Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marcia
Super August 2018 Manitoba

Ushers for ceremony

Marcia, on May 25, 2018 at 12:08 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Is it necessary to have a couple of ushers on your wedding day? My family is insisting we have at least two ushers, one to hand out programs and one to help seat the guest. Is anyone else having/had ushers? Do they have to match the wedding party (attire wise)?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on June 1, 2018 at 12:56
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was an usher at my FSIL wedding....I didn't really feel like I was needed to take on that role. I just really helped the elderly to their seats which I would have done even without the role. So it's up to you, I don't think we will be doing the ushers on our part and there will be no programs to hand out.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have programs or ushers. We didn't really see the point.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The guests seated themselves without any ushers needed out there. The only thing the wedding party handed out the programs before the start of the entrance.
  • Michelle
    Newbie September 2022 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my cousin got married last year the guests just sat themselves so it's not absolutely necessary.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am personally having one of my cousins be an usher as she was a bit too old to be a flower girl, but her sister will be a flower girl so I wanted her to have a job too!!
    But I agree if you don't want someone specific the groomsmen can easily help with that as people are getting seated and then can sneak back up to the front with the groom!
    I'm sure you could even get other family members to do it! Grandparents would be a cute idea too!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you’re good with having your groomsmen be your ushers unless there are family members who want to help.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have ushers, our groomsmen will be doing that duty!

it's best practice for the groom and groomsmen to be at the wedding space before guests arrive in order to greet them.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be doing the same thing as what Jessica has said she did. Although I'm not sure how many guests you will have or how many she did - I plan on having 250. The only thing that will be made sure of for seating other than having a sign is to have some seating reserved for the closer family members. As for the matching; I would assume that if they look like they know what they are doing and are the ones holding the programs that it will be pretty obvious so you shouldn't have to worry about them matching.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm considering having my two brothers as ushers. But I'm unsure because I don't know what they would even do, we aren't having programs and we will have a sign asking guest to pick their seat as there are no sides. I want to include them but the ushers title is kind of pointless without the main duties.
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not having ushers at out ceremony, it's a small enough guest list that I hope people can figure out where to sit. We are asking one of the groomsmen to kind of be there to make sure everyone is seated on time before the procession.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't specify anyone as ushers the day of the wedding. I had a small sign at the entrance that said, "Choose a seat, not a side. We are all family!". As far as I know it all worked out, and no one had any issues with figuring out where to sit. I didn't have programs either so there was no need for it. You can always place it on a small table as well or at each seat so they have.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I normally see it being groomsmen doing the usher job. but if it doesn't work timeline for groomsmen (depending on photos etc). you can ask two family members to help (no they don't have to match at all).

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are just using our groomsmen as ushers. I’ve seen this done quite a few times and liked it. They can seat everyone and then still get to the front on time. I’ve seen them walk up the moms or stepmoms and then just stay at the front.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics