Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kalene
Frequent user June 2021 Ontario

Wedding dress issue

Kalene, on January 8, 2018 at 14:50 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 16

Okay, so i have encountered a small problem with my dress. once i get my dress, and the jacket done up im not able to lift my arms up. we have tried the jacket on a few times since i got it last year, it seemed fine, however i put it on yesterday and if the jacket is sewn onto my dress im not able to lift my arms. im christian and our wedding is in our church so its a must that my chest and shoulders be covered.. i have no idea what to do. i have contacted the bridal salon i got my dress from so still waiting to hear back. any of you other ladies have any ideas??

16 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on January 9, 2018 at 15:16
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah I didn't understand (I actually had to Google an image lol). I think you could find yourself a really nice cover up. Would something like this work?
    sheer+chiffon+bolero+cape+wedding+gown+c
    Wedding dress issue 1
    I also found this image on Pinterest of some capes but you could also do a cardigan
    52d8b2479f75d8f111fb1a645b68f489--cover-

• Kalene
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s a button back jacket so it can only be worn one way and if I wear it the way your talking about it leaves my entire chest open. I’d be okay with it strapless if I wasn’t in the church. But I do completely understand what your saying Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok I see. Well does it cover everything but not affect your dress when you just wear it like a jacket?

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would try to reach the salon again, if possible go in person and explain the situation, i find when you go in person its harder for them to be snippy with you. I think if you are willing to do some alterations it can be fixed by letting the seems out and attaching a spacer. hopefully you get it resolved, it's hard enough to plan a wedding without adding this stress.

• Kalene
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have to wear it the whole time as the entire wedding is in our church
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is just wearing it like a jacket over your dress an option? You can wear it in church and cover up the necessary things and then take it off for photos and the reception.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sure there is a way to fix it so that you can lift your arms. When you take your dress in for alterations they should have an idea of what to do.

• A
    Alberta
    Annette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not seeing the dress it's hard to say but, did you think of trying to use the jacket as "Fabric" and actually add it to the dress at the shoulders. What I am envisioning is the bottom of the jacket cut off exactly where it needs to join to the dress.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yeah that's true, that would be very annoying.
  • Kalene
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes other wise it lifts up and I’ll just be pulling it down all night.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Does the jacket have to be sawn on to the dress?
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm.. maybe she can make you a shawl or something so that you're covered. I'm sure the bridal store has more options for you that you can purchase right from there instead of waiting. Or there are many great options for purchasing online if it comes down to it.

• Kalene
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I get married june 2nd, i havent made an appointment yet to go see the girl doing them. and going strapless isnt an option. other then to sew the jacket into the dress, which will look weird as the back of my dress is a corset

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't panic. When are you having alterations done to it? I get married June 9th, which is 5 months away, and I haven't started my alterations yet. I go for a consultation in February. Whomever is doing the alterations can definitely make the jacket fit you. No need to fret

• Kalene
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I havent had any alterations done to it yet, so they are both still separate. however i have 4 1/2 months till my wedding which isnt enough time to even try and order a new jacket. i have no idea what other options i have and i have no time to even order a new dress if i had too and not many designers make modest dresses, so even buying one off the rack isnt possible. hoping to hear back soon though.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your best bet is just to wait and hear back from who ever sewed the jacket and dress together, they will know what to do and how to fix it. I really hope you get this fixed!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics