Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2018 Ontario

Seating Charts

Stephanie, on January 27, 2018 at 12:39 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8
Has anyone not done a seating chart? And just let the guests pick their own seats? Or even make a partial seating chart for family. If so how was the experience, or is better to make a seating chart

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 30, 2018 at 19:42
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did put a seating chart since i wanted to mix up the families and friends mixed with others to mingle. End of the dinner, everyone will be moving around so it isn't a big deal.

Everyone enjoyed themselves and had 2 grumpy guests giving attitude on 2 tables. I wasn't surprised about it.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Two of my cousins skipped the seating chart--but they didn't have a dinner reception just appetizers, so people got up often to get more food.

They also didn't have a formal reception as far as speeches etc. so there wasn't a "front" of the reception hall. It worked for them not having a seating chart since it was so casual. There was also enough seating that "groups" of people were able to seat together. They had lots of empty spaces, but it was nice because her family, extended family could sit together, so could his, and their friends etc.

I think if you are doing a more formal reception, reserving tables for parents/siblings, photographers, MC, others involved in the wedding would be beneficial and everyone else can find seats where they want.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a seating chart that was just telling people which table they were at and they could pick their seat themselves. I don't think people will mind finding their own seats but there is less chance of different people mingling if they have to choose for themselves.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was thinking of doing a seat yourself thing. But having reserved tables for specific family members and friends.
    Having both our immediate families reserved, and our wedding parties significant others reserved too. Then everyone else can seat them selves.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have very long rectangular tables at the venue, but we'll still be making a seating chart, to facilitate it all.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have some awkward family dynamics going on, so it was best for us to make a seating chart. I actually enjoyed doing it and seating people that didnt know each other together because of similiar interests and hobbies. we both have people on our sides that extremely dislike others, and it just made me calmer to have them seperated for at least the dinner. I have been to many weddings, that had signs saying "now that we are married we are all family, so pick a seat and not a side" and it worked well.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to weddings who have done it all differently. I'm doing a seating chart, but really just to say what table you're at.. once you're at the table, sit whereever you want, there's no place cards.

I did go to a wedding where there was no seating plan at all. The person and I went with didn't know anyone else and people ended up taking chairs from the table we were sitting at, and moved them to other tables where they knew people! It was really really uncomfortable.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to my sister in laws wedding where the tables were really long and only the family was seated and honestly, people couldn’t figure out the number of chairs at the table and whether they were at the right table and I heard a lot of people being really rude about it! I honestly said something to them about the complaining but all I remember when I think about that is how I will definitely be doing a seating chart. There’s pros and cons to both but sometimes for organizations sake it’s better to make one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics