Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Were you surprised by the dress you picked?

Joey, on June 4, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 32

When you said yes to the dress, was it the style you always pictured? Was there anything about the dress that surprised you?

Were you surprised by the dress you picked? 1

Photo by Audrey Boivin Photography

32 Comments

Latest activity by Katrina, on August 12, 2018 at 18:10
  • Katrina
    Curious July 2020 Ontario
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a bridal consultant at a wedding dress store I was very surprised as to what I chose originally going in knowing body types and myself I figured I would go for a very simple Slim fit and flare or Sheath dress slowly through my appointment my mom kept pushing me to try on big poofy ball gowns at first I told her no but then I decided what the hell let's do it for fun and all of a sudden I was in the biggest sparkliest dress in the store and I fell in love. my dress is completely different than my original Vision but I'm absolutely in love with it and I did realize with going with a fuller looser skirt that when they yell desserts I can run to them I'll also really be able to bust a move when dancing no restrictions for this gal!
  • Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew before I ever tried it on... somehow!

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haven’t even been dress shopping yet, but I have saved pictures of ones I like.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes didn't think I would go ball gown and it has a lot more bling that I thought. But I got the color (red/burgundy) I wanted so that made me so happy.

It's so hard to find a dress that is completely one solid color other than white or ivory!

• Charmaine
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Charmaine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was very surprised. I knew I wanted a halter top, which I did get. I had envisioned it with a straight chiffon skirt, but ended up with a much fuller skirt and absolutely love it. Looks much more bridal.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing I thought I wanted was a more interesting skirt. The skirt on my dress is just chiffon but there is lots of beading on the bodice which makes up for it.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes and no. I'm wearing a lace tea length dress. I have always loved lace dresses so that was no surprise. But I hadn't pictured my self wearing a short dress since I was a young girl. Ever since I got engaged I thought I wanted either a flowy gown or a ball gown. When I was around 10-16 I had always wanted a short dress but I thought I had changed my mind as I grew, I was surprised to learn that I had not!
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Originally I wanted a specific Maggie sottero mermaid gown, but after two years I fell Inlove with ball gowns.. so not exactly surprised but I did get exactly what I wanted Smiley smile
  • Marcia
    Beginner January 2019 Ontario
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In a word, Yes! Lol.

I thought I wanted a white, A-line lace gown. I ended up saying yes to a mermaid shoulette with ivory lace & beading on top flowing to a blush colour tulle on the bottom. Style & colour I never thought I’d choose but ended up looking the best on me Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew I wanted something fitted but I didn't think it would have a complete lace overlay. As soon as I tried my dress on though I was in love!!!

My DressWere you surprised by the dress you picked? 2

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Actually...No, not surprised at all. I fell in love with a BHLDN dress online. Decided to just order it. I was going to be thinking about it while shopping and comparing everything to it anyways.

And its perfect. Didn't set foot in one store!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so pretty! I love the lace on the bodice! This dress has this really simple elegance to it and you look gorgeous in it! Are you wearing your hair down on the day of?
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I love long veils, I think they are an amazing statement piece!!

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted lace with wider straps and a daring deep open back that was the star of the show- no way, no how- strapless.

So, long story short, I have a strapless (OMG sweetheart of all things - egads) fully beaded gown with tulle. I even turned my nose up a bit when the lady brought it in and thought I'd try it since what else did I have to do that day.... and bam!

I knew the silhouette that would look best so I did stick to that, but that didn't keep me from trying a few that were complete opposite just because they were beautiful in their own right.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks - yes, that's how I knew this was the right dress for me. Out of my MANY appointments (9 or so), and nearly 100 dresses I tried on - this was the ONLY one that made me feel happy.

• Megs
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Megs ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I went to try on dresses I wanted a classic lace fitted gown. But I was very adamant that I wanted structured lace, not lace I’d find at grandmas house and absolutely no ball gowns and no sequins/beading or glitter. I wanted a gown to show off my figure and all of them looked beautiful, but just weren’t right. So I asked my consultant to pull a dress for me that she thought would be different but still flatters me. She pulled this one and I fell so in love with it! It’s flowy, had the structured lace I wanted, but it’s a totally different silhouette than I envisioned.

Were you surprised by the dress you picked? 3
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much Alexandra! Smiley heart

• Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh I love ball gowns! They always give me a princessy feeling when I see them! You look so beautiful and SO happy!

• Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That has a beautiful shape! And I love the beading! You look gorgeous!

• Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That dress is stunning! It's a beautiful shape on you too! And I'm a sucker for a long veil Smiley tongue

• Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

GUYS you're supposed to post pictures so I can oggle at the pretty dresses Smiley tongue I can't go shopping for a few months yet so please do me a solid and give me some pretty pics!

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes and no. I have 2 dresses. The first one the silhouette is trumpet which I want to wear but FH is not a fan because of the fitted look. It's ivory with champagne under tone. Sweetheart neckline with beading and strapless. The second dress is a ballgown which FH loves to see me on. Sweetheart neckline with lace strap, lace and white. Both dresses are so opposite that I'm not sure which one I should wear to ceremony and reception.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sort of! I thought I would end up going lace... my mom had convinced me I should get sleeves or straps (the first appointment of the day, everyone was convinced of a long sleeve, white, lacey gown, that had very little poof or anything to it...)...

Then I went to another salon where I had tried on a dress alone a few months earlier. I save it to last, and everyone started crying instantly. I knew I wanted trumpet, but the strapless, corset, and crazy beading was a surprise to me!

Were you surprised by the dress you picked? 4

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress is fairly on point. I didn't really know exactly what I wanted except I knew I liked A-line.. not that poofy and something LIGHT/vintage/romantic.

When I went into the store, I told the consultant I just wanted something light, vintagey and romantic and she pulled this dress which was perfect. It's more 'girly' then I thought it would be.. my mum said it was more 'delicate' then she expected but it's perfect.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Courtney!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE your dress.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing that was a little bit of surprise to me was that my dress has straps and I initially wanted strapless. My dress is flowy (but not pouffy), has beading, and a train: all aspects I was looking for. My runner up was completely different, it was fit and flare, off the shoulder sleves, and not as beaded.

Were you surprised by the dress you picked? 5

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress was, essentially, exactly opposite everything I wanted originally. In fact, it was so opposite, I almost didn't try it on! The only thing similar was the silhouette (ballgown).

I wanted lace, cap sleeves (or at the very least, thick straps), ivory or blush, NO beading, no handkerchief hem...

What I got was this:

Were you surprised by the dress you picked? 6

Pure white, strapless, beaded handkerchief hem gown with no lace to be seen! And it's absolutely perfect!

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! I wanted long sleeves, off the shoulder, open back, fitted, and more couture. I ended up with a dress that is fitted but no sleeves, illusion neck and back, and a much more conventional bridal look.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was surprised by it! I expected something with sleeves, or straps, lots of lace, and a bit of poof. I also wanted a blush dress.

I ended up with a champagne dress, simple uncomplicated A-line dress, sleeveless, but I am adding beautiful straps. A little bit of drama in the chest area (beautiful lace, and some shimmer). I am thrilled by my choice!

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes and No. The silhouette and neckline of my dress is exactly what I wanted, but I thought I wanted something silver instead of white. But, after some pressure from outside opinions, I settled on white and after months of internal debate, I'm happy to be wearing white.
  • Katie
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was very surprised! I was expecting to end up in something with a lot of lace and sleeves, but ended up falling in love with a dress that has no lace, and is strapless but I will be adding thin straps to

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics