Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Frequent user July 2021 Ontario

Wedding Decorations renting vs DIY

Stephanie, on April 29, 2019 at 12:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Just wondering if anyone has done the comparison between renting and making their own decorations.

I have seen some things that interest me, but I know I can make it for a lot less than the rental cost.

Example - large mason jar vases with lace and twine wrapped around then, $5.00 each to rent when I can buy a case of 12 of the jars for $15.00.

Is it more cost effective to make your own, or make as much of your own as possible?

The rental fees I have been quoted are not from a decorator and do not include set up. I would have to pick them up and return them.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 29, 2019 at 22:29
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I go back and forth with this. What the deciding factor for me is at the end will i be able to use/ sell 15 tablecloths? Will it cost more to assemble than to rent? Whatever is in my favour is the winner!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's usually more or the same to rent. If you aren't super tight with your decoration budget then a lot of the time it comes down to time and convenience. I wanted to do so many more DIY projects for my wedding but I didn't have the time to allot for them.

The thing about DIY is you can also keep an eye out for sales if you are planning ahead and try to get the lowest price as possible but renting costs are pretty standard or you have to travel far to a different company.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Renting the backdrop and centerpieces/floral balls/money box were the best choices and keeping the cost low vs. DIY projects or purchases.

I compared pricing as your doing and found it less to pick and drop off the rentals rather than storing them at home and trying to resell over time.

I did find a company that would have cost me lots more to come out and set up and not break down, giving to pay $75 for coming out to do the breakdown service. Eventually she was cancelled and good thing that I did take that action before I did regret having to pay the rest of the amount.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Renting is so costly, but so convenient.

We’re renting chairs and our backdrop - we’re leaving for our honeymoon the day after so it’s good to know I don’t need to worry about storing everything or trying to sell it after.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We rented our backdrop from our venue. But looking back, I probably would just use the arch if I could do it again. The arch was only in use for the ceremony, but was very easy to move, so we could’ve just moved it behind the head table after the ceremony.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was just about to say how convenient renting is. You don’t have to stress and just pick it up and go. But you are also paying more money for the convenience
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I will start buying/collecting now Smiley smile

Thanx everyone

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would like a backdrop for the head table as well Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It honestly depended on items- there was somethings I bought and some made. There was also others I rented- Majority of my wedding is all bought prior. I am just nervous about trying to get rid of it all after!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do think some things are more cost effective to make! Especially what you’re talking about. And they aren’t that time-consuming either. I didn’t rent a lot- I rented charger plates for the centrepieces, an arch for the ceremony and the backdrop for the head table at the reception. The arch and backdrop would’ve been more expensive to try to make!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Renting is for sure more expensive but also convenient... It's up to you. I know that most of what I do will be DIY or buying used and selling after the wedding though to save money.

I won some free stuff at the wonderful wedding show in WPG but ended up not taking anything based off of their $200 damage fee in case I damage or lose anything! I get why they have it but I could make all that stuff for less!!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not renting anything.. Anything I have decided I need to have I will try and make myself and purchase for as low as I can find. Some rental fees are ridiculous for things.. Even for my shower I can rent linens for the tables... it is so much cheaper to just go and buy some cheap table cloths.. I haven't done comparison on everything, but I find renting is just too costly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics