Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gina
Super April 2019 Alberta

Question for those who have already had their wedding!

Gina, on August 9, 2018 at 17:41 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
I’m curious to hear from the people who are now married (or who have been married before) My questions are
Is there anything you wish you would have spent more on? What about things you wish you would have spent less on? Anything about your day you regret? Or anything unique about your day you’re glad you did?
It seems like when you’re planning your wedding, everything is important! Lol. But I know people don’t always feel that way after.
Thanks everyone for your input!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on August 10, 2018 at 17:42
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you and yes it is hard to keep everyone happy and never spoke to that friend in town after that.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Food, venue and photographer are our top 3 too! We definitely have to be mindful about what we bring! We will be arriving at the hotel on Tuesday, Wedding is on Thursday then we leave Sunday. So I definitely think you’re right about real flowers. They likely won’t be feasible because I don’t want to haul them all there and try and keep them alive for the duration of the trip haha. I love the idea of sending individual photos with guests! That’s such a wonderful idea! And the notes idea for each holiday is beautiful. It’s a great way to let the wedding live on for awhile. Thank you for the advice!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your wedding was beautiful. I love the centre pieces! I also absolutely love that you combined traditions from you and your husband! That to me is so important. It’s great that you don’t feel like you over spent or under spent on anything! I’m sorry your husband invited someone you didn’t want there, I would have been pretty upset too in your shoes. I think we all fear extra people showing up at our wedding, it can really throw things off. All in all it sounds like your wedding was a huge success!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Advice we were given was pick your top three and spend the most money there. For us, that was food, venue, photographer. So, I don’t wish I had spent more anywhere else.

Spend less on floral centrepieces. I love real flowers, don’t regret having flowers on the arch or bouquets, but the centrepieces. We used potted plants, which are a bit hardier, and they were our favours, so most were gone, but the ones that were left were dead by the time we got back from our honeymoon. My friend spent hours making bouquets from Costco for their centrepieces, they went on their honeymoon right away, half the bridal party was from out of town, so I took them all to my work to give out to clients. It was nice for them, but I say non-floral centrepieces are a better option. Unless you aren’t going on your honeymoon right away and can enjoy the flowers yourself!

I don’t regret anything, it wasn’t perfect but it was my wedding and the most important thing is we got married.

Unique I would say we took group photos with all our guests (and will be giving everyone a copy with the thank you cards). And I had put a basket with pens and something related to a holiday on each table for people to leave us notes or date ideas and we will read them on that holiday during our first year or marriage.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 1

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 2

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 3

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 4

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 5

These are pictures from our wedding and very happy with everything and wouldn't change a thing except the videographer for sure. His work put together seemed ok not great.

Here are some of the things in the pictures showing:

A. Reception set up and view when you enter the venue.

B. Cake and centerpieces rented looking very simple.

C. Invitations, Thank You cards, Menu cards from Vistaprint site.

D. Rental backdrop modern style.

E. Nature part of the venue

F. Ceremony site held on a stone level facing the water view. (Bottom)

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 6

what would I have spend more on? Nothing and would leave it at that.

What would I spend less on? Everything was on budget

Anything I regret on the day? My husband inviting someone that wasn't supposed to be there and our friend being there with his boyfriend and mother the last minute not giving anything even cash.

Unique? Having to wear Indian traditional clothing for a civil marriage.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely agree that food and drink are so important! The hotel we are staying at and doing the wedding has amazing food, so we knew right away that we wouldn’t have to worry on that aspect. As for the photographer, yeah. LOL we spent alot on a photographer, but we are going to do a bunch of family pictures and friend pictures because will be out in the mountains, so I’m really hoping we will have some amazing photos after. Because you’re right, that’s a lot of money for one photo to hang ha ha. The flower thing to always gets me. They die so fast and I don’t remember peoples bouquets. Heck I don’t even remember my bouquets from when I was a bridesmaid all those times. Thanks for your input. I love hearing how people feel after the fact! It helps guide me through the planning process, to help lower any regret LOL
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for answering! I love your table set up. I already purchased my dress and I can already see why you would say that. I look at it hanging in my closet and think wow, I’m only going to wear that for eight hours ha ha. Too late now on that front I guess LOL. I love your centerpieces as well. I agree with the bouquets well we are we are getting married they want over $300 just for my bouquet. I can’t justify it. Maybe I’ll just make my own with fake flowers. Thank you so much for the advice
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lessons I learnt from my first wedding. Things I regret spending a lot of money on and won’t be this time:

photographer: yes everyone wants some nice pictures but in reality we had one portrait hanging on the wall and the albums were never looked at. We spent $1500 on a photographer which is cheap compared to what they charge now. That’s one expensive portrait

flowers: in the end nobody cared about my expensive rose bouquets. This time I’m going for much cheaper fake ones.

Transportation: really the amoint we spent on limos was ridiculous and not worth it.

Things i’m glad we spent the money on:

good food!

good drinks!

A good DJ!

I’m also glad for my first wedding we didn’t spend a lot of extra money on decor (place was nice without much) and favours.

For this wedding we are focusing on you guessed it the food and the drinks and the music.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is there anything you wish you would have spent more on?
    -decorations for more diy

What about things you wish you would have spent less on?
    - the dress because now I'm just cleaning and storing it.

Anything about your day you regret?
    -scheduling the preparation better. The last few days were hectic for all of us
    - my bouquet and boutonniere weren't worth it. The flowers were wilted and the stems were brown from being there a week or more. Would have been better off making my own

Or anything unique about your day you’re glad you did?
    -very happy with our table set up

Otherwise it was super hot and it made photos uncomfortable. Glad I kept it simple.

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 7

Question for those who have already had their wedding! 8

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics