Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

RSVPs - mailed, online, or other?

Joey, on December 20, 2017 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Let's talk about RSVPs.

The mailed RSVP is traditional. It's formal, and it's expected. People know what to do with a paper RSVP. But paper RSVPs mean more postage cost, addressing a whole second set of envelopes, counting on your guests to remember to mail them back, and trusting that they won't get lost somewhere along the way.

Online RSVPs are becoming very common. Nothing can get lost, sites like WeddingWire (shameless self promotion!!) offer this option for free right through the wedding website, and of course they are very fast. But, not everyone is computer savvy.

Some couples opt for a combination of online and post, but that doesn't always cut down on your costs and it's more hard work for you to keep your guest list in order when replies are coming from different sources.

What to do?! How will you be asking your guests to RSVP, and why did you choose this?

RSVPs - mailed, online, or other? 1

Photo by Iris Art Craft in Vancouver

13 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 3, 2018 at 12:58
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Online and email rsvp are now common based on the way technology is taking over postage. Its something to track easier electonically.
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing on-line RSVP. For the most part everyone is tech savy and I find it much more efficient and convenient, for me and the guests.

• Anastasia
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Anastasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm a HUGE stationary lover so I will be mailing them. Costco sells packs of 100 stamps (as long as they're being mailed domestically). But to save on costs, I'll be combining the invitation and RSVP (thinking perforated RSVP card, postcard style) because I don't see the point in having them separated.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what I was considering. Mostly online then a few just for the elderly guests that like you said aren't tech savvy!
  • Stephanie
    Curious August 2018 Nova Scotia
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing mostly online, except we are printing a few RSVPs for the elders who may not be as tech savvy!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing online! Much easier and more convenient.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been considering online, to save paper mostly. However I do love the idea of paper invitations. For our save the dates we are 100% doing that online! But still undecided on the invitations at the moment.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Online! I wanna save paper. I’m sure we’ll receive texts too.
  • Alexis
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure where I stand with all of this yet - Although some family is computer savvy, not everyone is, or would I think that they would complete an RSVP. I think more are familiar with letters and it would drive me crazy to keep records in two different places.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did online. We didn't want any RSVPs getting lost in the mail and we could easily send out reminder emails with a direct link to the RSVP page.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing online RSVPs. We decided to do online invitations as well. It cuts down on cost, but also, most of my friends don't keep wedding invites so it just seems like a waste of money to us. The site we use for our invites allows people to RSVP and we will also have that option on our wedding website.

We wanted it on our website, because there will be other info there for our guests (particularly our out-of-town guests who will need to know where to stay and things to do in the city while they are here). We will also have our registry info just on the website, so we want people to go there and see the info.

All of our guests have e-mail (and most have some form of social media as well), so we think they will be able to reply online. If not, we will be making phone calls.

We haven't sent out our invitations yet; thinking about having people respond by May for our July wedding.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We opted for RSVPs on our wedding website. For those who were not computer savvy, which was very few people, we added them to our actual guest list ourselves once we had spoken with them.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both mothers suggested we do traditional paper RSVPs for everyone so we did, however we found a lot of our friends didn't understand the concept of mailing a letter or we didn't receive replies because we received text messages saying yes or no that they were attending.

The whole RSVP process was beyond stressful for us as we had family members replying 1 month after the RSVP date! Grrrr

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics