Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Devoted June 2019 Ontario

Questions on tipping

JuneBride, on May 17, 2018 at 18:21 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
I figured out who we don't need to tip and who we should. Im just unsure on some stuff.

My venue has a 20% gratuity added to the bill so the bartenders and waiter's and cooks are taken care of. I know with the MUA you tip 20% of what the amount is, but I'm wondering if that is also the case with the limo driver. Is it 20% of what the bill is or is it a certain amount?

If the DJ is not the owner what amount do we tip him? What about the 2nd photographer and videographer? Do we tip them and not him since he is the owner or do we not tip the assistants if we aren't going to tip the owner because it will be rude? Also what amount do we tip?

A lot of people we talked said they only tipped the MUA and Limo driver. They never tipped the DJ, photographers and videographer.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 19, 2018 at 09:59
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't need to pay the vendors unless they go out more than their services. Personally i gave a thank you card to them all over cash. Their services are paid for the day of event.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A local wedding FB group I'm part of asked a similar question, and a lot of wedding professionals (photographers, make up artists, etc.) all chimed in and said they didn't expect any tipping for their services, as that is why the set their prices the way they do. Most of them advised they enjoy personal gifts/thoughtful notes more than a tip.

Maybe I'm not in the norm, but I'm paying for your services, I don't feel I should have to tip. Especially for how much you pay for their wedding services. I suppose the exception would be the catering/food (I don't think that our venue had built in gratuity).

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The general rule for service is 10-15% of the final bill BEFORE tax. E.g. my photographer is $2000 before tax, so I should tip her $200. If you have 2 photographers, but are still paying $2000, it would be $100/person. Of course you can do less when the numbers start to get too big.

You're right, if they are the owner, don't tip, but if they are party of a service company you should totally be tipping...a
    Even for the dj and photographers. I used to work in event service as a performer, and a tip is highly appreciated Smiley smile
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I did about $100 for the DJ and 2nd photographer and $150 for the main photographer. It wasn't really a specific percent for any of them, just something we wanted to add.

• J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How much did you tip your DJ and Photographers?
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tipped my MUA and Hairstylist about 15%, which is what I would normally tip at a salon. The venue covered gratuities (20%) in our bill and so did the limo driver (they did 20% as well, but double check it's not already included). We also tipped our DJ because he was amazing, but I wasn't going to at first, it was a last minute addition at the end of the night. We did tip our photographer and 2nd, but they charged so little, to begin with, we were more than happy to add a tip for them.

Among those who have gotten married in my group, I was told it isn't necessary though if they own the studio/business, and I wouldn't tip a 2nd if I didn't tip the main photographer, or split it among both of them so they each get something.

We got our baker a small gift as well, rather than cash since it was a close friend.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey JuneBride! From my research, I’ve figured out that it depends on if the individual providing the service is the owner of the company or an employee of the company. If they’re Sally from Sally’s DJ Company, then you don’t tip her, but if it’s Sally from Big DJ Company, then you tip her.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oooh, I need to follow this discussion because I have the sameness questions. Actually I didn’t even know you didn’t need to tip people if they were the owner!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics