Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie November 2018 British Columbia

Surprise Wedding...am i crazy?!

Carling, on September 12, 2018 at 23:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
So we've been engaged 5ish years lol had 2 kids in the meantime. No wedding planning in site. We're both super chill and laid back. Neither wanted a big thing. I'm cheap (super frugal) so I couldn't justify spending so much for one night.
ANYWAYS...we are just inviting our parents, siblings, and my grandparents. NOBODY will know what's happening until they get to our house. I'm planning on having a sign on the porch by the front door saying "Surprise! Welcome to our Wedding!" Its going to be a Sunday Afternoon in November in our Living Room...I'm crazy right?! Our kids will be our wedding party etc.
Any tips or ideas to help a girl out? Where do I start?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on September 13, 2018 at 22:58
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awesome idea. Simple and low key would be the best way to do your wedding. Dollar store vases and flowers. Casual event to let your guests enjoy bbq burgers, sausages, salads and dessert. Family recording your wedding and have a playlist ready for music.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think her name is Kay and she might be having her secret wedding this month if I remember correctly.

I'd make sure to cover the wedding up with an invite to some sort of dinner/event that CANNOT be missed. I know you also said casual, but make sure they know they shouldn't wear jeans with holes (aka. put an effort in). Also you will need an officiant to make the marriage legal and two witnesses (i.e. family members who volunteer right there), other than that you can pretty much do whatever you want! A bbq, potluck, pizza, chinese, whatever would work for food. You can have guests BYOB as well.

If you have someone in your family who is good at taking photos, maybe hint at them that they should bring a camera, that is if you want to save on photography. Also music is pretty easy, plug in someone's phone and get a playlist going!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's an awesome idea! Kinda wished I could do that instead of the hassles that come with dealing with other people while wedding planning!

If you didn't want to plan a full sit-down meal, a cocktail reception would be a lovely idea. You can easily make the hors-d'oeuvres from stuff from the grocery store. You could even make a food party of it for your family if the kids are old enough.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that is an AWESOME idea!!! there is a girl on the WW community that is planning a surprise wedding. her photo/icon is a lil fox that says "top secret". would be worth reaching out.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you want a small wedding there is nothing wrong with that. I personally love small intimate weddings. And I think you can definitely pull it off without a lot of the fuss and high costs.

I think I would give guests a heads up to dress in their Sunday best. I would feel really awkward if I showed up in very casual Sunday attire for a wedding (read yoga pants, messy bun and a comfy sweater or top).

And as others have said make sure the invite is one that implies they need to be there (and on time if that’s an issue for your group). Because you know they wouldn’t want to miss being a part of this.

For food I would look at getting it catered in from one of your favourite local restaurants or do some easy make ahead family style meals that can be cooked and left warm while the ceremony goes on (like lasagna, slow cooker meals, etc). And have your favourite dessert for after.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not crazy at all! I've heard of many people doing this. Heck - my own FMIL had a surprise wedding with the social being where it took place.

Sounds like you have the "venue" and the "invitations" would to be to invite them casually as to keep it a surprise.

As for the food and booze - that's whatever you want. It can be a potluck, or pizza, Chinese food, sushi - really whatever you want! If you want you could order from somewhere like Boston Pizza and get "real" food (pasta or steak or whatever). Alcohol could even be BYOB in this case as you are keeping it low key but it's always nice when that is provided no matter how many people are there.

One thing you really need is an officiant! Make sure that you have someone to do that!!

Otherwise it's just cake, a dress, and decor. Good luck!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's an amazing idea! Just be sure that those you invite know it's an important event that cannot be missed!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that sounds like an awesome idea! It's up to you how formal or casual you want to make it. More formal will require more details, (probably.)

Either way, I would suggest food of some sort to feed your guests after. You could order pizza, have a barbecue, have a potluck.

Anything specific you are wanting ideas for?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics