Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Suit Styles and Colours

Hank, on March 26, 2021 at 22:41 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15

Lots of discussions about dresses on Weddingwire but I want to put some spotlight on the gents (and ladies who opt to wear suits instead of dresses)! What made you decide on that particular style, colour, or pattern?

Here are some traditional suits in solid colours that are versatile. They can be worn to work, to other events, and be dressed up or down for the function.

Suit Styles and Colours 1

Suits also come in different patterns that make a statement.

Suit Styles and Colours 2

Maybe you're opting for more unique for your wedding, even if it's less traditional?

Suit Styles and Colours 3

Or maybe you prefer something much more casual but want to do more than just put on a shirt lol. A linen suit is great for outdoor summer weddings while sport coats look sharp. An odd waistcoat can further reduce the formality.

Suit Styles and Colours 4

Dinner jackets are great for those who want black tie but don't like the rigid rules associated with it.

Suit Styles and Colours 5

As for us, my fiancee told me her dress is "really formal" (without giving away too much on the details) and I've always wanted an excuse to wear a tuxedo again. We were originally getting married in winter so I opted for a black Coppley tuxedo, which my groomsmen also picked. But now that we're likely outside during the daytime, I'm thinking of going with a navy tuxedo instead (I own both, so it's no biggie). It'll lessen the contrast compared to the black one under the sun. I didn't want to make my guys spend more money on a second outfit and I didn't want to wear a regular suit while all the guys are wearing tuxedos.

I might still end up wearing the black one. September feels so far away right now that I might change my mind lol. Or I might wear both somehow.

Suit Styles and Colours 6

15 Comments

Latest activity by Steven, on April 3, 2023 at 13:40
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you. And you'll end up saving so much money compared to a typical white dress!

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha, you hit on my current planning conundrum 😅 He has his outfit but I don’t have mine chosen! I’m hoping for something colourful because white is not my colour so I’m sure I can hold my own next to him!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right on! Do you have a more flamboyant dress style to go with that flair?

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Suit Styles and Colours 7
    I was on app, now trying browser. It’s custom from Etsy.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The pic won't load (are you doing it from the app or the browser - I find the browser works way better than the app).

Do you have the retailer link or is it custom?

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I’m have problems not sure if photo will load ugh.

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can’t wait to get photos of him in it, but for now this is the only photo I have. I had to check colours against some DYI, so don’t mind the flowers (but we are going with the lefts ones if your curious about that lol).

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would love to see a picture of that.

• T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love when someone rocks a unique custom suit or tux instead of a generic black, ill-fitting rental suite. People that wear suites need to express their individuality also! My fiance is wearing a tye dye blazer jacket, it looks way better than it sounds. I was a bit concerned when he said that is what he wanted, it turned out way better than I expected and I can't wait to see him on the day!

• J
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance is using the wedding as his excuse to finally get a bespoke suit, though with COVID we're no longer sure it's going to happen. We joked that his suit might end up being more than my dress, but I really hope he gets to do it!

For the groomsmen, we didn't want to place too much burden on them to buy or rent custom suits, especially since one is plus size, so we're doing mismatched grey suits.
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé is wearing a really nice black suit that is from a fancy suit shop in town. He was going to do a custom suit but decided to go with one off the rack adjusted to fit him perfectly. He picked more budget friendly suits for the groomsmen at rw&co in a charcoal colour. It looks really nice together. The groomsmen suits came in quite a bit darker than we planned but they are still nice and look good
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and his best man will be wearing a navy suit with a white shirt and a gold tie. The flower in the picture will be different of course

Suit Styles and Colours 8

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was my thought! He already has a nice black suit but I thought that could be too dark for a spring wedding! So charcoal will be good to add to his collection!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a very versatile option. Pretty much every colour combination on the planet works with grey/charcoal and he'll be able to rewear that for anything.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiancé will be wearing a charcoal suit and the groomsmen will be wearing grey. I've always wanted the men in grey suits but my Fiancé wanted to stand out a bit more! We are hoping to go look at suits next month! I will leave the style up to him!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics