Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Curious August 2019 Newfoundland and Labrador

Seating! (children and babies of wedding party)

Jessica, on March 2, 2017 at 16:49 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hi all!

I've been reading up on other websites that the "head table" is not really what it used to be. All the weddings I've attended the wedding party (only) sits at the head table with the Bride and Groom. This seems a bit odd to me, since members of my wedding party have kids (and before anyone says, "ahh! why have you picked your wedding party so soon?" the two I have chosen so far are my sisters).
Would it be weird to have my head table be me, husband, best man (and spouse) and man of honor (and spouse), and just let the rest of my wedding party sit with their families. I feel like it would be a little chaotic to have them sitting up with us, when the kids will be wanting to go back and forth.

Ideas/Opinions? Has anyone else had a "non-traditional" head table?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on March 13, 2017 at 14:49
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a similar issue, although my SIL tells me she was looking forward to handing off her kids for the wedding. We have decided to let/make our wedding party sit with their significant others and/or friends and just do a sweetheart table. We want to include a couple of extra chairs that are designated as visiting chairs at our sweetheart table so people feel welcome to come as talk to us, when we aren't roaming the room.

• Jessica
    Curious August 2019 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think we'll have a "kids table". We are looking at around 10-12 kids, all under 7 (except 1 who will be 12, and he has already shown lots of interest in helping, so we'll see!) Literally 1/6th of our reception will be kids under 7! Hahaha. But I wouldn't have it any other way, they are my siblings kids (I'm one of 6 kids, and most of my siblings have 2+ kids themselves).

We will have some kid-friendly activities, so I will take a look at that article for some ideas!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If i was in your situation I would just do a sweetheart table for just you and your FH and let the rest of your bridal party sit with their significant others and their families ... makes things alot easier

• Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a sweetheart table as well, so the wedding party can sit with their SO's
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Jessica! Smiley heart I'm so happy to read you in here! I think you already got great feedback, let us know what you decide! Smiley smile Have you thought of any activities you'd like to have for the kids? iI thought you might like these, they're super sweet:

5 dessert ideas for the kids

9 ideas to entertain kids at your wedding

Will you have a kids table?

How many kids will come to your wedding? Smiley smile

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that's a fine idea. We're doing a sweetheart table (just FH and I), this way I sat my wedding party with circles of friends they'd be most comfortable with and FH and I can have a little time to ourselves
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the same... Bridal party will sit with their families and a few bachelor friends of mine who are helping with the wedding and his son will sit with us.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think your solution will work very well! I'm sure your bridal party will appreciate your consideration
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My head table is going to be myself and my fiancé. It is not logical for us to have a head table as all our wedding party has significant others.
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jessica! I think that's a great idea and it sounds like it would work best for your needs! We had an uneven wedding party and wanted them to be able to sit with their significant others and family so we did a sweetheart table for just the two of us and then did two "family tables" on either side of us, so the wedding party was still close. My husband's Best Man was able to sit with his wife and son and we were able to put other close family members at the tables too like our moms and my husband's grandma. I hadn't thought we would do a sweetheart table but it worked out well! We had a lot of people come up and talk to us during dinner too which was a great way to visit and since it was just a small table, they could easily get to us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics