Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kim
Newbie August 2018 Alberta

Wedding planner: to get or not to get

Kim, on December 21, 2017 at 11:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
I need some help with this. Do you guys think this is necessary? I know it’s going to be a big day and I don’t want to take on too much (which seems to be my thing), but is a wedding planner necessary?

- Bride on a budget

26 Comments

Latest activity by Tradingabyss, on January 8, 2018 at 05:08
  • Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It all comes down to money for me...I haven't decided but im hoping too. I know there are people that will be willing to help but I want it done the way Ive been thinking of for so long. If it comes down to it I will just have to give up a little control and let other people help out of the goodness of their hearts!

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on your budget. I have my wedding planning certificate and will start doing my own business in the next year or so after mine. But day of coordinators are handy as they take a lot of pressure off of you unless you have someone in your bridal party/family who is willing and ABLE to take on the task of this. So far the most difficult thing is working with my FH on some things as he wants to be involved in everything but than tells me to do it or doesn't have time as he is overwhelmed with the little bit of wedding stuff I do give him that day to process. I feel like I am behind in all honesty. So i figure that planning someone else's wedding could only be easier. lol

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I so agree. I hired aa day of coordinator through my decor vendor and they gave me the month of package! Because a planned my engagement party on my own for 100 people and I know how much when into it, there was no way I would enjoy my wedding with 225 guests if I had to do it all!
    Everyone I know who's had one says it's the best money they've ever spent!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How many people are attending?
  • Samantha
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like everyone else has said, it's not really necessary. A lot of venues have a day-of coordinator or sometimes a wedding planner is included. I've only used this website, and everything is pretty much completed. I would say take advantage of all free or low-cost options before trying to make room in your budget for something that isn't really necessary. There are lots of Facebook groups for people in your area, maybe get some local businesses to do things (DJs, photographers, decorations, etc.) it's good promotion for them and less money for you, too.

I'm on a very tight budget but getting married on a Friday has lowered our costs at least by $2,000.00, too, if you really want a wedding planner and haven't set a specified date.

• Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't need one, but a day of coordinator makes the day less stressful. But If you're bridal party or family member can help keep things flowing don't get one.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope not necessary, it would be an extra expense. And once I discovered helpful communities such as this one and facebook groups, they helped me answer all and any questions that I have pertaining to the big day. Also if you have friends/family members that recently got married you can ask them questions as well.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only have one because it was included in the price of our venue, otherwise we weren't going to get one. It depends on how organized the couple getting married is I find, some can handle all the little details and some don't really organize that well. It also depends if your wedding party is organized and calm enough to help handle anything that comes up close to the wedding or even the day of.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You definitely don’t need a planner but if you have room in your budget, and the location doesn’t come with one, a Day-of coordinator is awesome to have just to smooth out anything on the day of so you don’t need to worry.
  • Anastasia
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Anastasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a lot of friends that are married and have helped plan a lot of weddings so for me it isn't necessarily worth it.
    You can also buy wedding planner books from places like Chapters as well.

But I'd say if you lead a very full life, it would be worth it to have someone taking the lead on planning and only coming to you with the final decisions.
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired a wedding planner, and it's been the best money I have spent so far! They are expensive and I don't think everyone needs one. If you think you have enough time to commit to planning a wedding and a good support system, I don't think you necessarily need a planner for the whole planning process, but I would consider getting a day of coordinator.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with you, I was looking at a wedding planner and they are expensive. See if you really need them, or if your bridesmaids can tackle the job.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I second this! My planner is a life saver!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh!!!! However, I do recommend buying a hard copy of a planner!!! It is so helpful!!!!!!!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you feel its neccessary to have a planner, review them first to see if they worth the service. If you have everything under control, then its unneeded expense to save on.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not necessarily it depends! I am not using one though. I am doing quite a bit but I am have had many months to plan.
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it necessary either. As long as you have a good support system. Lots of people helping to get it all done and help with ideas. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Make sure to have fun!
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d say just depends on how much other help you have. We got one with the venue, but prob wouldn’t hire one otherwise cause I trust my mama and bridesmaids to help out!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got one because we wanted to be able to enjoy the day stress free. The wedding planner takes over everything so if anything is going array, she steps in and takes over and fixes it without us knowing unless we absolutely need to be made aware.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We might end up doing this, there is a chance we will be moving province soon so I'll definitely need someone here to plan for me!
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with a planner because we just did not have time to deal with everything and our wedding was in a different province than we lived, so it was easier for us to do that and we decided it would be our one big splurge.

If budget is an issue, then look into a day-of coordinator. This way they can handle all the vendors on your big day and you can enjoy your day.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your on a budget and it doesn't allow for one than go by this website for help. Totally awesome and if you have a local facebook wedding chat as well go there. Some people do get day of coordinators to help them out for a lot less. I love planning and also a beginner wedding planner so I'm still learning everything and the ropes. Collect all the information you need. Wedding shows are helpful as well. Don't settle for things unless your happy and within your budget.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's necessary to be honest especially when you have websites like this where people are always willing to help and have answers for all questions. If you have friends or family that recently got married you can ask them loads of questions and they would gladly help out I'm sure. I've heard that wedding planners can get you hooked up with certain vendors that have discounted prices but even then you are still paying more money to have a planner than not.

As for the day of I plan to just let my FSILs know how I want certain things set up and I'm going to have them make sure the decorations and all that are set up properly before I see the final product. As long as you have friends and family members willing to help out I don't see a wedding planner necessary.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't think it was necessary, especially on a budget. I like planning and details and coming up with ideas, so I didn't think it necessary. But, for someone who doesn't enjoy those things, or is easily stressed by those things, a wedding planner would be helpful, if you can find room in your budget.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Planners are so expensive! There was no way that we were going to get one. Luckily for us the owner not our venue is also a wedding planner, and her daughter is too. So for a small additional charge she will be our planner for the month before our wedding as well as the day of!
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wedding planners are so so expensive, however use your wedding coordinator at your venue they will be your go to the day of!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics