Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Keena
Curious July 2018 Ontario

Seating

Keena, on June 25, 2018 at 11:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17
We are not having a dinner ... Instead a late night lunch .. Also getting married at a hotel where the round tables will already be set up and people will be seated there.. Only certain family members will be on chairs closer to the ceremony.. We have reserved seating for the family tables only... Do you think we should have a seating plan for everyone .? I just though for them to sit wherever ... Mingle get to know people ..

17 Comments

Latest activity by Joey, on July 5, 2018 at 13:15
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope the chart is coming along well! The WeddingWire Seating Chart tool will let you set the shape and size of your tables, use your WW guest list to ensure you don't miss anyone, and will let you print the finished plan out so your venue can set things up how you wish!

Another way to easily try different options is by drawing a rough outline of what your room set up will be, and using colored sticky tabs to move guests around.

We also have great etiquette ideas and advice on How to Create Your Wedding Seating Plan and 5 Ways to Make an Awesome Reception Seating Plan.

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I would still assign the guests a table, even if you aren't hosting a dinner. Are you having drinks or anything? Is this a completely no-food wedding? I guess I don't understand the term "late night lunch". To me that indicates you are still having food, albeit lighter fare.

Either way, I'd still have a table assigned. At the end of the day, you do whatever you want, it is your wedding, but to avoid confusion, or to avoid having a single person, or two people at a table (think high school all over again), I would just assign tables and be done with it.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree witht he other brides, i really think you need to assign table numbers, since people like the idea of just knowing where to go. Plus what if more people want to seat together so they just move chair from another table then that table is uneven, just too much to chance. You would think it's common sense but not so much.

• Keena
    Keena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So even without a dinner you say assigned table numbers then ? Thats the only reason why I didnt do it because we’re not having a dinner ..
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that assigning people a table number, and letting them figure out who sits where is fine. People will be getting up and mingling with other people anyway, I'd imagine, so I wouldn't worry about people not mingling. I think if you left everyone to find their own table/space, things may be unbalanced or more difficult for your guests. I say do half the work for them - give them a table # and let them do the rest. Smiley smile

• Keena
    Keena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Help would be appreciated... I haven’t started one yet and I’m getting married July 7th .. I’m going to try a rough draft tonight
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would always recommend assigning tables for any reception. Guests will want to put their things down somewhere safe, they will want to sit at some point even if that is just to eat cake or to rest their feet, and they'll likely want to sit for speeches. If I attended a wedding and saw some people were assigned tables I'd be scrambling to find where I was supposed to be, thinking I'd missed the instructions. Guest will absolutely mingle during your reception, even if they have a table assignment, and table assignments will help guests get seated faster and will ensure families stay together - it's a win for everyone. If you need any help making the table plan let us know, it's easier than you'd think!

• Keena
    Keena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes table seating I guess is what I meant ... So the ceremony and reception is in one location. We’re not having a dinner .. Right after ceremony is hors d ouerves then when wedding party comes back from pictures .. A few speeches then cutting of cake and dance starts.. That’s why I’m unsure if assigned tables is really necessary..
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm with Bianca, I'm super organized so I need to have a seating chart to satisfy my inner OCD.

Buuuut, what about just assigning tables ratherthan actual seats? I am purposely assigning each table with part my family, part his family, wtx. Thatway we can force comingling, as we want everyone to get to know each other! I know seats will change throughout the night, but during dinner and the course of the main reception we want everyone to chat amongst themselves and meet new people
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It would the arrangement look complete as your doing for family. Half seated and half not seated would feel awkward not knowing where I'm sitting. When all is done, then mingling is fine.
  • Keena
    Keena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You think we should have one even if we’re not having a dinner .. ?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Seating chart is the way to have your guests to know they will have dinner and drinks while getting to kniw the other guests.

Keep in mind that everyone will be either dancing or moving around to talk to others when the party starts or at the bar. Its just done at every wedding I have attended.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it’s more casual, you can get away without a seating plan.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! But just by the table number.

If not you may end up with a few people who don’t “know where to sit” or end up with people pulling up chairs wherever they want instead of keeping the tables to even numbers. It makes it more difficult on your guests in the end. Especially when your down the last few seats and people need to try and find which tables still have a seat left at them. It can also lead to families or couples not finding seats together.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think guests appreciate seating charts. Honestly, I have been going back and forth on our seating chart, to make sure everyone would be comfortable at their tables, families get to sit together, and important people are closer to the action.

It takes away the guess work, and guests really do appreciate being given the direction. Takes away confusion, and also the awkwardness of not knowing where to go, where to sit, who to sit with, etc.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would support the seating chart option. When people are left to themselves they may leave open seats that won't get filled or they may even be a table with 2 spots open and a family of 3 will have to be broken up. Just better to avoid any confusion.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm team seating chart just because I like things to be organized. I think without one, it provides the oppourtunity for people to move chairs (in order to fit more people around a table), families to be split up, and feelings to potentially get hurt. That's worst-case scenario probably lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics