Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Devoted October 2018 Ontario

Rsvps - Shower and Wedding

Sara, on July 24, 2018 at 13:47 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16

So this is half vent/half question. How long after you sent your invites did your guests RSVP?

All my wedding invites were sent 3 weeks ago, with the deadline being August 31 (we have a lot of out of town ones). I know almost all my guests have received them, we've been asking. But like 3 people have RSVP'd and it's driving me insane.

Not only that, but my aunt who is planning my Bridal Shower says no one has RSVP'd to her either and that event in in 3 weeks.

Should I say something? Should my aunt say something?

I'm very much not a wait twiddling my thumbs kind of person, and this whole waiting on other people is stressing me out...

16 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on August 7, 2018 at 10:25
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wait a little longer, closer to the R.S.V.P. deadline and either reach out to them or have your aunt do so.

• Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is super exciting to send out the invites, and kind of a bummer when people wait so long to RSVP, I forgot to put a RSVP date on my invites, so I put one on the website. So far we are just waiting for 45 people to RSVP and my new due date is Sept 1. As for my shower, I didn't do invites, just a facebook page and personal calls/texts. My shower was a last minute idea, and my bridemaids are quite busy so I've done most of the planning

• Michelle
    Newbie February 2023 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To relieve some of the anxiety of waiting for the RSVP's, I called or messaged each person it was sent to to confirm that they received their invites and didn't get lost in the mail. I'm very glad I did this as some had moved since they'd given me their address or had not received them at all! This also reminds them that the RSVP date may be approaching without being too pushy before the due date. Once the due date hits, I was definitely more aggressive.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wait until after your RSVP deadline before following up with any of your guest!

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have over a month until your RSVP deadline. So no you shouldn’t bug people about it. They still have plenty of time. Honestly I don’t think you should bother anyone until after that date.

Your aunt should follow up with the invites to the shower. Did she give an RSVP by date? If so again she should wait until then.

If someone started bugging before that date I would just be wondering why they even bothered giving a deadline. And yes it’s normal for people to wait until close to the d some. If you wanted a response sooner you should have given an earlier date. People can’t read your mind.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent my invites out 4 months early so I would have lots of time to chase people lol. I sent mine a week ago, and I know most of the local people got it, but only one of my friends RSVP'd. Maybe set a date for yourself, a week before your August 31st date. Then sit with your FH and call/email everyone one by one until you have all your responses Smiley smile

I think a lot of guests just assume that you know they're coming, because your close friends or family, but they need to remember that you are planning the biggest event you're probably ever going to have to plan, and can't keep tabs on everyone's lives! Goodluck!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re still waiting for around 100 rsvps for our wedding and the rsvp date is August 1st. It’s definitely frustrating! We sent out a reminder on Facebook last week and shared our wedding website. It helped since we were still waiting for 190 but still so many left! We will most likely send out another reminder this week and start reaching out individually.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    An email should be followed towards the end and making sure everyone is aware and the same with your aunt for the shower.

Always be on top of your game to ensure the guest count is tracked.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would follow up on the invites for the shower. As for the wedding most of the ones I've seen give 3 months to rsvp so this is what we are doing for ours. We will send them out late October and have asked people to respond by January 15. This way I can track down the people who don't respond by the deadline and still have plenty of time before my wedding in May to get their response Smiley tongue
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your aunt should follow-up with those invited to your shower; since she is hosting it, she should follow up.

As for wedding RSVPs, I found most people waited until the end. I did send out reminder emails after the deadline passed, which most people only needed one email to then reply!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We started receiving RSVPs the day after we sent the invites, but most people waited until the last month or even the last week before the deadline. And in the end we only had to contact a handful of people who hadn't answered.

Wait until the deadline before asking for answers. If you still have very few RSVPs, you could send a nice reminder that the deadline is August 31 a couple weeks, without requesting an immediate answer.

As for the shower, let your aunt deal with it. She can ask for answers or send reminders herself.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s frustrating but you have to take a breath and just wait. You set a deadline and have to give people till then to reply. My deadline is mid August and we are still waiting on over 150 replies. I found it helps to put it in another context: what if you had a deadline for work and your boss starts pestering you for you to get it in a month before as if your late with it? You’d probably say “don’t worry and I’ll have it done by the deadline” and be really annoyed with them. Or at least I would be.

As for the shower you have to leave it to the host. Your aunt can start to reach out to people and send a reminder to RSVP. Or just call and check with people but I would suggest you try to stay hands off when it comes to the shower. If she’s hosting the event it might create confusion and lead to guests going to you for details and information instead of the person they are supposed to.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Rsvps are annoying. Only got a few from my guests and had to check in on people. Keep in mind people forget and things can get lost in the mail. A few of my guests hadn't even received the invitations. So you do have to check in with people. If you don't want to get a friend to help with this
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Soooo I would say (slightly hypocritically because I'd be having the same reaction)... just breathe! You just said it... you gave them a deadline of August 31... Until August 30th... I'd try and let it go as much as you can.

We put a RSVP deadline of Sept 1 for my Sept 8th shower, and those invites will go out tomorrow, so we'll see how quickly people respond.

The wedding invites will go out beginning of October, with a December 31 deadline (Jan 19 wedding)... so it gives me a couple weeks after the holidays to track down any missing people (our venue needs final numbers 72 hours in advance).

I know it's hard... but people procrastinate. It's just what they do. Also, although planning the wedding seems like such a HUGE part of our lives right now... we need to remember it's not the same boat for our guests. They get busy, they have lives, they forget... They figure if they get the RSVP in by Aug 31 they've done good... Even if it drives us nuts!

Good luck!

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You sound like FH haha

That's what he tells me, to chill and let it go by. that those that don't rsvp by the due date to then call and ask them to.

I guess I'm just impatient

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have yet to even send out my Save the dates but I am with you on this one! No way would I be able to sit still. I would say that for the Shower I would call people at the 2 week to day mark but it depends on how many people you invited - if there are only 30 people invited then wait till 2 weeks but if more then start now. As for the wedding invitations I would wait until August 31st. I am also aggressive though so when I call about that I will tell them they need an answer otherwise they are not coming Smiley smile I'm a delight I swear! (For sure give them until the 31st IMO because otherwise it seems like jumping the gun.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics