Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Curious May 2022 Ontario

Still getting married but pushing reception

Erin, on February 10, 2021 at 13:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 3 17
So we are waiting until March to completely decide what to do as we already have everything booked, but our most likely situation is getting married in my sisters backyard this year on our original June 27,2021 date and then doing the reception and a vow renewal next April. We have 225 people on our guest list right now and we don’t want to cut so many people out so that’s why we would do it this way because I don’t think restrictions will change too much. My question is has anyone done this, and if you have do you have pictures of your backyard wedding for inspo?? Also if you had a photographer already booked did you use them for your backyard wedding or did you save them for the reception the next year? Thanks so much need any advice I can get! I also have two wedding dresses so I was thinking I would wear one this year and the other one next year, or do I just wear both both times?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on March 19, 2021 at 09:36
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You would be surprised with photos, just because your photographer can do a lot of close ups with the back blurred.. We did all our photo's in the house and it turned out better than we expected.

You can take a look at our pictures if you'd like...
    https://jasonarias.pixieset.com/guestlogin/amandacorey2021/?return=%2Famandacorey2021%2F

Just enter as a guest ! Smiley smile

• Niki
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Erin! Your situation seems very similar to ours in a lot of ways except for the backyard wedding - our original plan was to have our church ceremony followed by reception. This is our third time postponing due to Covid and now we are planning to go through with our June 6th, 2021 wedding no matter what. We are splitting up our ceremony and reception because we too are expecting about 225 guests and can no longer push our lives. We also moved our reception to next April 2022! We talked to our photographer and to our decor about splitting up the services. They both were really understanding and since we hired 2 photographers (1 for 8 hours and 1 for 13) we were able to have both for the morning/church and left over hours for next year - with option to add more if we need to. There may be a fee to do this but our photographer worked with us on this. As for dresses- I was only planning to wear one dress on my wedding day, but now I dont feel right wearing my ceremony dress again for reception. Im going to find a more simple - fun -but still bridal and classy dress for the reception! If you were to choose I would choose your more formal/traditional dress for the ceremony and the other one for the reception!

• Erin
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds amazing! I am really getting excited for this small wedding, but I’m just finding it hard to find last minute changes like where to take photos and stuff.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Girl!
    We got married but not in our backyard we actually got married in our living room, with just our parents and siblings - We also live streamed it and sent out the invite to our FULL guest list to join if they choose too.
    We also postponed our reception & will still be doing a vow renewal next year with all of us together (pending COVID) of course.
    We did not use the same photographer just because we kind of made our wedding more of a comfortable and not so formal wedding... That being said my Uncle is a photographer so I asked him if he could do the pictures for us, and he was honored to do so!
    We catered in food and bought a lot of booze for everyone present and it was honestly the greatest time ever!

• Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! It’s so hard to come to terms with change on your special day, but whatever you do will be beautiful!
  • Clinton Lynch
    Curious December 2020 British Columbia
    Clinton Lynch ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What an amazing looking day Smiley smile

• Suz
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Suz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is so lovely -- thank you for sharing! We had to change what we initially thought a "wedding" was supposed to be/mean, and it did make me quite sad since so many of my family won't be able to fly in. But it's so amazing to see that despite having to push receptions/parties, it still looks like you loved going through with your ceremony, no matter the size or set-up Smiley heart

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its great to hear your going with your plan to get married and have your reception/vow renewal celebrations next year and yes you can wear your dress for both times if you choose or one for each since the pictures now will have one and no one will have seen the other. Couples have had their photographer come out for the wedding still and next year for the celebrations since they know the times are not where we want to be.

• Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing the same, we will make our decision by end of March begining of April but it is pretty much there, we might even decide sooner.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a beach wedding with our immediate family and our wedding party (about 20 including us and the photographer and officiant).

Our photographer did a few getting ready shots, our first look, ceremony, and then some group shots and couples photos. We didn't have the photographer at our reception at my parents house and I regret it a little bit. We are postponing our reception until October, but if it doesn't happen I'll be a little sad we missed out on candid shots of those who were there with us. We added a few hours of coverage so we could have her photograph our 2020 wedding and our 2021 reception.
  • Shantel
    Beginner September 2022 Ontario
    Shantel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! I’m doing the same thing! Getting married June 18 2021 and and doing my reception next year. Something small with family.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We paid for 8 hours with our photographer so if we're stuck only doing the ceremony and postponing the reception, she has agreed to split the time for us. Something you can certainly ask your photographer for consideration.

• Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It will be so special! ❤️
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

People have shared their small ceremonies from last year a lot on this forum. Here are a few threads that you can look through:

https://community.weddingwire.ca/forums/advice-from-previous-brides-that-had-their-wedding-during-covid--t45863

https://community.weddingwire.ca/forums/i-am-on-the-fence-with-doing-a-intimate-cermony--t45499

https://community.weddingwire.ca/forums/brides-&-grooms-who-decided-to-move-their-receptions--t45893

There are definitely more if you search.

To specifically answer a few of your questions, we still kept our photographer for our ceremony but for a shorter period of time. We have no obligation to book her for our future reception but we most likely will. We also both wore our wedding outfits as planned and will wear them again for our future reception.

• Erin
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Your photos are awesome and so helpful. I am actually getting excited to do something more intimate for our ceremony because I hate public speaking and being in front of large groups of people so I think it will be more special with just our immediate family 🥰
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got married in August in a small ceremony at my in-laws farm and have postponed our reception a second time now from 2020 to 2021 to 2022. We had our parents on the front lawn with us and then the rest of our immediate family and bridal party watching from farther away. We had our photographer come and then will have him come back for our reception in 2022. I am saving my dress for the reception so got a much simpler dress for our ceremony. We didn’t do any reception, just the small ceremony and a champagne toast with cupcakes and cookies, then my husband and I went out for dinner just the 2 of us. I’ll attach a bunch of pictures of what our set up looked like because I know it was super helpful seeing pictures of what others had done when I was planning! We DIY’d everything, with a lot of stuff from the dollar store!Still getting married but pushing reception 1
    Still getting married but pushing reception 2

Still getting married but pushing reception 3

Still getting married but pushing reception 4

Still getting married but pushing reception 5

Still getting married but pushing reception 6

Still getting married but pushing reception 7

Still getting married but pushing reception 8

Still getting married but pushing reception 9

Still getting married but pushing reception 10

Still getting married but pushing reception 11
    I hope that helps! Once I got over the initial sadness of postponing I actually found it nice to get to have both an intimate and a bigger celebration. Sorry you’re going through this, but I’m sure everything will turn out wonderful ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics