Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gina
Super April 2019 Alberta

Wedding Dress Shopping!

Gina, on May 1, 2018 at 08:18 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 48
Good Morning Everyone,
I’m just wondering how far in advance everyone ordered their wedding dress? I really want to lose a bit of weight (I know that’s common) before I try anything on.
Thank you!

48 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on May 2, 2018 at 18:31
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree!! That's always my question to myself... why when I know that I feel so good healthy, do I let myself feel like garbage? Ugh! No more! On the healthy train now!

I would say, even a 5-10 lb weight loss, just to put you in the positive mindset, would be plenty before trying dresses... however, you have several months, so I'd just stick to what you're doing and by the time dress shopping comes, you'll already feel great!!

Good luck!!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hate the word diet too! Just a life style change. When I get on routine, I sleep better, I look better, I feel better. I don’t know why I fell off the wagon in the first place! But I’m back on now and already losing weight! Ideally I would like to lose 40lbs, but at least 20 before dress shopping! I was wondering how many sizes a dress can be taken in, thanks! Here is to us getting healthy!!! We can do it!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in this dilemma HARD CORE right now... I've been engaged 4 months, and I booked my bridal appointments 2 months in advance for May 12, so that I could start my weight loss before hand... Yeah by the appointment I might be down 10 lbs, but I'm aiming for 50 over the course of the year... I made the mistake of feeling like I had so much time, and then time snuck up on me.

So my advice is, don't procrastinate starting a healthy regime right now, food & exercise (I hate the diet word, just try making a healthy meal plan that's maintainable), so that over the course of several months you can slowly lose some weight... and then I'd suggest going shopping about 10-12 months out, so sometime this September/October.

Remember dresses can usually be taken in 4-6 sizes, so you don't have to worry about ordering a 10 and ending up a 6 or 8!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m glad I’m not the only one! Smiley xd
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went shopping last August and ended up buying a dress (it’s been hanging in my basement for almost a year). I’m not getting it tailored till October, and my wedding is in November.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm 5"4" and I feel you on the ball gown! I also felt like I would rip open a trumpet dress with my bum!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a fear of needing to suck in my belly the whole time with a trumpet, or sitting down and the bum ripping open haha. I’m only 5’2” so I think a ball gown would swallow me. And I would knock everything over haha
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! it's also my cousin's birthday the day before too so lots to celebrate that weekend!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't want anything too puffy either but my dress was perfect! I did try on a ball gown or too, but I felt like I needed a meter radius blocking me from anything/one! The beauty of the a-line is that it's comfortable and it doesn't drown you in a dress pouf lol!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I looked and you’re getting Married on my Birthday!!!!! Haha Smiley laugh
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love that you got yours so early! I think FH would love a trumpet style but i might go with an a-line as well! You look amazing in your dress! And it looks so comfortable! FH just doesn’t want anything really puffy. Lol. Although I found a couple I love.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Gina!

I got mine last weekend ordered, which would be a year and a half out still (I'm one to jump the gun lol). The shop said it would be in around August this year and I still have a year+ to lose weight/get alterations done.

That being said, I feel like you could wait until September this year to start looking, especially if you know what style you want. I never consulted with my FH about what type of dress he'd like but I am also a big bum girl and I feel like he would like a mermaid/trumpet dress to show off that bum... but I went and got an A-line that hides it and my tummy instead lol. However, It will accent my back and give the chest a little "ooph!" Anyway, he'll probably love the dress anyways Smiley winking

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They told me my dress would be in in 5 months... it took 6 1/2. So even the store is wrong sometimes. I definitely wouldn’t wait anything past 9 months. Cause you still need about 2 months for alterations. So that’s a 7 month window for your dress to come in.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree. It would be pretty devastating to find the dress only to find out you can’t get it in time!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Some places will tell you that a dress only takes a few months to come in and others will say 6-8 months. I would tend to lean toward the higher end just so you don't end up in a time crunch.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered mine last week which was 13 months before the wedding. It won't be here until August or September so I have time to lose weight and then get it taken in Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered mine in January and it’s gonna be in, in August.
  • Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered mine a year in advance, and it took about 3-4 months to come in
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much!
  • H
    Curious August 2018 Quebec
    Hanh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Let us know how it goes and come here if you need motivation! Smiley smile
  • H
    Hanh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All the employees was nice but there was a lot of pressure for me to order the dress as there was not a lot of time left. At one place I was required to paid a 10% rush fee. But as state all the employees was amazing and I had a wonderful experience ! Smiley smile
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha!!! It’s so true!!! I keep asking myself why I didn’t lose the weight and keep it off in the first place lol
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No the shopping was fun. The employees and shoppers were all super nice and friendly. Was fun not stressful.
  • H
    Hanh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can do it!! Smiley smile it is crazy how powerful having our wedding help to keep us on track and give us the motivation to lose weight !!! Smiley smile we were actually hooking about having a wedding every year so we keep the motivation to do it !! Smiley xd
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s great to hear that so many people got their dresses fast! The more time I have to lose weight, the better! I’m on my healthy eating plan that I used to drop 25lbs a couple years ago. So hopefully within the next few months I will be there!
  • H
    Hanh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know right?!?! Can't believe it myself !! Hopefully it will be as I picture it !!!! Smiley ups

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In order my dress end of February got it mid March! From David's bridal, I was shocked it came so early!
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I got it at David's Bridal. I was told May-June, so I was shocked when it came in so early. Pleasantly surprised! Smiley smile

• Tanisha
    Newbie September 2018 Alberta
    Tanisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is Sept 1st and I purchased my dress Feb 7th. They said itll be in sometime in June!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol so typical! He did say to get whatever made me happy but I also like fitted dresses on myself
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow!!! That’s amazing they can do it that fast!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha!!!!! My FH is the same! He wants one to show off my butt lol. Men... haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics