Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alissa
Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia

Too young for bridal party?

Alissa, on April 18, 2018 at 17:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28
I currently have 2 family members expecting babies. We are getting married in 2020, so they will both be 2 years old by then. I planned on asking them to be in the bridal party but I'm worried that I might be expecting too much out of such young kids. I dont have kids of my own so I have no idea at what age they'd be able to process that they have to hold hands and walk down an aisle towards their parents. I dont want to sound like a grouch but I'm worried that I'm just creating more noise and headache for myself behind the scenes just to include the whole family. Should I bother?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on April 24, 2018 at 08:25
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the kids. I went to a wedding where the bride wanted the niece and nephew of the groom to be the ring bearer and flower girl but the kids were so shy that they wouldn't do it. It is a cute idea but it may have to be decided closer to the wedding once you know their personalities and such

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem.
    im having my almost 6 yr old nephew as our ring bearer & my 2 yr old niece as our flower girl..my hope is for them to walk together
  • M
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you just hearing that makes me feel better ❤️
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't believe there's an age limit. i think that if they're important to you and you want to give them the role, gonfor it!
  • M
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have the opposite problem my flower girl i think will be too old by the time we get married she will be 10... i'm not sure if theirs a cut off limit but she is an important person in both our lives and we want to keep her included. I just figure its probably best that shes older as she can assist my nephew the ring bearer down the aisle as he will only be 2... i hope people dont think this is super strange...

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm in a similar boat and I think the key is that you have to be okay that it will not go as planned. We have our two older nephews (and by older, I mean 2 and 2 1/2 at time of wedding) as ring bearers and I fully expect one of them at least to go running off in a different direction. Our flower girl is also going to be 2 so we're just embracing the chaos that will come along with the cuteness. Love the idea of a teddy bear instead of flowers though!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

2 years old is pretty small to expect them to walk down the aisle without any incident. Also, their parents might want to leave them at home so they can have a date night at your wedding (my cousins with kids have already told me they're leaving them at home for my wedding next summer lol).

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At that age they generally have a mind of their own and, in some cases, quite the attitude. I would hold off on including them just now to see what they are like closer to the time.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It honestly depends on the child! My nephew is 2 and is so independent, he has no problem walking down the aisle without his parents. My oldest nephew though, would have not been able to handle it!

I think you should wait. They can be a last minute addition. A few months before the wedding, you will know for sure if they are able to do it or not.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Invite them to be inclusive. It’s up to them to decide if they want to come or find babysitting. Just don’t pressure them.

• T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have control issues and kids are too unpredictable so I’m not having any children in my bridal party lol
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! Love it
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know right? My mum saw it in a magazine and loved it. And it’s a) cheaper than flowers and b) something she got to keep
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my gosh that sounds cute a teddy bear is a good idea!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mum had my cousin as a flower girl when she was two, but instead of flowers, my mum gave her a teddy bear instead, there’s some cuuuuute pictures
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My daughter was 2 for my sisters wedding. I told her not to do it, but she was insisting... my mom had to carry her down the isle because she refused to walk. Haha. I’m sure some 2 year olds would be ok, but they really have a mind of their own.. lol
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Then I see no issues. Kids that ages do it all the time, yes they often don't always make it down the aisle or it takes some time but that's kids and you can expect much more lol
  • Alissa
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes sorry that what I meant, I included flower girl and ring bearer under the bridal party umbrella haha. Just to dress up and walk down the aisle and a couple photos. And will probably be sent home before the reception
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For bridal party then yes I'd say too young. For such a young age they won't fully understand and definitely will not stand still for pictures, ceremony etc. They would be best fitted for flower girls or ring bearers. That's a more age appropriate job for 2 year olds.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have our two friends little girls as our flower girls. One is 2, the other is 3. We don't expect them to be perfect. We just wanted to include them in the day since their moms are super good friends of ours.

We're thinking they can walk hand in hand or the bridesmaids will walk with one each or the moms will walk with them or have the moms slightly hidden at the end of the aisle and coax them with cookies hahaha lots of options.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're okay with things potentially not going as perfectly as planned, I'd say go for it! You could always ask their mothers to walk hand-in-hand with them down the aisle.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem! Smiley smile
  • Alissa
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I'm not too anal about them being perfect anyhow! Haha okay thanks I feel better
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahahaha yes! You’ll probably find that out at the rehearsal if not sooner lol but I think it’ll be fine. People usually laugh at stuff like that since they’re just kids and it makes for a funny story to tease him about later in life
  • Alissa
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's true! If he can behave himself haha
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don’t necessarily need a flower girl you could have just boys but that’s up to you! Your nephew would be a great helper to walk with the younger ones
  • Alissa
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes my nephew will be 5. I already know that one of them is a boy. If there's no girl will it be weird having 3 boys walk together
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is there another child you know that is a little older that could walk down with them too?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics