Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dani
Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia

Tipping Question

Dani, on January 12, 2018 at 12:32 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

My wedding is an all inclusive pkg that includes catering, venue, dj, photography, decore, cake, etc. Should we be tipping even though its all included in one fee?

Also, I am bringing in a mobile stylist for hair and make up for myself, my bridal party and the two moms. Payment is due ahead of the day, should I still be tipping?

Everything is just so expensive haha its hard to figure out the tipping part

14 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 19, 2018 at 11:12
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The vendors can be givena token of appreciation. Tips don't have to be given of you choose not to do so.

I gave the vendors a thank you card with a message in it. They were greatful to receive something.
  • Kait
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Kait ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue has about half the gratuity included, and he explained that he believes his staff and venue should work for the other bit of the tip, it should be earned, so the other half of it is up to us on what we feel should be given.

I thought that was pretty cool, and very much appreciated that it was our decision. As long as all goes well, I’ll be happy to tip the standard amount or a little bit more Smiley smile
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's a tricky one. I think it all depends on what's in your contract. If they have a gratuity fee already in place, check to make sure that it get split between all of them. If there is nothing included then tip individual. And yes always tip hair and makeup! Pretty much anyone that will be there the day of, and providing you with a long service the day of too.
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check that a gratuity isn’t already included - every venue I talked to had an auto 18% gratuity.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's up to you in the end. I think if the venue/vendors did an amazing job and went above and beyond your expectations an extra tip would be a nice gesture Smiley smile but it depends on your budget of course.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We also have an all inclusive venue and our gratuity is added automatically for both the bar and the food. I agree with everyone that said either check with the venue or your total bill if you already have a copy (ours came with our contract).

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Even though everything is paid for as one giant fee there are still the individuals providing the different services so it would be very generous to tip them individually
  • Dani
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It does for each service that is included (which is everything but the stuff we bring in and the wedding commissioner) as everything is always on site but there is no mention of tip or gratuity. Its crazy though how much everything costs for weddings. I think part of it is my mind is just reeling at the costs already.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I get so awkward about it too!! Hard to have that conversation.

Did your contract not have a breakdown?

• Dani
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'll have to contact them because there is no mention of it. Money and tipping just makes me so awkward haha

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely check your contracts!

Our catering has a gratuity fee already on the quote.

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's really up to you.

Our venue included an "ultimate upgrade" package where we used the preferred vendors with discounts for DJ, Photography, Floral, Decor, and Cake.

We tipped the DJ and his assistant, the photographer, and hair/make up and her assistant. We also gave tips to the bartender a few times throughout the night when we went up for drinks (open bar).

I had my Dad give the hair/make up their tip day of. And the Best Man gave the DJ and the photographer their tip day of. I had them prepared in envelopes.

If you google that question there are many different answers, so we just did what we wanted to. We didn't use a percentage as a tip, just came up with an amount.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've heard for tipping, it's proper to tip staff but not the owner.

I also find it difficult to tip beforehand, so I think you can pay in full, and tip in cash after.

As for the venue, I would recommend checking, as all the inclusive venues I looked at stated the price and stated plus GST and 17-18% gratuity.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Make up and Hair - its sort of expected to Tip. Typically when I go to a salon to get my hair done, I always provide the stylist with a tip so I definitely will for the mobile hair and make up team.

As for your one big package.. I would ask your coordinator. I met with our venue yesterday and did ask if Tip and Gratuity were included with the package from them.. which it was.

Always a safe bet to ask.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics