Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious September 2018 Manitoba

Seating plan

Santana, on June 20, 2017 at 15:11 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Am I being lazy for not wanting to make a seating chart? I figured I would reserve table for our parents and everyone else can just sit where they want. I went to a wedding with my in-laws last summer and the chart said my fiancé and I had to sit with people we didn't know.... instead of with the rest of his brothers. I didn't like that. So maybe me skipping this step will make people happy? or would it just cause a headache? Help!!!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 20:45
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Deslitw of what happened at the other wedding, create a seating plan to know you as the coule are happy and all the guests have a place
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only have 30 guests but I'm doing a seating chart precisely because I want to put people with other people they know. It's not something you have to do. It just depends on your preference.

• Baily
    Newbie July 2017 British Columbia
    Baily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I suggest a seating chart. Just makes things run smoothly from the get go. As the night proceeds, and people get up to dance then they can kind of sit wherever they please.... but for dinner, it's nice to just know where to go.

• Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree that making a seating chart can seem like a daunting task, but unless you have a very small guest list, I think it saves your guests a lot of stress.

People like knowing where they're going to sit and not scout the room for a spot. Let's say, a group of people run late (ex. a family of 4). What if there isn't a table that can accommodate all of them? Do they have to split up? What if grandpa doesn't want to run the risk of sitting near the sub-woofer speakers? Smiley tongue

I think generally, guests enjoy a wedding more when they are with people that they might know, or with people that the couple feel that they will hit it off with.

Like Daphne said, it also makes things smoother for your venue when they know which guests with special requirements are seated.

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Santana, Nice to meet you. I send you some discussion to see what the other brides-to-be think about it. - Seating - Seating - Seating! (children and babies of wedding party) How is the rest of the planning going? xx

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I recommend a seating chart. I went to a wedding last year where I knew no one and nobody sat with us! It was so awkward. So unless everyone who is coming is close family, id make a chart.
  • Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing Family style, people can sit where ever they want, no stressing over where they will sit. let them figure it out.

• S
    Curious September 2018 Manitoba
    Santana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ya I guess that makes sense. thank you very much ladies

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is better to have a seating chart. For guests who come in groups or as couples, as seats fill up, it becomes harder for them to try and find seats together. I tried to seat people together the best I could and with people they know. Also I wanted to make sure I didn't have any extra tables because then I end up having to pay more, it takes up more space, and you have random tables with empty chairs.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The main reason for having a seating chart is to ensure that you don't have to have more tables than the number of people attending. As well, as making sure that if you have any guests that have special requirements, think older guests who have trouble moving around and would be best closer to the exit/restrooms/etc., you want to make sure the table closest to whatever they need is kept for them.

People seating themselves wherever usually means you end up with tables that have an empty chair because people will form the groups they want and rarely does this work out to the exact number of people that can sit at a table. You then end up with a few couples trying to find a table that has enough space for both of them or friends that came as singles, but don't want to be sitting alone with a table of potential strangers.
    In the end it's up to you, but it's usually just easier for guests to know where they're sitting than to try and find a seat at a table that may or may not still have open seats.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics