Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Featured August 2022 British Columbia

Wedding Party

Amanda, on September 29, 2020 at 14:18 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 44

Hello WeddingWire Family! How many people are in your wedding party? What made you decide on the number of people for your big day?

My fiance and I had talked about who we wanted to be in our wedding right after we had gotten engaged and we both agreed that we wanted a small wedding party!

We're defiantly not the typical couple that's going to have 5 or 6 people on each side standing up for us on our big day. We both agreed that we didn't want people in our wedding party just because everyone else has 5 or 6 in their weddings. We wanted our group to be people we were really close with. So we decided to have one person on each side standing up for us.

My MOH is my best friend of 6 years and my fiance's BM is his younger brother.

44 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on November 5, 2020 at 21:57
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly how I feel! It's my day and I didn't want to do what "the traditional way" of 5 or 6 bridesmaids

• Brooklyn
    Curious February 2021 Ontario
    Brooklyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do it how you want! It's your day!

My cousin recently got married and it was really important that she have her sisters and he wanted all his brothers and it coud only be siblings....

So they had 2 Bridesmaids, and 3 Groomsmen

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I bet! I can't imagine trying to get everybody together at the same time!

• E
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Ewa-Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah its definitely nice to know that we can count on people, but its also a bit of a con with trying to get everyone together at the same time.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome that you have so many people that are close to you!

• E
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Ewa-Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I have 9 and 9. He is Greek and I'm Polish so we have big families. Basically everyone in the wedding party is family and we couldn't imagine getting married without them by our side. On my side the MOH is my sister, his sister-in-law, my sister-in-law, 2 of his cousins and then 4 of my closest friends. On his side the BM is his cousin, my brother, his brother, 2 of my cousins and then 3 of the guys are husbands of my closest friends who also happen to be my FHs close friends and the last guy is a friend of his that he couldn't get married without having him by his side.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's wonderful that you've had friends that have been around for that long!

• Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen. I had initially chosen only 3, but my fiancée wanted 4 on each side.

My bridal party are friends from school. Two of them I have been friends with for over 14 years (since high school and they have known my fiancée since the start of our relationship) . Another is a friend of mine for about 13 years and I am a godmother to her daughter. And my other bridesmaid is a good friend of ours who we’ve known for 10 years.
  • Bethany
    Curious May 2021 Nova Scotia
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are trying to keep things simple. We both don't have a large group of friends that we are close enough to to have in the party (although many are invited in general!)

We both also wanted to keep the numbers even on each side. my MOH is my Fiance's sister and one of my close friends, and then I have 2 other close friends as my bridesmaids. My Fiance's BM is one of his cousins, his two other picks is another cousin, and one of my brothers that he is close with.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's wonderful that you have 5 on each side of you! And beautifully said!

• Melissa
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are having 5 and 5. I have two sisters and three life long friends I felt I wanted to include. And my fiancé is going to have 5 of his closest friends to match. But every couple is different. It’s not always about who’s been with you in the past but who will be with you moving forward in you new chapter. And you just because someone had you in your wedding that doesn’t mean they HAVE to be in yours. It’s your day and at the end of the day you will never be able to please everyone!
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiance and I are in the same boat as you with loosing touch with so many friends after we've moved. It was a hard choice to make to just have one standing up for each of us but we knew that only having one each is going to make it that much more special.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great that you have a lot of people around you! A lot of people don't have that

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very well said!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome though! You're very lucky to have that many people around you!

• Alison
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I both moved away from our hometowns. Hell I lived in 2 different cities for schooling then moved to Toronto with him. So we have lost touch with many old friends and have an ever evolving and rotating friends list. We are fine with this but it makes it hard trying to figure out not only how many people but who we want to stand with us on our special day.
    So far we have decided to have 2-3 on each side. Either 1-2 of my sisters and a best friend and for him 1 brother and 1-2 best friends
  • Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I asked seven girls to be bridesmaids, some are family and some are girls in my class at school.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every couple is different in ways we look to have bridesmaids/groomsmen to stand up with us.

We had a small wedding with just 2 each side MOHs and BM (Best Man) with colours matching. As for my cousins who got married, some had between 5 to 10 per side or none depending on how they wanted it.

• Jazz
    Beginner October 2023 Ontario
    Jazz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had to do a lot of looking into this my self , as I was unsure if I even want a wedding party , but than we decided on our siblings, but what I found was most people said the number of people if irrelevant and what matters the most is your wedding party is made up of people you find to very important to you and can't see your special day with out them there. If that 1 person or 10 , if it is balanced our uneven , it won't matter because it is everyone who you want there with you.

• Leah
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a big wedding party! I have 9 (!) people on my side and my fiancé has 3. I have told everyone that my bridal party basically chose itself. I have 2 best friends from elementary school, 4 best friends from college, my sister is my MOH and my niece is my flower girl. Plus I have my fiancé’s sister as a bridesmaid. I literally wouldn’t want it any smaller-I consider myself super lucky to have so many amazing friends! My FH has his best friend as his BM, his brother in law and another friend as his groomsmen. Most weddings I’ve been to have 3-4 bridesmaids/groomsmen and I’m seeing a lot more weddings in recent years with just one attendant on each side- it’s lovely!
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome to hear!

At the end of the day you want to people who will be happy for you!

• Darren
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Darren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For our wedding we decided to go with 10 persons so 5 each side. We didn’t have a hard time choosing our wedding party.

As a friend of mine who got married told me , choose people who you know will be genuinely happy for you & those who’ve been there for you no matter what.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have two sisters that I didnt grow up with....one I've gotten close to in the last few years and the other one I'm not. I didnt want to ask one and not the other so rather than hurt feelings I decided only one MOH. I have a few friends I'd love to have with my the day of but really the MOH is fancy for witness. I gave her free reign of her dress (I gave choices of colour) I'm not having any of the pre-wedding parties so she just has to show up to the wedding and keeping me calm lol
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiance and I felt the same way when we decided to have just one on each side. We're both not very close with our friends and since my MOH is pretty much like a sister to me it was a no brainer to have her apart of the big day. My fiance decided to have just his brother and make it easier on him

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If I was close with my cousins, I would probably have them in in the wedding party. I'm an only child but if I did have siblings, they'd be in the wedding for sure. Family is family no matter what! I'm not really close with any of my other friends as much as my MOH. She's pretty much like my sister in a sense. I couldn't imagine having this wedding without her by my side!

I think your photos will turn out amazing no matter what!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiance and I agreed that having a smaller wedding party meant that we could have more family and friends attend our big day! And now since we've had to postpone until next summer and smaller gatherings everywhere, I think we made the right decision with one person standing up for each of us

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would definitely have my brothers and sisters in my wedding if I wasn't an only child!

I was going to have one of my other girlfriends stand up for me with my MOH. Then life happened with her and her husband and we kind of drifted apart so we haven't really been in much contact so I changed my mind about having two. My MOH has been my rock through all of this planning and having to postpone until next year. I don't know what I would do without her and my fiance!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love wedding's where the bride and groom include their kids!

I'm Ukrainian and ukrainian wedding's can be pretty big. All of my cousin's wedding have had like 6-8 people on each side standing up for them. I had told my fiance when we first got engaged that we're not doing that lol I don't even have that many people I'm really close with!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One kid or both kids, it's still going to be a day to remember forever!

My fiance and I were one of the couples that had to postpone to next year :/ I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes as planned for next year! I'm dying to wear my dress!

• Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding party has changed so much. At first we said we weren't going to have a wedding party at all, but we were going to have siblings stand with us. But now I want to include my best friend, so he felt as though he couldn't leave out his close friends (but he has a group of 6!) So now I have 6 on my side and he has 7 on his. Our venue has a small space where we stand, so siblings are going to stand and then the remainder are going to sit on couches in the front row. I'm exhausted just thinking about how many times we've changed our minds on wedding party.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided right away there would only be one on each side. For me its a second wedding and he doesn't have a lot of close friends. My MOH is my best friend of 33 years and he asked his friend who introduces us to each other.
  • Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have eight bridesmaids and my FH has four groomsmen. My maid of honour is my cousin, I also have one of my sisters, another cousin, my two sister in laws and my 3 best friends. I literally couldn’t imagine getting married without any of them. My FH has his brother and 3 best friends. He does have other friends he considered asking to match my number but he just didn’t feel like they were close enough to ask. I’m very happy with our numbers! For walking down the aisle 6 of my girls will walk in 2s and my sister and MOH will walk alone. For entrances they’ll all enter in 3s! (2 girls, 1 guy) I think it’ll look great for photos too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics