Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julia
Curious August 2020 Ontario

To get married or not to get married during covid

Julia, on September 15, 2020 at 10:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 35
Hi all!

I married the love of my life a month ago today and it was the best decision regardless of all the hurdles we had to get through.
To get married or not to get married during covid 1
I’m curious to know from fellow 2020 brides if you postponed or if you didn’t let covid ruin your big day and went through with it with a few tweaks.

35 Comments

Latest activity by Mais, on October 5, 2020 at 22:02
  • Mais
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Mais ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you💜
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am so sorry your dad wasn’t there in person but he was definitely there in spirit and it’ll be so special when you’re able to celebrate with him in person. As long as there are no regrets and you are married to the love of your life that is all that matters!! Congratulations on your big daySmiley smile
  • Mais
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Mais ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got married on September 12! Outdoor 50 count guest wedding it was beautiful! We were gonna get married no matter what this year because who knows what will happen next year, my dad lives overseas and 2 weeks before our wedding I made the toughest decision of my life by asking him not to come, wasn’t going to risk his life for one day of celebration when I will recreate all those moments when I see him. They declared an outbreak where he lives. He was with us virtually though! Every single second and I got his blessing. So I don’t regret getting married this year what so ever. Best decision and most magical day! I hope you all get what you want brides!!💜
  • Heather
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is nice to be married now. I am glad you also just went for it. Who knows with covid when we will be able to celebrate.

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww I’m so sorry to hear your husbands side wasn’t there to celebrate but on the plus side you’re married and you get to have another celebration with his family hopefully next year!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so glad to hear you guys went ahead and decided to do it this year!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh I know, the waiting is so hard! Keeping fingers crossed by April you’ll be able to have your big daySmiley smile
  • Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning for April 20201, right now I'm getting a little anxious about it cuz our cases are steadily increasing & we're projected to get worse closer to the end of the year into next year. No matter what we're getting married that day, be it the full thing or just going to a court house. I know it really doesn't matter, I'm just getting worried.
  • Geraldine
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Girl!

We got married this past Saturday and it went by so fast! We were originally June 20th, postponed our celebration to next June 6th 2021 but decided last minute to get married on Sept 19th 2020, and so happy we made this decision. Feels like weight has been lifted off my chest!

• Heather
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My now husband and I had to make some MAJOR tweaks as we were suppose to get married in Arizona. But we did not let Covid get in the way, and we made the most out of what we could. Sadly non of my husbands family were able to attend our wedding as they live in Arizona.

I am glad you did not let covid get in the way of your happiness.

• Marsha
    Devoted July 2022 Ontario
    Marsha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am sorry as well to hear you had postpone it twice. Aug 2021 is a great month. we are getting married Aug 1 2021. So am praying for you too

• Alexandra
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello, and congratulations! My husband and I decided to keep our original date of Sept. 6, 2020. We went from a guest list of 115 at a downtown location to 28 people in his parents backyard. We've been married 15 days and don't regret a thing! We had 45 join us on zoom, and did our first dance in a cul de sac with all our guests and neighbors watching. We're officially covid safe (15 days and no ody who attended is sick!). So it can be done. We just kept reading news stories about weddings being a breeding ground for covid, but thats not true. We followed guidelines, provided masks for our guests if they wished to wear them, kept it to 3 social bubbles, we asked people to screen themselves before attending, and had hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE, and everyone was safe.

We were originally planning on doing a big reception in June at the original venue, and we may. But if it gets cancelled because things still haven't cleared up, I don't think either of us will be upset!
  • Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    CONGRATULATIONS! 💕💕

we got married a week ago and changed EVERYTHING about our wedding. We went from 300 people with a church and ballroom to under 50 in our backyard. We regret nothing. We had a great excuse to weed out all the extended family, were more comfortable to say our own vows in front of a smaller group (had the whole place in tears!) , and had extra budget with the lower guest count to make our space completely unrecognizable. There were a few good friends we really missed having there but they completely understood and watched the stream online. I dont think I could have even imagined our plan A to have been that perfect. There has been some anxiety this week waiting to confirm no one has gotten sick, but we took every possible precaution, and constantly reminded people to make smart choices for themselves.If you have the space, case numbers are low enough in your area, and you are ok with some people not coming for safety reasons, I highly recommend the COVID wedding.🥰
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds beautiful, location is key and it’s a bonus it’s your hometown, makes it that much more special
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am so sorry to hear that you have postponed twice now but I have faith next year will be so much better!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear you, the date of our wedding meant a lot to us as well.

The not knowing part is what’s scary, especially joe that things are getting a bit worse
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so amazing to hear!! It turned out to be a blessingSmiley smile
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our wedding end of July, and it was THE best thing we could've ever done. We had the small, intimate church wedding I always wanted, and a beautiful, casual backyard lunch with family. We had our cake, pictures and all. It was amazing and I wouldn't change a thing. So glad we didn't postpone!

• Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have now postponed twice (June 20, then October 30) It has been super stressful, but unfortunately, our moms are both immunocompromised, and most of the guests we would invite to a smaller wedding did not feel comfortable attending. Myself and my wedding party are in healthcare. So- it just didn’t seem to
    Work out all around. We have moved it to August 6, 2021. Crossing our fingers that this is the last time.
    🤞🏻🤞🏻💕
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly why we kinda of picked Kelowna. Not only is it my home town, but the place just has so much to see and do. So many wineries and beaches. My fiance has never been to Kelowna so I wanted it to be that much more special! And I'm sure our guests will love the time away!

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah our date is the anniversary of our first date and so we wanted to keep it. We've even debated eloping earlier but then I keep changing my mind because I like the original date and would be sad to move it.

It's definitely a blessing in disguise! I absolutely loved our original venue and I'm so choked that we can't use it but I'm also really happy that I don't need to deal with this stress of not knowing for an entire extra year. I have a few friends that postponed their weddings entirely to 2021 and I am not confident they'll be able to have the weddings they want next year and so they'll probably end up having a smaller wedding anyway.

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The best thing is to just roll with the punches and whatever is meant to be will beSmiley smile

I hear you, it’s more than just the celebration of your marriage, it’s a whole package. You and your guests will definitely want to explore and enjoy every minute of it!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, it's definitely not what we wanted since we've been engaged for 2 and a half years already and have had this date set since we engaged but sometimes you just have to go with the flow of things that are out of your control.

That's exactly what we were thinking as well. Since all of our guests are traveling for our wedding including ourselves, we knew it was the best decision. Plus we were going to be making a vacation out of wedding, since we were going there for 3 weeks to Kelowna. Who wants to go on vacation and not be able to go and do things?!

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes me so happy! My husband and i agreed as well no matter what our date would remain the same since it meant a lot to us and had meaning behind the date.

It may be a god sent that you don’t have to rush in booking a new date without knowing and just holding off till things get better!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Couldn’t agree more! At the end of the day the unity is what is most important. You get best of both worlds!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!

Our wedding is in about 2 weeks. We've changed almost everything and have pushed our reception to next year. The whole time I was focused on getting married, no matter what that looked like.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to get married no matter how it looks on our original date in November this year. Our current plan is to have a small ceremony with immediate family only and have our full reception at some point in the future. We may decide to just elope at home without family if things keep progressing as they are now.

It turns out this was a good call because when we asked our venue if we could postpone our reception to 2021 we were told the venue was being demolished shortly after our original date and wouldn't exist next year.

Since there is no guarantee things will be better by next year, we're not booking anything for our reception and we'll hold it once we know for sure that restrictions will be lifted.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!
    Beautiful picture and not letting covid stop you on your path of your plans.
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much😍 It was my dream dress!

I’m sorry you had to postpone! But May will be here before you know it and will be amazing none the less. A girlfriend of mine is suppose to get married next April in Mexico and it’s still a waiting game. Fingers crossed!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so exciting!! It’s going to be the best day ever, I personally loved the new plan for our wedding. It made it so much more romantic and personal.

Enjoy every minute of it!!
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much!!

I am sorry you had to postpone but I do have faith next year will be a lot better. I would of done the same thing if i were in your position, you want to be as safe as possible not only for you but mainly for your guests. We had guests who were suppose to come from Italy and the states but unfortunately that was a no-go. We had 85 guests who were all from town.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics