Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Terri
Beginner August 2018 British Columbia

Wedding gifts

Terri, on November 19, 2017 at 13:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Question: are wedding registry and gifts still a thing? Ive been to weddings growing up and there was always gifts. My fiancé thinks its petty and doesnt want to do that because its not traditional; however I thought it was apart of it all. (And im not saying they are expected, but thought registry incase people were wanting to)

14 Comments

Latest activity by Victoria, on December 20, 2017 at 14:44
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They are definitely still a thing. Every shower and wedding I've been to has had a registry. If you don't register, youll probably still get gifts and cash from every guest. Id almost say they are expected to be honest.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did mometary gifts since we didn't need anything for the home.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a registry for my shower, but we registered for honeymoon excursions. We didn't do a registry for the wedding - most people gave money. I think people are at a point now that if there is no registry it is accepted that a cash gift is appropriate.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a registry for people who wanted to buy a physical gift but I would say that most people still gave us money.

• Kalene
    Frequent user June 2021 Ontario
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re allowing gifts but we’re not making a registry.
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally depends on each couple. If a couple is moving in together after the wedding then a registry is typically created. For couples that are already living together that might not need stuff for the house/condo may not do a registry and just request money.
    There is no right and wrong way Smiley smile
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did do a registry but only for the bridal shower, none for the wedding, must guests give gift cards or cash now a days anyway.

• Alexa
    Frequent user December 2017 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't do a registry. I wanted to, so that it would be simple if anyone did want an easy gift idea. But FH thought the concept was presumptuous and kind of rude (he hasn't been to enough weddings to know that it's not!) I am wishing we did one. As the date approaches, more and more guests are getting a hold of me to ask for the registry info and I feel bad saying we don't have one. Like "Sorry, pressures on you to pick something we love or figure out the appropriate amount of money to gift" 🙈 - that's how I would feel as a guest anyways lol. Buut at the same time I'm hoping we will get thoughtful gifts or just cash. Anyways sorry for the rant, I hope that gave you some things to consider!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We registered because the majority of our guests are older and they prefer to give gifts than give money or put money onto our honeymoon fund. We only picked out a few items though as we have pretty much everything we need or would prefer to buy our own things when we move into a home.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are registering! We don't expect people to buy them but that way people have an idea. We already live together so it definitely helps to give them idea. You don't have to put everything on there, you can put just a couple items to give them an idea.
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, for sure. Making a registry doesn't mean you expect those gifts, it just gives people a guideline if they choose to buy a gift. It also ensures that you won't get ten toasters!
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a destination wedding, so we actually stated that people attending was enough of a gift so no gifts needed, but we still ended up with gifts (i.e. money) from most everyone who attended.

• Terri
    Beginner August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was my understanding too. I was wanting to register to make it easier on people. And by no means is it expected, but id be okay if we got nothing, but just thought registry was a way to make it simple if people wanted to buy gifts.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are registering for gifts. Traditionally, more people got married younger and would move from their parents house into their own place with their new spouse, so they would need a lot of essentials. Nowadays, with people living on their own or together before getting married, most couples have those essentials. I think money/gift cards has become more common for that reason. Gifts shouldn't be expected, but most people will give something. I think it's okay to register but not expect everything to be bought.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics