Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bridget
Curious August 2018 Alberta

Wedding Photography Cost?

Bridget, on February 10, 2018 at 01:09 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19

Hello Everyone!

I am wondering what the average cost is for wedding photography? Do I really need to hire a photographer for a full 8 hour day? Would 4 hours or less be sufficient? I have a budget of around $2000 or less. Thanks for your help!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Margaret, on August 22, 2020 at 21:36
  • Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The photographers I’ve spoken to cost atleast $5000- $6000 for 10 hours of service. I chose a well established studio since our wedding is in December and I didn’t want to take any chances in the event of weather or illness.
  • Erin
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow, $1700 for all of that!! Do you mind me asking what province you are in and who your photographer is? I’ve been searching for a photographer and everything I’ve found is closer to $2700 plus for all of what you mentioned.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Speak to as many vendors possible and find out their rates and hours. Compare what is provided in their service eliminating your choices down to 3 best pricing and services you require. Once you have made your choice, its clear you know who your vendor will be for the day.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m still glad we went with the 10 hours but the getting ready photos are my least favourite of the bunch. I haven’t gotten any of those printed. I do think it was worth it to spend the amount of money we did. There were a ton of creative shots! And they really did a great job of capturing everything.
  • T
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Tricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How did it end up?!

• T
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Tricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you end up happy with who you used?

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Bridget!

We initially had a budget of $2000 for our photographer as well, and I quickly realized that while it is doable, there might be a sacrifice in quality and time. So we ended up closer to $4000 for 8 hours including engagement and a print credit. But having photos was important to me, and I have yet to come across a bride & groom who say they "wasted" money on the photographer. I think 4 hours would only cover a small portion of the wedding but if you are not concerned with getting ready, detailed or reception photos then maybe that is the way to go! I did research and went through instagram #yycweddingphotographers to see which styles I liked best and that is how we ended up booking with our photographer. There is for sure some sticker shock there! Good luck!

It sounds like Alberta does have a higher price range based on the other comments here.

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Photos are very important! Do a lot of research and always check out the reviews Smiley smile
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    4 hours would cover your ceremony and part of your reception. Depending on the time between them.
    If you were wanting more coverage of the reception or coverage when you’re getting ready with your girls.. I would say go for more.
    I paid $2400 for 10 hours
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have our photographer for 10 hours with a second shooter (a student) for $3200. He also did an engagement photoshoot which was 2 hours long. If you want good photos you need to pay a good price.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on what you want. We are having a full day with no time limit or extra costs. The reason this was important was because I want pictures of me and my girls getting ready and spending time together and my fiance and his boys getting ready and spend time together too. I want pictures of my guests having a good time during the reception, I want detail pictures of all the decoration/cake/etc. Plus it'll be about 2 hours worth of photography after the ceremony. My photographer also wants to take some night photos. So for $1700 we get and engagement session, full day, two photographers, unlimited pictures including full edit versions.
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked a photographer for 4 hours and that is going to be $1200. I think 4 hours is plenty of time. If your going to do that make sure you have a timeline and everyone knows that you have the photographer for 4 hours. Ours told us that he will be very bossy on the day that way he can make sure we get the photos we want.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have heard from here such high pricing for Alberta. I know in Ontario its not as high depending on what you want done. Packagea can start at $1500.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would depend how much coverage you want throughout the day. If you only want key moments photographed then you don't need as long which means you potentially pay less. The more coverage you require the more it will cost.

I'm paying $3800 for 2 photographers for 10-12 hrs and it included our engagement shoot. All photos edited and on a USB, also they threw in a free wedding album as well.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 2 photographers for 8 hours for $2700. We're not getting married in the same province that we live in, so we did most of our research online and won't be doing engagement photos.

It's definitely worth sitting down with the photographer to discuss what they typically do on the day of the wedding and what you envision. They've seen it all and they know their stuff.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mm it seems like it to me but I don’t really know! It’s worth it to put the research in and go with someone who’s photos you like and/or if you get a referral. I did a ton of research and found there was a fine line between affordable and good quality.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted a 10-hour package because I want getting ready pics and some candies at the reception. Ours is $3000 for two photographers, engagement session and photo book. We had found a couple that were cheaper but I didn't like their photos as much.

I had been considering a shorter package and then having my brother take pictures during the reception, but I decided to spend a little more and have all pictures the same quality and style.

• Bridget
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Bridget ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great package! Ive researched a few photographers and their wedding packages are $2000 to $2300 for 4 hours, two photographers! Is this high?

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s totally a personal decision! It depends what you want to have photographed. Some people like the getting ready process, first look, snippets of ceremony, photos with the families and bridal party and candids.

Our package includes 2 photoshraphers for 10 hours, engagement session, and a custom photo book etc for $2000.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics