Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nicole
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Vendors?

Nicole, on July 31, 2018 at 16:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28

I don't even know if this is a silly question or not. I am so oblivious when it comes to weddings. I have never even been to a wedding! So, my question is.. when it comes to vendors (dj, photographer, etc...) Are they counted as guests? Do we purchase them a plate for the reception? Do they go in a seating plan? Do they get a "break" ??

Thanks so much for any help... don't laugh lol.

28 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on August 27, 2018 at 17:13
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a table set up for our vendors. The only ones that will be getting plates are the ones working through dinner so the photographers, videographers and DJ.

They will normally get a break during the courses when no one is making speeches or anything. Our photographers said that they will take breaks throughout dinner by rotating who is taking photos so they already have it all planned out.

• Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you for asking! I wasn't sure either !

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is totally a fair question.

Yeah generally it will be in the vendor's contract so they will ask for it. We are paying for both our photographer's plates and only 1 of our DJ's is requesting a meal. I am also sitting the DJ close to the booth to eat and the photographer's asked to be seated near the back on the outside so they can come and go and they also have a lot of equipment.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not a silly question as the others have stated Smiley smile We didn't think about this until a few weeks ago. We are giving our photographers, DJ & Coordinator a plate as they will be there the whole day. We also gave them their own table together, included in the reception area.

Personally, we thought it was important to treat the vendors you are feeding as a guest (for dinner), not just to get them to eat in the hallway or something. The photographer will likely need space and a table for their equipment while they eat.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are purchasing dinners for the vendors that are staying throughout the dinner - for us it's 1 DJ, and 3 photographers. Since we are having an open bar, our venue also has a different price for our vendors as they won't be drinking alcohol.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No one is laughing, it is a fair question! The only vendors we have to pay for is one photographer, (we will have 2 photographers, but one leaves when dinner starts and the other stays until the end) and our DJ. Our DJ will eat at his booth, but I had to work our photographer into our seating plan. We do not have a wedding planner, and our day of coordinator is provided by our venue. It all depends on what vendors will be around for dinner. I offered for our officiant to join us, but she respectfully declined.

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are purchasing plates for our vendors, such as the photographers, DJ/MC, wedding planner, etc., since many of them are going to be working all day to ensure things go as planned. Also, we are giving them a table in the reception area. My photographer suggested this, and she stated she once worked a wedding where the couple sat all vendors in another room. It led to timeline problems so she advised against it.

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh awesome!! Thanks!
  • Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great. Thank you!
  • Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank goodness I am not the only one lol!
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a table set up for all of my vendors in the back and purchased all of them a plate, it was also part of my photographers contract and she ate while we did.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on the vendor! Typically photographers and DJ are to be included in your count for dinner but not the workers at the venue or a decorator! Basically anyone you have hired to be at your day deserves a meal!
  • Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for asking the question - I didn't think of this!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some vendors, as Vinod said, are required a meal because they will be at your wedding for an extended period of time. This will include your DJ and event coordinator/planner. Otherwise I feel it's common courtesy to get a plate for vendors such as your decorator and photographer too. Typically their plate (if you have a plated, seated dinner package) will cost less as you won't be paying for alcohol.

Seating-wise, my fiancé and I plan to have our vendors sit together. I think it might be a good networking opportunity for them too as a few of our vendors know each other, so the ones that don't might familiarize themselves with them for future events.

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good advice! Thanks!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You tend to put the vendors are their own table if there is enough of them. dj's usually eat in their booth. and if all you have after that is a photographer. I would work them into a table where they can easily get up for photos. and with people that will socialize (but most vendors will socialize with the guests as they are so used to it)

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great thanks!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Vendors are required meals while their working time.

I had to arrange meals (only main courses) for them and nothing else. I had a time set between the reception and cocktail hour for them to eat. They were not part of the guest list.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they are there for the dinner, provide them with dinner! My photographers actually had it in their contract that they would be given dinner or a 45-minute break to go out and get food. I had asked if they wanted to sit at a table and put them on the seating chart at one of the tables right in front of the head table.

I did include them as guests since they were eating a meal: the venue had to know how many people. (They even signed our guestbook, which was really cool!)

The other "vendors" were friends so we fed them too!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There was an interesting post about this in the Facebook Bridechilla group.

Vendors had had been seater at a table that was stuffed into a utility closet and we’re fed as after thoughts.

The poster reminded couples to ensure that they vendors are fed at a time that works for them and the service that they provide, and to allow them more decency than being stuffed into a closet.

We haven’t booked a caterer as yet but good to know that there may be a “vendor” meal price point.
  • Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Makes sense!! Thanks!
  • Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol thank goodness I'm not the only one!!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have no idea where I'm putting my vendors! I'd assume they'd get a table to themselves? That's what I've seen the one time I noticed where the vendors were sitting at a wedding lol.

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my, I never even thought of this! Not a silly question at all!! Now I'm confused ahaha

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome!! Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

• Madge
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Madge ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your questions isn’t silly at all!

DJ, MC, photographer, videographer, coordinator (if not supplied by venue) are to be given vendor meals. Your venue will have a different price for them. It’s usually the same meal as guests without alcohol.
    For seating you can ask what they usually do at weddings. My DJ said he will be eating at his booth. My photographer and videographer said they will eat in the cocktail area (I have tables there too) which is just the next room from the reception unless I wanted them to be seated with other guests.
    Each of them asked for a timeline so they can figure out their breaks but said they will probably have two or three 15 min breaks total as I have them all for 12 hours.

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great! Thanks for that info Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The rule of thumb tends to be - if they are expected to be there during the meal - then one should be provided. So for instance I would not be setting a meal up for the officiant but I would for the DJ and photographer.

As for where they would sit I would love to know if they need a spot I'm not quite sure but would love some direction on that matter so by no means are these silly questions!... at least not to me

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics