Probably looking at The Officiant next.

Sounds like you are on the right track, congrats and happy planning!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn’t go that big, but I orginally thought 50-60, counted and got to 85 with only family and we have 20 or so friends, so now were up to 105 lol. Though I’m always reminded not everyone will be able to come! So there’s that I guess lol

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Too big lol. Went from 80 to 120 to our current 160. Low for some people still but double our original number!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah! If I remember correctly, Robyn, you’re having a pretty big wedding too, right?

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley xd I can definitely see that!!

• A
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is super helpful thank you
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm in the GTA so that might make a difference, but I really lucked out with photo/video ($5k combined) and flowers and decor (same vendor for both, paying about $2k for decor and $2k for minimal flowers). Wouldn't go over $120 personally for hair. Hope that helps Smiley smile
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think getting the invitations back is one of the most exciting parts Smiley smile
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It’s really hard, I was so torn about the venue decision for so long. It’s not until last week and I visited the last venue, I just knew it was the right fit after seeing everything and talking to the event coordinator, he was so nice and easy to talk to it felt as though we knew each other already lol. Everything together was what decided it, my FH loves the place too so we decided on it together!

• A
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is great thank you, yah I have done a bit of research it's hard when I get really into making sure I find the best price and like have looked at everything or else I'm not 100% satisfied
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OUH! Did you buy your dress first? I gotta ask my moms friend if she’ll officiate, I haven’t done it yet, I’m not too worried but I should ask soon so she can save the date it falls March break next year so I wanna let ppl know asap.. I feel early but for teachers and stuff I think it’ll be important.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s a really good question, I had no clue either! I searched around me, the cheapest option is a hall or community Center (400-600) DON’T QUOTE ME ON THESE PRICES lol I’m just giving you the approx researche numbers i came up with lol, you’re usually in charge of everything though, some supply bars and others you have to take care of getting the bar service.. So dispite being cheapest it also gets you less than other options, but if you’re going to DIY and be thrifty go for it! Then there’s also cold course venues, or wedding venues (usually based on number of guests, I found 75-100/p.p.) AGAIN JUST MY NUMBERS I FOUND lol, you’ll pay a little more having this private club style event, but they can supply almost everything in that price (catering, decor, table setting, centerpieces sometimes.), which gives you less to worry about on the day of.

Do your research near you! Also be sure to figure out what you want your wedding say to look like, stuff like will the ceremony also be in the same venue or at a church or different venue nearby.

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked my officiant and venue same day. I had my dress already and wedding rings etc
  • A
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm just starting planning, I'm wondering what kind of pricing
    To expect for each of those important vendors?
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have a dress appointment Tuesday, I can’t wait. I made my invites and ordered them yesterday because there was a 40% off sale! SO excited to receive them!!!!

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our venue first too! Then I got my dress and we did the invites, the photographer/videographer, cake, and florist/decor company. We are still looking for a DJ, transportation, and his suit.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had mentioned the venues I was considering, she didn’t seem bothered by it. The furthest one is the one we chose, so I really wanted to make sure she was okay with traveling a little its an hour and 10 mins away. She said that’s no problem, she don’t even charge a travel fee because it’s not far enough, she charges that for weddings in Toronto (4h1/2 away) and stuff! I was so happy lol, I was happy to pay it if I needed to. She’s really excited to see our venue, she’s heard about it and she heard it’s a fun place for photographers

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was the opposite of you haha I wanted to book our photographers first, they are also friends of mine but they wouldn't book us until we had a venue. So the first thing we did was find a venue.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You’re very welcome! It would be fun to run into you there! Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'll definitely look into it Smiley smile

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The event is one I found on facebook, it’s only April 6th and 7th I think.

I took a screen shot since I figured it was simpler to show you, you can probably find it too if you have facebook.

Screenshot of Antique event.What did you Book first? 1

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Is it only on the 6th? I’m not near Ottawa but I do have a brother who lives there who I’ve been meaning to visit lol. This might be the right excuse for that lol.

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one. I’ve never considered finding an antique for a card box but that’s such a good idea!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's what we've booked, in order!

- Venue (includes ceremony and catering, which they'll cover);

- Photographer;

- Officiant;

- DJ;

-...bought my dress!

- Florist (fake flower designer!!)

Now we're working on our Save the Dates, which we'll be sending out tomorrow! WOOHOO!!!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds like fun, the card box though, I feel I’ll be in the same boat lol. I want to find something different and not just a basic box. I’m going to an antiques market on April 6th I am hoping to find something cool there. It’s in Ottawa if you’re nearby and wanna check it out.

I saw things on amazon but nothing stood out. And Micheals has a special on some stuff but nothing unique.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I’m on the same track as you, the Venue caters so I’m at DJ now! We have some big decisions to make, but at least it’s something that I have time to think about. So much was relying on the Venue lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics