Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristina
Curious September 2018 Ontario

Spanx or no spanx

Kristina, on June 20, 2018 at 10:38 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19
I am really stressing about what to wear under my dress. Originally I had planned to wear some no line undies (probably thong) and get a bra sewn in but now I am worried about find proper underwear that won't make lines on my waistline and having a slim waist. In my mind i see this line when i wear the dress just under my belly buttton from my stomach lip but my friends disagree. I also don't know if shapewear will fix this problem or if I can alter the waist tighter to get rid of the line. Most people I have talked to wore shapewear but I'm worried it will be so hot and humid that I will just sweat. I am really torn and have my first fitting in 2 weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Josaf, on March 25, 2024 at 10:41
  • A
    Beginner November 2020 Ontario
    Arsh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would try Skims. i was skeptical at first but the shapewear fit like a dream and was good for humid weather. maybe order 1-2 from different companies and try to them out when your out and about running errands and see your comfort level from there. i would def have it as a back up even if you change your mind closer to the wedding at least its there instead of scrambling last minute

• M
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Can I know where you got your spanx from?
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am looking into buying spanx. I think it's the way to go so everything is smoothed out.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love Adore Me!!
  • Kristina
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My dress is a mermaid A-line hybrid and so it is slim through the good which is the issue. I will be having cups sewn in but want to get rid of tummy line and have issues with underwear line...no show undies don't work for me haha

Spanx or no spanx 1
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish I was able to wear shapewear with my dress - I love the way it smooths everything out. My dress has an illusion plunging neckline and an illusion open back. so my dress with have a built in bra and I will be wearing a no-line thong.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought a full slip spanx to wear under my wedding dress but opted out of wearing it the day of because it would have been too warm. I had a corset back though so I could easily get away with not wearing one.

What style dress do you have?

• C
    Curious June 2024 British Columbia
    Calla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ahh I want to wear spanx but don't think I'll be able to because my dress has a low back. Anyone know of an option that will work in this situation?

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear some to your fitting to see how it looks. Maybe bring a few different pairs to see what you like best.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say just grab a pair or two just in case! Bring them with you to the fitting and see how you feel?

I'm honestly in the same boat, except I have a mermaid dress and I am thinking of shape wear that has a bit of poof at the bottom to help fill out the bottom portion of my dress? I have seen something like it at Davids Bridal... but like you I am so worried about being too warm...

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so funny that you mentioned that... after I took off my spandex from even 4 hours of wearing them (I didn’t have a chance to eat breakfast for lunch) I felt so nauseous! It’s funny what they can do to you!
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose shapewear under my dress to help keep everything together. If you're not set on it, bring in what you were planning to wear and see how it looks with your dress (remember sample dresses have a completely different feeling compared to a new dress if that's what you chose). If you still feel you want more hidden after the first fitting, then you can go and find some shapewear that can help.

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm definitely wearing spanx! My dress, while an A-line, does cling a bit to my tummy, so in the interest of it not showing off all of my unflattering curves, I am going to wear spanx. Smiley smile

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll definitely be wearing spanx! I hate when my thighs rub together, so that's mostly what I'm wearing them for - I wear them regularily under dresses, and find them quite comfortable. I don't find I have a line at all, usually because it ends just under your bra.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore spanx under my dress and i actually think it prevented me from sweating. my stomach wasn't rubbing on the material of the dress, which during my fittings made it very sweaty. i also found that even though i didn't eat much throughout the day because i was so busy, i didnt feel hungry because the spanx held my stomach really tight, after i took them off i realized i was starving and felt sick. I'm sure different people have different perspectives but i actually found them very comfortable and i felt a lot better in my dress!

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've thought about this a lot too! I have some saggy belly skin that I fear will get in my way but I'm hoping to find a nice one piece lingerie to wear under my dress that hides the skin i dont want to be seen, but also to stop any of those lines from showing through! I order quite often from adore me and love their stuff, so I'm going to look there closer to my wedding Smiley smilethey always have tons of options though!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's shapewear that isn't super tight rubbery spanx... Honestly I have a double-panelled tank top I wear under a lot of shirts because it doesn't really suck anything in, just smooths it out so my blouses don't catch and crease...

Try looking into more "daily" shapewear/smoothers, they are generally less expensive, and if anything, all it will do is give you that extra security not to be self-conscious. If your girls tell you it looks good, it probably does, but I totally understand, once something is in your head, it's hard to let go of it.

Try The Bay for just basic "smoothers"... that would be my best suggestion...

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Shapewear doesn't need to be expensive but alterations can be. If you have the time to go look for some I would suggest bringing it with you to your first fitting if it's something your considering and try on your dress with several options for under the dress. And have the seamstress give you an idea of the price range you'd be looking at for the alterations instead of shapewear.

Shapewear comes in many forms so some go right up to your bra, some include the bra, some are just the waiste, some no waste and just the legs. Also finding the right size will take time. It's not about getting being as tight as possible (that can make the lines worse). My dress won't allow any but I did consider it just to ensure that seamless line.

We mentioned it to my mom for the same reason and she's converted and excited to get some for the day. She's not small and has dealt with weight issues so it's something that will make her feel more comfortable on the day.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the dress and how you feel. I think shapewear will fix things and be cheaper than alterations to your dress. Keep in mind that September is notoriously odd weather. Some times autumn comes early and sometimes it is a prolonged summer so don't let the weather influence you too much. We got married late September last year and it was like 18-20 degrees during the day but dropped to like 6-10 at night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics