Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shla
Devoted October 2021 Ontario

Small wedding - rant

Shla, on July 23, 2018 at 11:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 31
We are planning a super small wedding. I am talking 30 guests (including ourselves and my daughter) is pushing it, probably closer to 25 people. We have not much family and not many friends. This is being planned in Belleville, Ontario.

The reaction I am getting from venues is insane! One has actually gone and just flat out said "Try a back yard. No point hosting a nice wedding for that few." I'm a pretty big firecracker so I hung up before I lost my cool on her. None will really give us the time of day even though we are willing to pay the cost for their minimum (the smaller, 60 guest minimum ones).

I'm sitting here thinking about the entire wedding industry and how it really does try to force us into excess when it comes to spending and size. It's infuriating. And in my case - sorry 90% of our families have died? Like...our bad for that being an inconvenience for you?

Has anyone else planning a small wedding run into this? I'm getting so frustrated.

*Elopement isn't an option or we'd do that.

31 Comments

Latest activity by Cynthia, on August 11, 2018 at 16:47
  • Cynthia
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have 35 guests and my wedding will cost $2500 (dress, decorations, papers, everything!) 😁
  • Cynthia
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I’ve run into that when looking at venues, all had a minimum number 100 guests. Or were simply to large of a venue and would have looked empty etc.
    We have approx 35 guests...

so we are doing our reception at our favourite date night restaurant. We will be having a cake and having served a signature drink, I am also decorating the tables etc. We are reserving the entire section with the piano player and small dance floor.
  • Kaitlyn-Anne
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Kaitlyn-Anne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow I've been looking it's still very early for us. But we only plan to have 30 people tops. My family size is small and his is larger but still we don't want to fork over a crapload of money to have people we don't really know or care about. This will be interesting when we start really looking into venues. I would love to have a backyard wedding, but I don't know if it will be possible.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yup. Originally had 35 guest. Had such a hassle finding an affordable venue that had good food and a minimum under 80 guests.

Some smaller restaurants can accommodate a small wedding party for a good price. Also ask around to see if a friend or relative has a nice backyard or barn.

We ended up hosting in our home and small backyard with 21 guests. Just decorated nicely and my MIL helped with food. Got to return alcohol we didn't use and other cooking utensils.

Was also jaded when I did initial wedding research. Do what you are happy with and don't worry about what people are trying to sell you.

Also small weddings are a minimum of $5000

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree it's rude, a lot of venues have a minimum of 60-100 guests and their intentions are to make as much money as possible off every couple that walks through their doors. I know this is probably frustrating for you, but I also think your smaller wedding has some advantages (and potential for savings!). I'd consider a nice restaurant - some smaller restaurants will close down to the public for weddings and parties, and some restaurants have their own rooms that can be reserved/rented out. With this option, whatever money you were going to spend on a minimum headcount can go towards more food, alcohol or entertainment for your guests. Additionally, if you have a big enough backyard, you can rent a tent, tables, chairs and hire a catering company to take care of the food.

• C
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Chrissy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shla did you end up booking a wedding venue yet.. I have about 60 guests looking to host a smallish wedding next fall totally off season.. have not been able to find anything yet! my only venue that I love but not sure if I' am going crazy by spending 18k on 60 ppl including everything food.. open bar.. overnight stay .. flowers.. photos..DJ... We have looked at every venue from Grand Bend to Picton lol Smiley sad even some restaurants too feeling totally lost.. looking for something elegant .. do not want to do the all inclusive wedding away.

• Annalise
    Beginner September 2019 Alberta
    Annalise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you on this. I recently got told by a caterer that they would not travel (approx. 15 min) for less than 150 people minimum. However, I thought it was a bit presumptuous given that they didn't even consider the fact that maybe we would be willing to pay more per person than usual.

• Annalise
    Beginner September 2019 Alberta
    Annalise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh, the high level street car in Edmonton?! My fiancé rented it out for my 30th birthday party and it was fantastic. Great time with a $10 liquor license! lol

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry your having that kind of reaction! I also experienced a lot of people telling me how small my wedding is we are only having 90 guest, a little less. I prefer a more private intimate setting anyways. We are social people but some things aren't meant for everyone, and we like it that way. Hang in there, you will find the perfect venue, sometimes a "no" is a blessing in disguise. The wedding industry is definitely an industry of excess spending.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh I'm sorry you're getting that kind of reaction. We're planning a small wedding as well (35 people) and I have had nothing but positive reactions from all the places we looked into... mind you I pretty much stuck to restaurants or small inns in the cobourg area. Maybe try something like That?
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding industry is nuts! I agree with you that it seems like excess is the point of the wedding and not the celebration, unfortunately.

We had our wedding on some family property because I had always imagined getting married there and we didn't have to deal with all the difficulties of a standard venues rules and regulations.

I would agree with what others have said about just saying you will have the minimum for the venue and see where it gets you. It's not like they can turn you away the day of your wedding because you don't have the minimum number of guests. They have to know that some people will decline and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Shla
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A Friday in September.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    When are you looking to get married? You may have more luck during a low period. Or on a Friday night.
  • Shla
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have called banquet centers, community centers where we need to hire an outside caterer, restaurants and little clubs (Lions, Kiwanas, Shriners etc), everything around. Told them we don't mind a spend minimum. They Just write it off when they hear it's small.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding industry is a crazy industry, unfortunately!

Have you tried looking at some non-conventional venues? Like a restaurant, an art gallery or museum...or even a boat or train (I'm in Edmonton, and you can actually rent out a two-car train for events under 20/30 people!)

I would suggest even telling them the minimum, or slightly more than the minimum (since you are willing to pay the minimum price!) They don't know how many no's you will get; we were aiming to have a wedding for 100 guests, and it ended up being less than 80. But, when we booked, we thought it would be 100.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some venues won't care or sympathise woth you about that low guest count. I do agree with those saying it rude to say such comments to you.

Restaurants though are a better choice since they clise for private functions as yours to host. Search around and see if any pf them are willing to work around your guest count.

Do feel disappointed or down about the halls. They just are the way they are in general.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is bananas! I'm honestly not shocked by the venues reaction to your small wedding tho. When we began planning ours, we were aiming to keep the guest list close to 100 and we had several venues not take us seriously.

I would suggest finding a nice restaurant with a private area for events instead of looking at larger venues. Good luck!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yikes! I'm so sorry that people are being so rude!

I get you're willing to pay the minimum... but I guess venues would rather that have be a backup plan, then know that's actually all they are going to make. Still though, you're a paying customer, and should be treated way better.

I agree with the other girls. Look for a restaurant or something similar that you can either rent out, or rent the private room/portion. Or "unique" venues that have a 50 person maximum... take advantage of your small guest list and go to the venues that many people can't use due to having too many guests!

Good luck with your search!

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding was around 37-people (including us).

WE didn't get married in our home town though. We went 4 hours away to where our cabin is.

Had the ceremony at the cabin and the reception at the local even hall.

But... we did get price quotes from around town first (Canmore/Banff area is wedding central). No one really questioned our head count. I was just too cheap to pay insane wedding season prices for everything-in an already over priced town.

Maybe try looking at unconventional places, something more unique? Like a trendy restaurant or art gallery of sorts?

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding industry is crazy though I do appreciate where they are coming from in a business perspective - they could however be a heck of a lot politer about it!

What sort of venues have you been calling? I got married in a nice lake front resturant and had a small guest count. That being said - we did have a minimum spend. It just meant we picked more food for our guests.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When trying to find venue for 30 I got a lot of "oh well we have a minimum spend that wont work for you" before even telling me what that was. Um- you have no idea how much money I have or are willing to spend; why do you assume that I have a small guest count because I can't afford a larger one? Maybe I want a small wedding and spend a ton on the people we have there? I found it just rude.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh I hear you don't worry... we had to give a good bit of extra money to our venue to allow us to use the room we liked sooo much more in their venue! The minimum was higher than the numbers we had but we did an additional fee to be able to claim it!

Sadly I think a lot of venues hope to get a bigger party in especially on Saturdays to in the end get more money.

Have you thought about maybe doing a Friday or Sunday wedding? I feel venues are a lot more open and flexible on those days!

Good luck!

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you getting married during a busy time? Like a Saturday in the summer? We didn’t get a reaction like you did when we were looking for around 40 people (we are now up to 65). But we are getting married in a quiet time when venues don’t have much else happening.

Venues likely don’t want to book the space with a small number when they know they will book it for more.

Maybe think of other venues then what you have been trying. Like a resteraunt with a private room?
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you called restaurants? With that few people you could see about reserving a function room at a nice restaurant or even renting out half of it.

If there is one you love I would book an appointment to go in and do a tour and talk about a wedding. But then be open to discussing a min spend on the event to compensate for the smaller guest count. It takes a lot of work from the side of the vendor to put on the event so I can understand being hesitant to take on a wedding of 35 people if they space is designed for 200. But a good venue will be willing to work with you if your also willing to be understanding that they have to bring in a certain $$ in order to cover their costs on the event and are willing to meet them there.
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A restaurant or community hall would work! My friend got married in a restaurant and I think it turned out lovely! The food was great and the cost is also lower!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can only empathize, as my wedding is a more 'regular' size, but one of my colleagues went through the same problem a couple years ago.

I don't remember what they eventually chose, but I know that they looked at a few restaurants. If the dining room is small, you might be able to rent the full place for the night, granted you pay the restaurant enough to cover their usual revenue. Otherwise, you can see if any restaurant has private dining rooms. We've rented those quite often for family events.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awe that is so frustrating! Really makes you see the greed in businesses when it comes to wedding planning. I’m sure you’ll find something!
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found a venue that I fell in love with and they have a maximum cap on the guests, but not a minimum. What they do require is a minimum amount spent on food and beverages. If you don't have many guests then you will be spending more on appetizers, late lunch and alcohol to make the difference.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly got that kind of feed back but without the option for a backyard wedding. My guest count is around the 200-250 area and most venues told me that they can't accommodate that many people. And of course the ones that could were all-inclusive... aka $30,000 starting price before MUA, DJ, or Bar service. People in this industry seem to always find a reason that you are in the wrong or that you're asking for something drastically unrealistic. (A venue for less than $25,000???? Are you insane???? - no, just know that I don't want to pay that much for what they would be giving.)

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is so frustrating. My wedding is a bit bigger, but when we were looking for venues most of them had a 20 people minimum policy, which is less than your number.

Maybe a community hall or or a restaurant would be options to consider?
  • Phaidra
    Frequent user October 2019 Alberta
    Phaidra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ulgh, that's so awful! I'm sorry that people are so...dumb. It's stupid cause you should be able to rent it for you just to stand there alone as long as you're paying for the space. It's entirely their loss, isn't it?

I hope you can find a venue to work with you so your day is exactly how you want it! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics