Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mary
Newbie August 2019 Nova Scotia

Unconventional drinks idea

Mary, on January 25, 2018 at 21:53 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Hey everyone! I’m looking for some input. My Fiancée and I are on a very strict budget, because I’m in school, and we came up with the idea of having a bit of a BYOB for the reception. We want to provide champagne for the tables during dinner and then everything else is byob. Is this being too cheap?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on February 1, 2018 at 20:29
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your venue allows it, great! Actually, I would love to know I'm bringing my own favourite, inexpensive bottle of wine to drink, rather than a cash bar or even a toonie bar. People will know exactly what they are getting, and you save mega $$$ ... maybe just budget for ice, juice and pop for mixes? Buy in bulk at Costco or Walmart, so it won't be very much, but people don't have to worry about bringing their own Diet Cola... haha.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as your venue allows it, do it! That's a quirky idea.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually love this idea! My fiance's parents are paying for the booze so we don't have to worry about that but if we had to pay I'd probably do this.. but overall it comes down to the venue, ours is privately owned so we would be able to do this however public venues may not due to their liquor license codes and such. Talk it over with the venue for sure!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most venues may not allow byob since they have liquor license and stock their bars. Thr open bar timings are always different place to place.

Some venues do allow you to bring your own alcohol to serve.

My venue at the time of the event didn't allow byob or alcohol brought in. We had to pay for the booze we wanted to have purchased by the venue.

Your not being cheap, just thinking alternatives. Talk to your venue and see idlf they can work something out.
  • Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are on a budget as well. Having the ceremony and reception at the same location. with a buffet dinner wine with the meal and 4 hours of open bar my location is only priced at 99 / person. we are having a small intimiate wedding 50 people at most. so it works great. alot of places wont let you byob..so we really shopped around.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a nice idea! Something I've never really heard of.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your reception location will let you i think its a great idea! As a guest id rather byob than have to pay at a cash bar.
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unreal. That's actually so smart. I wish we could stock our bar, but the venue has control over that.
  • A
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly if I were you I would try to just negotiate the hall venue down and keep the open bar and you don't have to go for the premium bar go for the standard. Tell them you budget and let them work with it. Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on the venue of your reception. Most places won't let you bring your own booze. If you're doing everything on family property, that's one thing, but if you are at a restaurant or reception hall they will have their own rules.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends where you're having the reception. If it's someone's house, that's fine, but anywhere else you'll need a liquor licence or permit. You will have to see what it says, but it's my understanding it's to control the amount of alcohol being served.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A friend of my FH had a stag and doe where instead of buying a ticket everyone brought a case or bottle of alcohol and then the bride and groom used all those drinks for the reception, maybe something like this?
  • Karen
    Newbie April 2018 British Columbia
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't want to ask guests to bring their own beverages but you know you're friends and family best! You can still have a full cash bar, that way they're paying for it but at least you've provided it for them. Remember, anything that doesn't get open can be returned. Congrats!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics