Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daily
Expert August 2022 Ontario

Thursday wedding?

Daily, on March 11, 2021 at 23:27 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 35
What do you guys think about a Thursday wedding? So my venue let me postpone my wedding to August 5th 2022. I’m having a mixed feelings after reading online posts about having a Thursday wedding. My coworkers and mother in law told me, people who wants to be there, they will be there. Thoughts?

35 Comments

Latest activity by Jesicaltariq, on April 19, 2021 at 06:05
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thank you Alysia. Good luck and congrats 😍
  • A
    Newbie November 2022 British Columbia
    Alysia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a weekday wedding in November 2021. We chose it mainly because of price, and availability of dates and the package we wanted. Whoever wants to be there, will be there. We are sending out a "Save the Date" far in advance, because it is a weekday. We are planning a small and intimate wedding, and have a secondary list of invitees, should any of our close family and friends we have chosen to invite, are not able to attend.

• Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. Good luck. Covid suck!! Can’t wait for things to get better. Congrats!
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I agree. I think that people that want to be there will be there. I postpone mine twice and ended up eloping on a Tuesday at noon!
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Devrie. I’ll keep that in mind. Oh that’s reasonable since you guys work on the weekends.
  • D
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Devrie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thursday is a great idea. We decided to hold ours on a Thursday, both he original time and the postponed date. Anyone who wants to be there will be there.

For us we decided to do a weekday because we work weekends, so it's easier for us to get weekdays off. But make sure to specify that is is a Thursday on invites, because it is not something people are use to.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg!! That is hilarious!. He should’ve walked the dog!😂😂
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My uncle also attempted to crash and got the date wrong. We were married on a beach so my mom joked that if he just happened to walk the dog around 5 he'd see us. So I guess 2 people technically got the date wrong 😉
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Amelia. I’ll make sure to include Thursday next to the date so people are aware it’s a weekday wedding. Aww not bad only one missed your wedding.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Anyone who wants to be there will make it happen. You can definitely expect the party to wrap up a little earlier and a bit less booze to be consumed, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great party!

I would definitely make sure the date has "Thursday" written next to it so people absolutely know it's a weekday wedding. We had a Friday wedding and one friend missed the livestream because he forgot it was on a Friday and not a Saturday.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Emma. Appreciate your respond. Yes there is a big difference in price. You are right people who wanna me there will be there. Good luck on your wedding.
  • Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a weekday wedding. The majority of our guests are retired or don't work Monday to Friday, and the price difference for our venue made it very worth it. The people who matter will make it work.
  • Clinton Lynch
    Curious December 2020 British Columbia
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Couldn't agree more.

• Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww thank you April. Really appreciate hearing from you. At first I was worried too and my mother in law and coworkers said people who cares about you will be there. My mother at first was against the idea of having a Thursday wedding but now she’s ok.
  • April
    Newbie August 2021 Ontario
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just booked our wedding ceremony on a Wednesday and reception on a Thursday night. Honestly, we have given people enough warning and everyone is pumped and taking the Friday off. Everyone is dying to socialize - trust me. The people that are so excited for you to get married will be there in full force (at least that’s what my friends and family have guaranteed me of haha).

There are no rules anymore after this pandemic. Every weekend is full at almost every venue. Don’t wait until things get better to reserve a weekend. Just get married and enjoy the uniqueness of a Thursday night.
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it works as long as your ok with not having like a high energy dance or a lot of people. Out of town guests will have to take 3 days off work and that’s something your closest friends and family would probably be willing to do. But I personally wouldn’t take time off for a friend to do that unless we were super close/related.

But a lot of people will probably show up after the ceremony and stay for dinner and then head home shortly after that if they work on the friday
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Yea I’m hoping next year will be better because this is my 2nd postponing the wedding.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes and no, we figured one would definitely cancel but the other two were a surprise. Everyone cancelled because of covid fears though so we couldn’t blame anyone and understood why they waited until closer to, especially since there was talk that cases were starting to return
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think it’s not bad. Close to the date, ahh.! Did you kind of had a feeling they’ll cancelled on you?
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I’m okay with ending my wedding by 10 or 11. May I ask how many of your guests were there? Any last minute cancellation?
  • Geneviève
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We got married the week before the second wave broke out in Ontario and we only invited 30 guests with 3 cancellations (most close to the date).
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I’m ok with everyone gone by 10 or 11. That’s true ever since covid, people would be happy to get out and celebrate. If you don’t mind, how many people showed up on your wedding? And do they cancel last minute?
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dance most definitely I want for the wedding and drink too. But not to an extent when they’ll have a hangover the next day. I’m already legally married but would still want a 30 mins ceremony before the reception. I’m okay with ending the night by 10 or 11.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you and that’s another thing. I think weekday weddings are much cheaper compare to weekend. Originally I wanted a Saturday but pretty much August Saturdays are booked. If I were to pick another month on a Saturday wedding, I’ll need a minimum of 100 people.
  • Brianne
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Brianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a Thursday wedding is okay! I agree that those who love you will be there 100% for you. Everyone who's postponed a wedding has been through so much and I think many people would understand. You do run the risk of having less people there, but that actually might not be the worst lol.

We want to have our wedding on the anniversary of our marriage, and with all the postponements it's likely that our wedding will be on a Monday 🤦‍♀️ not ideal but I'm willing to make it work. Good luck with your wedding, I'm sure it will be beautiful 💜
  • Geneviève
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a Sunday wedding and it was a nice quiet affair: ceremony, dinner and everyone was gone by 10. It wasn’t a wild party by any means but that was what we wanted. You’ll probably have a similar vibe if you have a Thursday wedding since not everyone will be able to take the Friday off. If that’s ok with you, then do it! With covid being how it is, people will be happy for a reason to get out and celebrate.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're hoping to have a typical weekend wedding with lots of drinking and dancing into the night though I think you should try to find a new night. I think you also risk some people not attending because they have to work or can't travel in the middle of the week, etc. I personally wouldn't want to take both Thursday and Friday off to attend a wedding and would probably show up late/leave early (assuming start time wasn't after work hours with enough time to get ready and get to venue). If it was in another city I definitely wouldn't go unless it was an immediate family member.

But if you're okay with an early and tame night and some people not coming I don't see a huge issue. I do think you should have your ceremony well after work hours regardless, otherwise some people definitely won't show up for that if that's important to you.

• Abigail
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your friends and family will make it work if they wanna be there!! We were originally gonna do Thursdays because a lot of the venues we looked at had cheaper rates for weekdays compared to fridays/weekends so we always were gonna do a weekday wedding
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds about right. My venue agreed to postpone the date so it will be next year. My aunt and cousins are coming from Thailand so they’ll stay with my parents or us. My husband side of the family is from up state New York so that’s a 3.5 hours drive. They plan on doing like a three days mini trip. The rest of my guests are from Ottawa so I think it’ll work. Oh yea 11pm is fine to me.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You as well Smiley heart

• Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so true! Good luck on your wedding.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think as long as you curb expectations accordingly, it'll be fine. You likely won't have a big crowd if you try to run a typical Saturday wedding on a Thursday (I'd have to be really close to and really like you to take off two days of work to attend your wedding) but if you pivot and adjust to the circumstance, you can still have a memorable event that works for you and your guests. For example, while it's hard to do a bumpin dance party that ends at 2am typical of a Saturday wedding, you can still have a very nice dinner party with speeches, the first dance, and other entertainment etc that ends at 11pm on a Thursday evening. If you're hosting in the city and most of your guests are from the area, you'll have a better chance of people attending. If your ceremony starts at 7pm or later, it's a higher chance more people will witness that if that's something that matters to you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics