Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Breanna
Curious October 2019 Newfoundland and Labrador

Save the dates

Breanna, on December 28, 2017 at 14:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
Whats everyones input on save the dates?
Everyone seems to send them before the real invitation but I'm wondering if it's a big thing. Im looking to save money so I like the idea of just invitations? Maybe using the website that can be made here as a helpful tool.
Any other ideas then just sending out save the dates?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 7, 2018 at 21:57
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Email for save the date oppose to mailing. Actual invitations can be the same ir sent out by mail.
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are sending out Save-the-dates for two reasons:

1) We are getting married on a popular day in August and want people to know well in advance

2) We are having a kid free wedding and I am going to include a hand written note in the envelopes for those who have children so they have lots of notice.

If we were having an all inclusive wedding during a quieter time I likely would only do invites. I am sending them out by mail because who doesn't love to get something that isn't a bill Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent our save the dates via e-mail. They are just a heads up warning to everyone that an invitation for an event on a specific day is coming their way so no need to get something printed and pay postage.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Hj, it's a curtesy to your out-of-town guests. Also, if you are thinking of going paperless (email invites), keep in mind your guest list's demographic. Your 85-yo great aunt might not have access to the emailed save the date.

• H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They're useful if you have people who will be traveling from far away, who might need more notice than they'd get from an invitation in order to arrange time away from work, flights, etc. Other than that, they're completely unnecessary.

• Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I thought about email too!! Its more convenient
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing email save the dates. Just so people have make sure they are available for sure that day. We don't see the point in mailing and spending more money then we have to.
  • Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow great idea!!!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only did save the dates because we will be having lots of guests coming from across the country and wanted to give them ample time to book the time off and save up for flights. I refuse to pay for things like that though so i just found a cute picture of us, photoshopped a date onto it and emailed it to everyone! Worked really well!

• Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great idea!!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent out save the dates to our family and friends who travel frequently just as a heads up on what date our wedding was so they didn’t book anything over it. Other than those few people we are only doing invites.
  • Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I may look into the electronic save the dates!! Great especially where im having a small wedding
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They can definitely be helpful for out of town people or people who may have no idea they are invited to the wedding. But to save on the paper and money i like the ideas of electronic save the dates!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're welcome! Always glad to be able to share my experiences!

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not a problem Smiley smile

• Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow thats perfect! Thank you so much
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We used paperlesspost.com We chose a free design. We still had to pay to e-mail them to people, but I think it was about $20 we paid. You can see who has viewed the invite. People can RSVP through that e-mail as well (we didn't do that for the save the dates though). There is also a place where people can leave you messages.

When you open the e-mail, the invite comes in a little envelope and it "opens" so you can view the invite/save the date.

We actually decided to use it for our invitations as well!

• Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's really smart!! How did you go about the electronic way??
  • Breanna
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree its definitely more money and paper! Most family lives here not from away so it seems like there are better options! Thanks !!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did electronic save the dates, so it saved a bunch of money. We wanted them because of the amount of out of town guests we were inviting.

But, I hadn't heard of save the dates until a few years ago. The weddings I had been invited to (until my cousin's five years ago) just sent the invitation.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think they are worth it if you have a lot of out of town guests coming in. We didn't bother with it as we just verbally told people when the wedding was and I created a facebook group to collect addresses which served as a Save the Date instead. It's just more money and more paper to deal with in my opinion.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics