Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

To postpone a second time... ?

Sarah, on March 24, 2021 at 09:45

Posted in Plan a wedding 38

Hi everyone looking for some advice. We are debating whether or not to postpone our wedding a second time. Current Date is July 10 of this year. My fiancé doesn’t want it to be mask-y and we won’t get refunded if we have to cut down the guestlist so he wants to postpone. The future is so...
Hi everyone looking for some advice. We are debating whether or not to postpone our wedding a second time. Current Date is July 10 of this year. My fiancé doesn’t want it to be mask-y and we won’t get refunded if we have to cut down the guestlist so he wants to postpone. The future is so uncertain!!.
If we do postpone the reception, we will be eloping this May/June in the meantime. So we are getting married this year regardless.

Our guestlist is between 90-100 which would likely be allowed outdoors (it is now so I’m assuming July will be safe for that). But our venue is charging extra costs for moving reception outdoors which I haven’t heard back about yet.
Is it worth moving through with the wedding and having it still be covid-y this July orrrr should we push back again and just elope ?Im def leaning toward elopement as I think that would even make the big wedding feel more laid back too but I don’t want to regret it? I guess the grass is always greener no matter what we do

38 Comments

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your husband doesn't want masks then definitely postpone. I personally don't think there's even the slightest chance masks won't be mandatory for indoor weddings for a while still and definitely not by July. Even if it's outdoors and masks aren't mandatory I'm willing to bet a lot of your guests will wear them anyway - I would likely do that because I wouldn't be totally comfortable around that many people without one at that point in time.

But I also think of all the restrictions masks are the least intrusive and I'd be more concerned about people not being able to mingle or dance.

• K
    Newbie September 2022 Saskatchewan
    Katya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I were to be married this July 17 and were of the mind that we would be married no matter what (local elopement) and would postpone the party. Though there were pros to that (including a more laid-back party day), we just made the decision to postpone the whole event until 2022 or even 2023. We have close intl. family and friends who wouldn't make it, and we are not a fan of no-dancing and all the masking. We want our celebration to be just that, a dang good roudy party!

I'm just beginning to contact my vendors about rebooking, so I can't really help on that front, but I can say, don't settle. I spent so many hours trying to convince myself I was okay with a 5-30 person ceremony and pared-down reception, and that everyone else loved their intimate weddings. It didn't work. I knew I'd be disappointed if we went that route even though it really is just about marrying my best friend and I really don't want to wait to do that. But, we also have our son already and don't plan to have more children so we aren't waiting for the next step.

Keep your chin up, but don't settle for anything less than what you envision! Smiley heart

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha! Yeah I feel a lot of people (not everyone) are overlooking that detail along with the fact there can or will be many restrictions including no dancing! It’s a tough decision for sure. That’s reassuring to know people had amazing things to say about their intimate ceremonies. We are definitely leaning toward that route. Good luck with whatever you decide Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally hear you. We already have two kids so we’re not in a rush I’m a sense we’re waiting for the next chapter or anything. Luckily our venue has lots of dates for next year as well. Thanks for sharing Smiley smile
  • Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I thought I was the only one who postponed a wedding due to not wanting it to be "masky" so I feel so vindicated to read someone else has thought the same thing lol. I'm sorry you have to make this decision as well, its so hard. For me, there was no reason to get it done right away. We wanted it to be perfect with as little restriction as possible so decided to wait. We've considered eloping in the meantime as well though, I've heard amazing things from people who have gone ahead with really intimate ceremonies.
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married July 10 as well. I know exactly how you feel and I have been struggling too. We have decided that we are going to go ahead with whatever we can. I think it’s up to you. Everyone has their opinion. I personally don’t want to get married or elope and then celebrate with everyone a year later.. I know I’ll just be over it by then. I also am hoping to start a family and if I am fortunate enough to get pregnant in the coming year, there is a chance I could be pregnant next year for the event. I also know that the summer dates for next year are already booking up and so I’m just going to take the day for what it is and be grateful for being safe and healthy and starting the next chapter of my life with the love of my life.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics