Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal!

Joey, on August 10, 2017 at 14:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 41

How did you propose? How were you proposed to? Was it a surprise, or did you talk about it first? Tell us all about your proposal, and even better, share a pic if you have one!

Share your proposal story!Share your proposal story!

This photo is part of the fab article, 5 Ways to Personalize Your Proposal

41 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on July 12, 2019 at 18:55
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive been teasing him for years about proposing so around march I turned to him and said "wanna elope in November?" To which he replied "sure". I was aww struck thinking he was just messing with me but a few weeks later we went out together and bought a ring. He took the ring when we got home and said "guess i need to get on my knee eh?". Short, sweet and simple Smiley smile also VERY us!! I want to get a sign for our engagment photos saying "I nagged, he asked, I said yes!" Lol
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is almost exactly the same as my proposal story!

On top of the same mountain after going up the Jasper Skytram on May 8th 2018! Incredible!

That hike up the mountain is so worth is when you get a ring at the top!

• Kyla
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your ring is stunning!

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello well Daniel & I went on a cruise to the Caribbean since he's never been on one. On July 6th, 2015. A front of Customer Service being the front of the Ship he got on his knees and asked me to be his will you be my Partner in Crime. I don't know what to say... people looking at us Of Course yes I said
  • Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance proposed on May 31st 2018 - after being together for 5 years. We were on a road trip out west to Vancouver Island with another couple friend of ours, when on top of Mount Whistlers in Jasper National Park, he got down on one knee!

I wouldn't say that I was expecting it, but I was sure hoping for it! We had talked about marriage and how the perfect time for a wedding was in the near future, and we had already lived together for a year. I was just so surprised that he pulled off a surprise that big without me figuring it out!

On the summit of Mount WhistlersTell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 1

• Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    March 26th 2017. We’ve been together since july 26th 2016...so kind of quick, but hey we were already living together Smiley winking

We went to our favorite restaurant and BAM...I whipped out the ring...it was upside down, but he still said yes Smiley winking

We’re getting married on September 22nd 2018 Smiley smile

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 2
  • Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He proposed to me on a Saturday afternoon, after I’d been at work since 6am and looked like I crawled out of a swamp hahah
    He did it on our back deck and hold me how much he loved me, couldn’t imagine his life without me and that he couldn’t wait another minute to ask me to marry him 💕
    He proposed July 14th 2018 💍

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 3

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 4
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me and my FH met February 24th 2017, became exclusive March 5th 2017, proclaimed Love for one another on June 17th 2017, spoke of marriage in October during our trip to Edmonton, and I proposed to him on December 30th 2017 at the Red River Exhibition park during the Winter Lights Show Drive Through tunnel of love. We stopped to take a picture with the hearts as our background but because it was -30 outside I grabbed ahold of him and told him to wait a second. I started telling him how much I am in love with him and why he means so much to me but before I could get through 1/4 of what I had wanted to say I was already in tears! I pulled out two bracelets that I had bought - the one for me said "His one" and his said "Her only". We kissed, we teared up, and we went on to have supper and a movie Smiley xd

Tunnel of Love

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 5

A few months later after our trip to Paris, Prague, and Amsterdam - we came home to finally have my custom ring ready!

Engagement RingTell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 6

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'd just bought a house in August (of 2016). We'd talked about marriage, but agreed that we'd wait since we decided a house was what we wanted more.

Come September/October, he started teasing me about buying a ring and asking what i like. So of course i figured it would be happening soon.

November comes around and we get word that we won passes for the meet and greet with Florida Georgia Line. So of course i'm over the moon excited about that!

Concert night comes around on Nov 19th. We go for dinner and then head to the venue. Wait in line for the meet and greet and get pictures.

Concert starts, i get a couple drinks in me and sing my little heart out.

Then they move from the main stage to a smaller stage lit with string lights-its right in front of our row!

They start to play their song H.O.L.Y (love it), and i look beside me and he pulls out a ring from this pocket and asks me to marry him. I had a good cry haha. And he couldn't kneel down because there wasn't enough room so he was left standing.

But it was a great night. Found out later that he'd told them in an email that he wanted to propose when trying to get the meet and greet tickets. Unfortunately the group was so big, he didn't get a chance to propose during the meet like he'd planned. Still, the whole night was perfect.

• Brandy
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Brandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've been together 4 years and 8 months. I've been hoping for an engagement ring for quite some time lol.
    It was sort of a surprise and sort of not. He's not a good liar and was being quite secretive for a couple weeks.
    He proposed Easter Sunday (04.01) before we went out to Easter breakfast with his family. I just got out of the shower and he said that the Easter Bunny left a treat on my pillow. It's a giant plastic egg with chocolates and a really sweet hand written note ❤ as I'm reading and crying he's standing there with the ring box open and asks me to marry him. I was so happy!!! I'm so excited to be on this journey with him! Love you Jarebear
  • Janine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine was and wasn't a surprise. Since we had already booked a venue; we picked out the ring together; and I was there when he picked it up to ensure it was sized right, I already knew we were getting married. The actual get down on one knee and ask me to marry you proposal was almost a month later and was a total surprise that left me shocked and with a great story to tell the kids.Smiley ring

• April
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oooooh. Most beautiful spot ive ever been, caught way more fish than he did, the wAter sparkled like angels taking pictures, two eagles flew overhead, and he -as i suggested- did it without a ring. (I sort of think engagement rings are pointless). The message was the important part!

• Sharon
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 7

He proposed in January 2017. He was going to wait until the summer, but I had a 6 month overseas work assignment that came up kind of randomly, so he moved it up. We decided to have a spontaneous long weekend trip to Chicago and he popped the question while we were in the ferris wheel at the pier.

Total surprise to me and he did a really good job hiding all of his scheming. He had told all of our friends and asked my parents for permission beforehand so I was practically the last one to know.

• Sarah
    Curious October 2024 Saskatchewan
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I laugh (we laugh) at our proposal story.

I knew it was coming because he took me ring shopping 3 weeks before. He wanted to pick out the ring but have me there for approval and try on. He told me that I can give him all the ideas in the world of what I think I would like but knew that a ring always looks different once its on. So he picked a couple out and I fell in love, immediately with his first pick.

This is my second wedding and his first so we are not a traditional couple when it comes to the order of things. With that said, asking for my dads permission and getting my parents blessing to marry me, is extremely important to me. A few days after the ring came back from being sized, he had shown it to my dad during some one on one guy time and asked for his blessing.

The rest of the proposal came as a surprise. Even though I knew it was coming (sooner than later) I did not know about his plans. He has since then found out that he can not surprise me because I may not show up.. (for my own engagement)

The day it happened, I remember seeing his lunch bag on the counter and I thought nothing about it aside from, maybe he was ordering in, at work or eating at the RCMP mess hall (hes a member). I was on days off and was on the school run duty so when I received a text asking if myself and my son ate lunch, I thought nothing of it (again not connecting the dots) and carried on with dropping him off at school. The next text I got from him was "are you heading home after you drop him off at school?" I replied with "Of course."

You see- most girls love to shop, and sometimes we must tell a little white lie when we are shopping. So there you have it- my future husbands plans were to surprise me at home by taking the day off of work and being at our house on one knee when I was supposed to have returned home from dropping our son off.

I of course went shopping instead of returning home where he was waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting! I eventually returned home where I found my favorite flowers on the table and he was no where to be found. He got tired of waiting to surprise me upon my arrival and stepped out to run some errands. After seeing the flowers I immediately knew that I messed up big time.

We met up for lunch and shared a good laugh. He proposed to me later on in the evening with our son and dog present.

I love our story because it could not explain our relationship any better! We will be laughing together till the end of time.. I will also have a winners addiction until the end of time

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our proposal was planned and was in front of my parents. We first met on September 2016. I live in Vancouver and he was here on his projects for half a year contract. After we met, he decided to stay. Our relationship progressed very fast. He told me in February 2017 that he wanted to visit my parents in Indonesia and to ask for my hand in marriage. We arranged the trip in May 2017 and I was officially engaged at paradise island of Bali. We have been moving in together since. We are planning on moving permanently back to his hometown, Gatineau, Quebec,

We got matching Bali Om Swastiatu tattooTell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 8

early next year and will have our wedding on August 2019.

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The Ring Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 9

It was a month after our 5th anniversary together , he had said my gift hadn't come in , so id have to wait. Well it came in , mid October, and to throw me off ... he gave me a kettle ! Which i totally laugh about now, not so funny at the time. The day after he did that , we went for a hike in Lions Head , some of my family is from there so I have always loved going up there , since i was kid. It also a plus that the trails are absolutely beautiful. He set me up to take a panoramic picture of Georgian Bay from the cliff , and he was going to do something silly at the end. Something we always do. Once i was done taking the picture i called him back telling him it was done.... which is when he yelled my name ... because i hadn't noticed .. while taking a picture that he was down on one knee on the peak .. i had taken a picture of my proposal and didn't even know it ! we used the picture as a clever way to show our family. We would show them the picture and tell them to find him. It was definitely the best day of my life. I was definitely surprised even though i had a feeling it was coming at some point, as we had talked about it so much before hand.

If you zoom in and do the right you can see his hat pop out... if i had stood where he told me, i probably would have noticed right away Smiley tongue

My Proposal Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 10

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was 3 years ago, our first Christmas with our first daughter, it was a total surprise to me ❤💍 he waited until my family had left and then he sat me down and pulled out the ring, it wasn't elaborate but it was simple and perfect 😊
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dave and I had been together for 4 years and in the last year had been saving up to go to England for two weeks. We had been in London for a week and although we were having an amazing time, I wanted to go to Glasgow for a few days because my family is Scottish.

In Scotland at Balloch Castle overlooking Loch Lomond, near the home of my ancestors, sitting on a dedicated bench with my last name on it, the man who stole my heart asked for my hand as well. We were completely alone at a castle with no one else in sight, I couldn't imagine anything more incredibly romantic and idyllic - the fairytale moment was perfect and it was ours.

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 11

• Megan
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The proposal was a surprise, I thought he was going to in the summer but it didn’t happen. We hadn’t talked about marriage just spending our lives together. In the beginning of September he took me to work in the morning and before we left he told me to see what was outside. I figured it was the neighbor’s cat being weird but when I walked outside he had made me a maypole and it was on the front lawn. I love everything German, munich is my favourite city and the last time I had visited I heard about a tradition of the guy proposing with a maypole and when the girl sees it she dances around it to accept the proposal.

I had told him the story so when I saw my maypole I knew it was happening. It had all my favourite things on it and he was on one knee with the most gorgeous ring.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He planned a trip for us to Lake Placid NY for Dec 14, 2017. Proposed to me on the 15th at the top of the US Luge Mountain. Over looking the mountains. It was very special as some of our friends were also there when he asked me.

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 12
  • S
    Newbie December 2019 Ontario
    Sauwmi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

- Ah I loved reading everyone's proposals, so romantic Smiley heart

If you want to read our check out the blog post on "How He Asked"

Our story Smiley smile

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were down in Miami a few days before going on Royal Caribbean Western Caribbean 7 day Cruise. We went with some of our friends on this trip so a bunch of us were walking down Miami Beach when he proposed. He asked our friend if he could take our picture by some palm trees. After getting a few shots, my FH said he wanted to take one more picture and gets down on one knee! I turn to him and he asked me to marry him and I screamed yes!

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 13

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had just gotten back from a massage and were sitting in his living room on our ipads. He gets up and comes back into the room saying he didn't want to wait anymore. Gets down on one knee and has this little speech prepared and then asks the big question.

He later said he had wanted to do it differently and have my friends there, but he wasn't able to find a time that worked.

We had been talking about marriage for over a year when he proposed. We already had our venue booked and I was just waiting for the proposal to continue with the wedding planning.

• Jessica
    Newbie June 2019 Manitoba
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance proposed on October 14, 2017! It was all filmed and his nephew put together a wonderful video! Check it out!

The Proposal

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were at his moms house watching tv when his sister asked us if she could show us something in the garage. We got to the back door and she said she needed to blindfold us cuz it was a surprise, i thought it was weird but he was blindfolded too so i didn't think he was in on it. So she walked me to the garage and when i got inside she told me to stand in one place. Then asked me to remove my blindfold, and i saw the whole garage decorated with curtains, lights and every picture we have taken together was hanging on strings all over the walls. There was a bottle of champagne with candles and music playing and he was kneeling in front of me.

So magical and thoughtful! Smiley heart Smiley ring

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can post here now! My fiancé proposed this morning! I've been so sick lately (sinus infection, chest cold, the whole deal) so I've been feeling not so great. After we had breakfast with the kids, he took me up to the bedroom, said some very beautiful things about his commitment to me from the first day we met and asked me to marry him. I of course said yes.

It was low key, just like we are. I didn't really want anything grand or over the top (that's not us) so it was the perfect proposal for us. Smiley smile

He proposed with a rose gold 6.5mm cushion morganite. 😍 He knew I loved rose gold, amethyst (my birthstone) and morganites and didn't want a diamond. So he got this. It is beautiful and everything I ever wanted in an engagement ring!

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 14
  • Breanne
    Frequent user September 2019 Alberta
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I have now been together for just over 2 years. We met online and were inseparable from the first time we met.
    He proposed when we were on a weekend getaway in Canmore, Alberta. We were there to celebrate my recent university graduation (and little did I know, our engagement as well).
    He proposed on the very first day of our getaway. We are both big fans of the outdoors and love hiking whenever we are in the maintains, so when he asked to go for a hike, I didn’t think much of it. The beginning of the hike was very weird! I would crack jokes (which he usually at least pretends are funny haha), but would get no reaction at all! He seemed very off, but I didn’t think much of it (he later told me he was extremely nervous). We hiked for an hour and found ourselves on a little ledge/lookout point. I was admiring the view and he was setting up his camera so we could take some photos. He came over to me, and we smiled for a few “pictures”. That’s when he dropped down onto one knee and asked me to marry him. I was so surprised! We had talked about getting married someday, but we had discussed waiting until I had gone back to school for my Master’s degree. Also, he had his camera taking a video, not photographs! So special that we have the whole thing recorded and can always look back on that special day together.

Tell us about (or show us!) your proposal! 15
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh that's so cute!! 😭
  • Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing! I'm sure this place is extra special to you now - I know it is for me! My FH proposed right after we were at pumpkinferno! His parents live across the street, and we always go back to their place after our annual visit to pumpkinferno. He managed to gather friends and family and proposed by writing "will you marry me" in 4 pumpkins.

• Natalie
    Beginner March 2018 British Columbia
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

After a year together, we got engaged early August at Disneyland! We were in LA visiting his sister and her family, my first time meeting them. We went to Disneyland and he proposed in front of the Walt Disney statue with the castle in behind; he captured it on video and I was so surprised, my legs were shaking! My cheeks were hurting from smiling so much all day.

• Brooke
    Newbie November 2017 New Brunswick
    Brooke ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Fiance and I were aboard the Carnival Liberty 7 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise When he proposed and I had no Idea. We had booked supper at the Diamond Steakhouse aboard the Ship for the Thursday Night after disembarking from St Lucia to go to St Kitts.

We were getting ready for dinner and I remember there was a draw going on at one of the gift shops aboard the ship and he was still getting ready so I told him to met me at the gift shop. The draw was over and I go out to met him and he is out of breath? He said he had went the wrong way and had to run from the otherside of the ship (which was not surprising he had done that earlier in the week), so we walked to the Steakhouse.

We choice our bottle of wine, our choice of steak which if i may add was amazing! Our waitress comes over and takes over dessert choice and then I get up to go the Ladies room. Upon my return, the hostess but the napkin back on my lap and our waitress puts a bowl infront of me and pulls the lid off. Too my surprise my fiance got down on his knee next to the table and popped the question. After 7.5 Years together I of course said yes!

April 30, 2015 Proposal!April 30, 2015 Proposal!

• Sarah
    Curious January 2019 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I have been together for 2.5 years and we met online. We bought a house together in January and ever since I’ve been questioning when it’s going to happen? On September 16 he had an appointment downtown Calgary that seemed to be lasting a lot longer than it should have. Then to my surprise I received a Snapchat of him holding the ring box with the Calgary Peace Bridge in the background. Caption said “come find me”. I at this point am freaking out as I’m not dressed, hair isn’t done etc. But I make my way out the door to find the love of my life and as I walk into Princes Island Park there he is by the Canada 150 sign down on a knee. The built up anticipation of seeing him at the park knowing what was about to happen was so surreal. It took me a little bit to answer due to the tears but of course I said yes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics