Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rekramer
Expert November 2018 Ontario

Wedding Invite input

Rekramer, on May 7, 2018 at 12:20 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24
Hi all, just a quick question. Did you let your families approve your wedding invitations before getting them printed? Both our families are helping with the wedding and I will be including their names but his parents have been weird about all sorts of stuff and I wonder if letting them see them before they get printed is a good idea or if it’s just going to cause more drama.

24 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on May 29, 2018 at 15:50
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I showed both of our parents the invitation samples we got, and showed them which we preferred; however, regardless of their feedback, we are going to choose the one we like the best because it's our day! Mind you, my dad had good feedback (as he pointed out how small the font was for the date, time, and location) so feedback like that is certainly something we will take into consideration.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your parents can view the card when they visit you and show them the preview on the computer to avoid the cost of printing out for a sample. This way your approval is a go ahead.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will not be sharing the design with our families before printing. At this point, they should trust that the necessary information will be included in the invitations we are sending out.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me and my FH are paying for the wedding ourselves, so we don't have to approve them with others. With that being said, I am planning to show them to my parents and sister (they live locally) as a second pair of eyes for spelling, any potential errors or design weirdness, etc as I designed them myself.

I don't think you need their approval, but, unless you are doing the more blanket "with our parents", it might be good to touch base for name spelling/preferred name (if they go by their middle instead of first, etc).

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not getting ours approved by anyone because we're the only two paying for this wedding. Any monetary gifts our parents are giving us are post-wedding, therefore I don't consider them contributions so much as gifts.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH designed them and we put "together with their families" and we didn't have anyone approve them before hand. I dont think out families cared really.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't show my family our wedding invitations before we got them printed. Are families are helping us with our wedding as well, but I think they had other inputs they cared about more then our wedding invitations. I think it really depends on the families, if you know they would like to see before you can always show them, but you have final decision as it is your wedding Smiley smile.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our parents are helping out but we aren't putt names on the invitation. We'll just put "together with their families". My parents are divorced and remarried so it's just easier. My bridesmaid is designing the invitation for us but I probably won't get parental approval, it's not up to them so I don't see the point. Once they are ordered I'll show them but I don't need or want their input.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be! I think our parents will be disappointed if we didn't. Also I do want their input on the designs and things as I am doing them all myself! (design and print)

Making sure everyone is involved is an easy way to avoid drama... even if it does lead to more stress.

• Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just picked and designed them our selves. Once they were done and there was no going back we showed our families haha 😂 ... I know in our case, our parents would of been fine regardless with our choice but didn’t want to take any chances, we also chose not to put any parents names on the invitations.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only showed my fiance. But, if you are wondering if you should show it to your fiance's parents before hand, you probably should. It doesn't mean you have to take their suggestions, but if they don't want their names included or want them in reverse order or a different font or colour, those things are probably doable!

I would maybe just let them know beforehand the wording/design/pictures will stay but the names are open to suggestion (or whatever part you're willing to compromise on!)

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I designed my invitations and got input from my bridesmaids before sending them out. Get some input from someone you trust. If there are too many people involved it can get frustrating and create drama. If that happens just really on what you think goes well. It's your wedding
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would show the layout like the context to both sides and then choose the design on my own with my fiancé.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I showed it to my mother in law just for typos and making sure everything sounds ok. But when I showed her the design wasn't finalized yet, so it was still a little bit of a surprise.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I showed my parents before printing them just to make sure I didn't have any typos (we used Vistaprint). If it will add more drama, just do it yourselves though. Some desicions are easy enough to make just as a couple and I think this is one of them Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't ask for anyone's opinions. We picked something we liked and sent it out.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, we just went ahead and did it ourselves. But they have't been involved in the planning at all and aren't helping pay for anything.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't allow any input into anything really from either set of parents. Not that I didn't want any, but I knew what I wanted, so unless I was stuck, I didn't ask for advice. The fewer opinions the better was my motto.

If your fiance's parents have been odd about some things though, it doesn't hurt to let them see the invites beforehand, so they know what is coming and can provide their approval. That way if there is something they didn't really like, you can choose to make a change if you want before getting them printed.

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope...i did them with the help of our invitation company!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would probably let them see first. We are paying for our own wedding, but I’ll still show them, just to make sure they like them. And I’m hoping my mom and my mil will help me assemble them haha
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kinda involved them. We got a bunch of samples from Minted, then showed them, and told them which design we were going with. Our invitation's wording isn't very formal. It just says "Please join us for the wedding of...." then has the date, place, time, and rsvp info. Its very straightforward.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We bought our (blank) cards, and we showed our respective mom's they both loved them. My FMIL is a Graphic Designer so she helped us with the printing. I also showed my mom the writing way before, but she hasn't seen the printed ones yet (we did it all yesterday). So there was showing and input but mostly both of them let us do what we wanted - I think it's because they both know that since we're paying for our own wedding, we make our decisions even if we still ask them for input.

I think in your case, I think you should show it to them with the statement implied "this is what we have picked and designed and decided, we're showing you to be nice" unless you actually want their input. There might be a bit of drama but it can be appeased prior to there being ink on paper, but if you say that they have been weird about other stuff maybe if you show it to them before you print you avoid bigger drama and a possible re-print.

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes we showed all 3 set of parents, the digital copy and then we showed them a printed copy, long before mailing them out. We wanted their input/approval for wording.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent a picture to both moms before choosing and then my FMIL asked if she could make one too so I said yes and I liked hers better. Haha so we went with hers Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics