Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

EbonyAriana
Curious September 2020 British Columbia

September postponement?

EbonyAriana, on April 24, 2020 at 22:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 2 46
Hey everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well during this absolutely crazy time.
My question for everyone is for September brides what are you doing?? Are you keeping with the original plans or postponing? My date is Sept 18th and I'm not sure what I'll have to do. I'm a little disheartened at the moment so it will be much appreciated to see what everyone else is doing!

46 Comments

Latest activity by Chi-Chi, on May 10, 2020 at 10:16
  • Chi-Chi
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Chi-Chi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi! We moved our October 3rd date to April 24, 2021. We couldn’t imagine planning with so many what ifs and the stress was becoming too much. It’s a tough time for everyone and I don’t want members of our wedding party (and guests) thinking about our wedding when some have lost their jobs because of the pandemic. We prefer that the people in our life used their mental energy on caring for loved ones, thinking about finding employment in a tight labour market and taking care of themselves mentally and physically. We’re happy with our decision. Our venue (Walper Hotel) and vendors were so easy to work with. The new date worked for all of them so I’m glad we didn’t lose out on on money or gain the stress of finding new vendors. Good luck with everything!
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Ebony.
    September 17th bride here.
    So far everything is still ago. All our plans are in place and ready to go. But I do have a slight problem. I have no dress. I planned had an appointment to go and the lock down happen. Honestly I'm hoping everything will work out. I'm not stressing yet. Maybe come July then I'll begin to worry.
  • Courtney
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello!!

What a stressful process this has been. I am trying to remain positive, but that is a lot easier said then done! Our wedding is September 19th. Our venue is only cancelling 6 weeks out at a time but I’m not sure I’ll be able to wait till that close!! My heart is with all of you. As much as I wish none of us had to go through this I’m glad we have this little community for some love and support ❤️❤️
  • Kimmy
    Newbie August 2021 Alberta
    Kimmy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding was supposed to be on September 12th, 2020 in Edmonton, AB. Our venue has made the decision to cancel all their events until Winter. I'm kind of relieved that they basically made the decision for us. We've been on edge since this whole pandemic started. Our Fall wedding is now going to be a winter wedding, Feb 2021. Even though our wedding is small to begin with (50-60ppl) we didn't want to shrink it anymore! It's important for us for our close friends an family to be there to witness and share this special day with us and we didn't want to do the small (15ppl) ceremony now and then party later either.
    Good luck and fingers crossed for your wedding Smiley smile

• EbonyAriana
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I definitely can see how that would stress you out. My fiance's family is from the UK so we know at least some of them won't be able to make it.

All the best of luck to you and your fiance Smiley heart Would you guys still go ahead as planned if you're able to even if some family cant make it or would you postpone?

• EbonyAriana
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm holding out as well as much as I can. My venue just cancelled all summer weddings until mid to end of august but they said September is still good to go for now. Im hoping for the best!

Best of luck to you as well!Smiley heart

• EbonyAriana
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are the looking at around 100 people at the moment. We technically have 70 RSVP's but the people who haven't RSVP'd are his family who we know will most likely come.

It's so hard to know. So far our venue has offered us a few back up dates but if we have to postpone we also have to move around our Disney world honeymoon. Smiley cry It is what it is I suppose! Everyone is going through the same thing.

• Shauna
    Newbie May 2021 British Columbia
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How many people is your wedding? It’s so hard to plan with the unknown Smiley sad
  • Shauna
    Newbie May 2021 British Columbia
    Shauna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are still planning on ours going ahead on August 29th. That being said it’s only 50 ppl outdoors.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im beg of aug and im holding out and i think we will be ok!!! have faith!!

• K
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are planning on keeping everything the same for September 5th. However, it's looking a little rocky for us with the borders being closed and him being American as to whether or not we'll be able to keep our original date. Also feeling the stress of all the craziness...

• Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We postponed our September wedding!

We didn't want it to be any unnecessary stress for our guests or ourselves. We also stopped enjoying planning it because of the uncertainty of covid. It wasn't an easy decision but it felt like a huge sigh of relief when we made it Smiley smile

Hope you make a decision that feels right for youSmiley smile

• A
    Newbie October 2021 Manitoba
    Anastasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I also just postponed my wedding. It was supposed to be October 3 2020. I agree with what you say about everything being up in the air and I always felt if were putting the time, money, and emotional effort into planning such a special day then it shouldn’t be subpar.

I feel with you but we will all get through this and hopefully (fingers crossed) laugh about it someday.
    Take care
  • Brittany
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Update from my previous post - we officially postponed. Our wedding was set to be October 17th of this year (I know, still so far away!) but we just felt there was way too much up in the air. I would rather have the wedding that I dreamed of, even if it is a year later. My FH have been together for almost 6 years and have been living together for 5, so getting married next year instead really isn't going to change anything! We also thought about doing a private ceremony on our date of this year - I even confirmed it with our officiant. But then I was being kept awake by thoughts of "what-if"s - wondering if a small part of me would regret not saving everything for the big day. I want to feel every emotion as naturally and as raw as it would have been if it was our original plan. Ultimately we decided that our best option was to just fully postpone. I feel a lot better after making this decision, as I did not like feeling that I was not in control LOL. So many factors we considered when making this choice, a big one being one of my bridesmaids is currently living in Australia and their international travel bans are expected to be in place for quite some time. Also, I really want to go on a honeymoon right away, and I just can't be sure that this will be doable by October. The saddest part about postponing for me honestly is that I want to wear my dress LOL. I bought it in June of 2019 Smiley sad Oh well, it will be even more amazing after such a long wait!

• Meghan
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi,
    I feel you. I'm getting married September 27 and had the conversation with my Fiance and Maid of Honour if we should postpone. We decided to go forward and if this doesn't lift by August we will postpone, elope (maybe live streaming or make a video for the family to see) and then do the reception in 2021. We decided to wait until August to postpone because are guest are all in the Greter Toronto Area and about 15 from USA, New Jersey which is a 9 hour drive to us. But if we had people fly in for the wedding, I would postpone now.
  • T
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We moved our wedding from May 30th to October 17th. We decided that’s as far as we are willing to push it. If there are still restrictions we will just have a tiny backyard ceremony. We are both in our mid thirties and have been together over 4 years so we want to get married however that ends up looking. I’m hopeful things will be looking better by fall.
  • Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was September 12. We sat down and discussed it and there were more reasons to postpone than to not. The stress of waking up every day not knowing was a huge one. Something else that came up was even if they lift gathering restrictions at the end of summer, we weren't sure everyone would still feel comfortable to gather. I didnt want to deal with no-shows, late RSVPS or people feeling pressured to do something they werent comfortable with. Lastly, we did a lot of research to pick out the perfect team of vendors, I'd be really disappointed to lose any of them. With 2021 filling up FAST the chances were getting slimmer we'd find a day that they were all available. We kept our ceremony on our original date for just our immediate families to attend, we've hired a videographer and will play the video for our guests at the rescheduled reception.
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far we are still ago. I'm waiting for July to make a decision. Other then that everything is ready to go.
  • Brittany
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are thinking of doing the same thing! Our date isn’t until October, but we have a few people travelling internationally and I really want to go on my honeymoon right after LOL. So we’re thinking of sticking to our date and having just the necessary people (officiant and witnessed), and then doing the whole shebang one year from the date.
  • TaylorGoodson
    Newbie September 2021 Manitoba
    TaylorGoodson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes we were very invested in our date! I ended up getting a white tea-length dress for our "civil ceremony" this year. We're only telling close family or out of town people we notified in advance about the date change. Otherwise we're really not sharing that we're getting married this year either.

Our photographer also offered to videotape the ceremony so we can share it with family later.

• Sheri-Lyn
    Frequent user May 2022 Ontario
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the same thing we are doing and I love it so we can keep our date as planned that means a lot to us. We are not sure we will let anyone know other then the few that will be there until the wedding next year and share with all the guest a couple photos from this day. I want to save my dress and everything for the big day with everyone!

• Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhhh August 8 is our wedding date as well!!
  • TaylorGoodson
    Newbie September 2021 Manitoba
    TaylorGoodson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've decided to move ours to 2021. We were really set on getting married this year - so we still are, in a private ceremony (no family, two witnesses, officiant and a photographer) with a small dinner after with whomever we are able given the limitations.

In 2021, we'll have the actual wedding (big dress, big flowers, etc) and the only difference is instead of wedding vows, we'll have a "vow update" after one year of marriage.

It's all we can do! We have a lot of elderly guests and people coming from out of town.

• Natalie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've decided to call off the wedding until I know travel restrictions are lifted and that it's 100% safe to have a room with 200+ people. I had two back up dates. My original date was September 5th.

I realized planning during this time is not only difficult with vendors, but emotionally draining. I want everyone to feel safe and happy at my wedding. I want it to be a celebration where everyone can have fun and move and do things freely without worrying about COVID.
    I'm heart broken, but I've accepted it. If things change, I do still have my back up dates. But as of right now, I've let go. Wishing every bride here the most amazing precious wedding ever! 💖
  • EbonyAriana
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue has offered us 3 different back up dates. So at this point I'm basically waiting it out until July and then making a final decision. I'm not the biggest fan of having so many back up dates because I feel like one will pass by and then the next and then the next and then maybe , finally maybe get married. I suppose it's a waiting game for everyone though. We are all in the same boat!

• T
    Beginner August 2020 Alberta
    Tia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was scheduled for August 8, our venue contacted us on Friday and told us they will be closed until sept 21 and will reassess the situation then. They offered us a few backup dates (1 in January and 1 in March) or a full refund of our deposits. We took the refund as we don’t feel that we want to spend a crazy amount of money for the whole fancy experience when it’s not even when we originally wanted/imagined. we are still getting married on our date with our 15 people in my dress, getting all of our photos, etc.
    We are now thinking of doing something cheaper and casual either in the spring or on our first anniversary- like a reception or party after an elopement, although I don’t think I’ll be quick to make the decision. I find some comfort in being able to celebrate with everyone rather then cancelling completely even though it won’t be exactly what we planned.
    I hope you figure it out and stay safe!
  • K
    Curious September 2023 Ontario
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it may depend on the venue you booked with; our date is September 12th of this year and although our vendors were willing to change to a date next year, our venue is only moving dates six weeks out at a time depending on government recommendations at that time. Which makes sense; they can't really take all the weddings from this year and bump it to the next year, it's not realistic or reasonable. So we are playing it by ear right now and planning as if it's still happening in September. We'll revisit with the venue in July if things haven't improved, and I'm just trying to be optimistic!
  • Brooke
    Beginner November 2022 Ontario
    Brooke ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s definitely hard. We’ve been together close to three years and want to have kids and have time to be married without kids, but my siblings are my universe; there is no way I could be married without them. And since I’m religious, the ceremony is the important part for me, and I want them there for it.
  • EbonyAriana
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My FH family is mostly from the UK so we are dealing with the same thing. That is definitely one of the reasons I'm so worried and considering picking a few dates to postpone to.

I just want to get married but I want to have " the whole experience " with the wedding and reception.

• EbonyAriana
    EbonyAriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is very true. Deposits are definitely something I didn't look at. My venue emailed me today giving me some options for late fall / winter and dates for next year I could choose from. Im very thankful for that right now but I'm trying to stay hopeful that September will be salvageable.

• Brooke
    Beginner November 2022 Ontario
    Brooke ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked for November next year. Almost my entire family lives outside of Canada and is medically vulnerable, so I am fully prepared to push it to early spring 2022 if need be. Especially after seeing everyone out visiting friends on porches the minute the sun came out today! A friend is keeping her September date and just skipping the reception. We can all have big parties later; think of it as a war story to tell the grandkids!
  • V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We chose the same venue. We used our venue as the guideline for which dates we could choose. The venue was our largest deposit so we didn’t want to lose that. Luckily our photographer accommodated to our new date. We did have to book a different band though, so we lost a $200 deposit which wasn’t too bad. 2021 is pretty booked up already....

It’s up to you at the end of the day, but we decided that if we were going to lose a vendor it’s going to be the vendor with the lowest deposit we put down so we lose the least money. Hopefully that makes sense!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics