Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Super September 2018 Alberta

Wedding Day Timeline

Michelle, on December 8, 2017 at 18:28 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

Hi all I want to see how your days went with the overall schedule as my fiance and I can't seem to agree on an appropriate time to have things done.

Ceremony: 3pm (originally 1:30pm but too early so I changed that)

Cocktail hour: 5:30pm

Tea Ceremony: 6:45pm (this is something that is normally done at the bride's house before the ceremony but since it's a multicultural wedding we are doing it just before dinner. Takes about 15-20 min I think)

Dinner: 7:00-7:10pm (start time)

Dancing: 9:00pm

Last Call: 1AM

Speeches will occur during the reception, thinking in between meals/courses being served.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on December 17, 2017 at 00:53
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your day timing sounds good and well thought out given time for pictures inbetween the traditions. I had done the same to get family pics beforehand and after the wedding with groups to cut the time. You are on a role, keep it up!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It sounds sooo good! I have been to only one wedding of a Chinese-Canadian couple, but if they did have a tea ceremony I definitely wasn’t invited. Good luck!
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I don't particularly enjoy being the center attention haha :p so the shorter the better lol

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that will definitely help for timing for photos. Our ceremony is going to be longer so I wasn't sure how long yours was and just wanted to double check to make sure you had time for photos 😊
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is quite true Smiley smile thank you for your help this helps make my day easier Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah it's a chinese custom that is done at the bride's house before the ceremony (groom and bride see each other before ceremony) and we serve to our elders as a sign of respect. It's almost saying thank you for raising us and look how we have come, please have this cup of tea as a thank you and it's a sign of the elders giving their blessing towards the marriage. Which is normally done for parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles. But we are cutting ours extremely short by just doing parents and grandparents (makes the ceremony 5 min instead of 45 min- 1hr).

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya! We decided to do pics before the ceremony for a number of reasons:
    1) we will do a first look so itll still be a special moment and our photographer will be there.
    2) it gives is more time in the day to work with and have a more relaxed schedule
    3) its an extra 3 hours my FH and i can spend together the day of Smiley smile
    4) hair and makeup will still look fresh because we wont have been sweating all day before pics
    5) i wont be tired hungry and grumpy for pictures which i would imagine i would be if we did pics between ceremony and dinner
    6) no awkward gap for our guests to kill time between ceremony and reception.
    7) earlier dinner
    8) we will be able to mingle with guests during cocktail hour BEFORE dinner so we can sit down and enjoy our dinner and not worry about making the rounds.

Its a little less traditional and not very common to do pics before but i think itll just make for a much more relaxed and more enjoyable day!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, that’s a well organized plan! Sounds quite reasonable and also although I have never heard of a tea ceremony, it looks very interesting!
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Estimating about 2.5 hrs for pics, about a 15-20 min ceremony. Will be taking pics right after ceremony and we will most likely miss cocktail hr which is no big deal for us.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Estimating about a 15-20 min ceremony so pictures after that and during cocktail hr so we most likely will miss cocktail hr. But that's ok not a big deal for us. Estimating about 2.5 hrs for pics, bridal party and family included

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So pictures before the ceremony....never thought of that. Wonder how the hubby would feel about that Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So not too bad then.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been told by a few people that pictures take longer than they expected. Not sure where you are planning on fitting them into your schedule.

Not sure what you are planning for cocktail hour, but with a later dinner I would suggest something like appetizers so people don't get too hungry before dinner.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Seems reasonable! Just remember to allow time for photos. We are getting married at 2 and then dinner isn't until 6:30. Cocktails will be at 5:30 though.
    *our ceremony will most likely be 40 minutes to an hour long and we are leaving time to have a receiving line outside the church
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here is what we are planning:

8:00 hair&makeup
    12:00 wedding party photos
    3:00 ceremony
    3:30 family photos
    4:00 cocktail hour &snacks
    5:30 dinner
    6:00 desert and speeches
    7:00 first dance and then party time!
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our day went like this...
    8am - hair and makeup
    1pm - photographer - getting ready photos
    3pm- ceremony (20 min)
    photos - family, bridal party, bride/groom
    Cocktail hour during this time for guests
    5:30pm - dinner
    after dinner, when dessert was served we started speeches.
    Then we went and mingled and said hello to our all guests
    first dance - we did these a little too late. but it all worked out!
    And then the party started!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics