Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lindsay
Curious June 2019 Ontario

Wedding Favours

Lindsay, on March 20, 2018 at 13:28 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28

Do you think wedding favours are a must? From what I have heard from most of my friends that have got married already are that most people forget about them and do no bring them home.

Have any of you found this to be true?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on March 24, 2018 at 22:48
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I understand I'm just saying there's no way you'd get invited if that's how you felt lol 😃
  • C
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Cathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will determine my choice of words
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sacrifice is not a great choice of words. If a guest to a wedding considers it a "sacrifice of their time" do they really deserve to have the opportunity to be invited to the wedding..I know they would get cut if they voiced that to me. However for those, such as my self, still kind of iffy on to do favours or not the idea of a few dollars per guest isn't a bad idea.
  • Laura
    Curious September 2018 Quebec
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly think it is a complete waste of money. We are already spending a ton of money on the WEDDING itself why are we buying a thank you gift? You will send thank you cards after your wedding. But besides my own personal feelings toward this, my mom said I have to do wedding favors people expect them. Which actually aggravates me even more. I made sure that my wedding favor would be money worth spending and something people will actually like, use, and appreciate. We are doing mini bottles of wine! Each bottle was 4 dollars and we are giving the gift PER FAMILY not PER PERSON. You can also do jars of honey or jam...candles are nice too! But skip out on the useless gifts if you are giving out favors.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not doing them. I’m not paying $300 for people to forget them or have something sit in the cupboard. And as for the food option, there’s going to be plenty. I’m paying $52/ head for each of them to come. And my family is coming from England so myself and my parents will be spending a lot of money going out and doing things with them. I don’t want to waste $300 on something little just for the sake of it when I can put that money to something better for everyone.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They are not a must at all. I did them for my wedding because I think they are a nice thing to have and I pretty easily came up with an idea I liked, but you can certainly skip them and most guests probably won't notice

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's a nice gesture esp if your handing them out. You can always remind them to take it home.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its a nice gesture and I will do it. I went to 4 weddings last year and I gave a large gift. They didn't have the wedding favors and never sent a thank you. If you are doing at least a thank you, then I don't think big deal if you skip out. How do your parents feel about it?

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with most people that it is not a must but a very nice gesture for the guests to receive a little token of thanks. We didn't do anything crazy for ours. We have a spice rub that we have given to people before and we just made that and put it into some small jars and gave those away.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Such a great site!! I got monogrammed blankets for my girls and my husband got monogrammed sit and sip coolers for the guys from this site.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much! Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's a nice gesture. I think it depends on what the favours are. Food ones have always been taken! Or something else that can be used. We are doing potted plants, and they are also the centrepieces so we aren't spending extra money. My friend had golf balls, which suited them as a couple, but most people wouldn't use them for golf (and those that golfed wouldn't use them because they weren't the best brand!) Another friend had a lego block with both of their initials. Again, really cute, but not practical.

I also find guests take them home when they are at their own table or seat rather than on a table by the door. With both the golf balls and lego, almost everyone took them home because they were right by their plate. I was at a wedding where the favour was a mug--very usable--but they were at a table off to the side so people forgot to grab one.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Weddingfavours.ca they have a whole bunch of practical and customizable favours for great prices Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    May I ask where you’re getting your candles from?
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's a must but we are doing them. We are getting little candles in custom tins that are <$2 per person and will be simple enough that if people forget them then we just have candles that I can use when I have a hot bath or something and it's not expensive Smiley smile
  • C
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Cathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A type of Thank-You is always the way to go - this displays gratitude, appreciatation and thoughtfulfulness. ( Try not to get something that people will just throw away, $4-6 per person seems reasonable). Sometimes people forget that the guests do sacrifice time & money to attend our nuptials so any extra "treat" for them at the wedding is encouraged.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not a must and I witnessed ppl forgetting them when I went to couple weddings myself.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I found them on this site:

https://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/

They have a bunch of different ideas, like Seed Packs, notepads and bookmarks! I picked the bookmarks with a heart on them Smiley smile (the heart is the removeable bit that you can plant)

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Courtney, may I ask where did you get them from? Sounds great!
  • Brianne
    Beginner June 2019 British Columbia
    Brianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re making chocolate chip cookies! I bought paper bags off AliExpress and we’re going to print “midnight snack” on them and put two cookies in each.
    I’ve heard that if you do favours, food is the way to go.
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We made home made strawberry jam as favors.

Not a single person left one behind and they were a huge hit!

• Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing favours. Guests are being given a free meal and access to an open bar (as well as live music and hors d’oeuvres during cocktail hour so I think that’s enough. We’re using the money we would have spent and donating it to a local charity we love instead.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Favours are not a must, IMO. I've had to travel for the past couple of weddings and had to leave the favours on the table because we couldn't travel with them. I felt bad for the couples, because it feels like waste of money and time (if you have to assemble).

Instead, we've decided to offer our guests a 'drink on us' with 1 drink ticket right after the ceremony. We're both looking forward to cheering with our guests for the first time as Mr. & Mrs.!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s good etiquette to have favours for guests who have taken the time to celebrate my special day, therefore I’m going to have them. You are right that a sometimes they might get left behind, so that’s why we’re most-likely doing something edible (people won’t mind taking multiples if there’s leftovers then).
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having a winter wedding, so we are making personal hot chocolate mixes for each guest. I think getting trinkets or novelty items will run a higher risk of being left behind, or taken home and collecting dust/ending up in the garbage. Having something usable/edible is more interactive, and might have a better response.

I've heard of some people having a candy bar or something as well, where people make their own 'goody bags', and that is the favour. (Of course, then you run the risk of waste and leftovers, versus having something pre-portioned).

Wedding Favours 1

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing them (just ordered them yesterday actually). We originally didn't want to as we thought it was a waste, but it was a piece of etiquette that was important to our parents.

We've decided on something small, inexpensive and if people leave them behind, I can use them! (They are bookmarks with seed paper attached to them that you can plant and grow wildflowers)

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing favours, but I decided on a practical item that has been customized. I'm getting cork coasters done with a logo I created for our wedding on it, along with our names and the date. They're only going to be about a dollar each.

That being said, by no means are you OBLIGATED to have favours. You're already paying for all your guests to eat and enjoy themselves!

To be honest, most of the favours I have from weddings I've attended sit on a shelf for a while (if I even remember to take them) until I throw them away...

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've decided against favours. For that reasons and they are very costly. Ours guests obviously know we appreciate them being there otherwise we wouldn't have invited them so they don't need an item to prove it. If you still want to give them a little something then make it edible that way you can guarantee that majority will take it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics