Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
Expert June 2019 Ontario

Proposals

Holly, on December 26, 2017 at 20:47 Posted in Before the wedding 0 42
So all over social media there are people posting their Christmas engagements, and that had me wondering about everyone's proposal stories.

Heres mine: June 18, 2017 at MacGregor Provincial Park in Port Elgin, Ontario. We were camping for our 1 year anniversary, the day before our anniversary he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife! He told me he was going to "check on the ice in the car" but really he went and got the ring and when I came out of the tent there he was.

Were you surprised or did you expect it? Did you cry?

Just feeling curious today, hope you will all share!

42 Comments

Latest activity by Breanne, on February 13, 2018 at 16:43
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dave and I had been together for 4 years and in the last year had been saving up to go to England for two weeks. We had been in London for a week and although we were having an amazing time, I wanted to go to Glasgow for a few days because my family is Scottish.

In Scotland at Balloch Castle overlooking Loch Lomond, near the home of my ancestors, sitting on a dedicated bench with my last name on it, the man who stole my heart asked for my hand as well. We were completely alone at a castle with no one else in sight, I couldn't imagine anything more incredibly romantic and idyllic - the fairytale moment was perfect and it was ours.

Proposals 1

• Sheena
    Newbie November 2019 Baja California Sur
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went to Orange is the New Pink at the Jubilations Dinner Theatre for our 7th anniversary (we had done Jubilations for our 6th anniversary too and it was so much fun!). At one part in the show, they ask any couples to come up that are celebrating anniversaries and he made me go up. They went down the line asking names and how long the couples had been together. Than he took the mic and said he had something to ask me, I turned to look at him and he was down on one knee. I was completely taken by surprise! I was not expecting it at all! My friend and her husband were with us (and knew all about it for months before) and video taped the entire thing!

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He proposed with our pups. He got dog tags made with a message and after we finished breakfast he let them inside and they were wearing the tags with the ring. I definitely ugly cried and it was the best moment of my life!

Proposals 2

Proposals 3
  • Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He proposed July 29, 2017 which was our 4 year anniversary. We went camping for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary but I had no idea that he had bought the ring and was going to propose! We had an amazing day, we went zip lining, rented SUPs and then went mini-golfing. He got a hole in one on the third hole (if that makes sense) and when he bent down to get his golf ball he pulled out the ring! I couldn't believe it! I actually said, "Are you kidding me?!" And then I said yes. Before the round of mini-golf we had said that loser would buy ice cream, and after that I couldn't concentrate on my mini-golf game obviously so he won haha.
  • Zhanelle
    Beginner August 2018 Ontario
    Zhanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH told me he was going to propose, I had no idea when and where but I knew. I didn't cry though, it was Christmas Eve 2015 and it was freezing cold outside and we were on a lake, it was way too cold for my eyes to even tear up! Smiley laugh

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours was random and very 'us'. He worked a half day on a Saturday in June of 2016 and then came home and asked me to help him out with yard work. He had me pulling weeds and driving the riding lawn mower (which I'm horrible at!). When we finished, we were smelly and covered in dirt when he said he had a surprise for me and to go into his truck and look behind his seat (I always told him that his truck was the only safe hiding place because he would be able to catch me if I went snooping since I never really have a reason to be in there alone and he doesn't do that sort of thing often, so I thought it would be a ring!). It was a bottle of my favourite wine and for a second I was a little let down. Then he told me he had ANOTHER surprise that was hiding in his office, so I ran up there and found a little burgundy bag. I was told not to open it until I got back outside and at that point, I KNEW what was happening. I opened it and saw my ring and just busted out crying. He got down on one knee and popped the question and then popped the wine cork!

I didn't see it coming at all, but I get all misty every time I think about it!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

December 25, 2016

My now husband gave me a Christmas card as my last gift and there was a sticky note in it that was the first clue of a treasure hunt. He sent me all around our apartment to find these sticky notes in various places and the last one was under a statue in the corner of the living room. To get it I was facing the corner with my back to the room and when I turned around he was on one knee in the middle of the living room. Totally took me off guard! Never saw it coming lol. He just kind of looked at me all choked up and held out the ring box closer to me with a shrug of his shoulder. I nodded but then said "are you serious?!" and he laughed and said "well, yes and I need an answer". I said yes of course and then couldn't stop crying lol.

• T
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Tanisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats everyone on their engagement!
    My partner definitely surprised me with this one, I was pretty convinced that he would not propose on any sort of holiday because he always said he wouldn’t.

New Years Eve, we decided to have all of our closest friends over to celebrate. Brett has made the event semi-formal so we were all looking pretty great. At 12, we had our New Years kiss and just a minute later he started clanging his glass preparing to make a toast. At first, I had no idea what he was doing, until he started talking about the friend who introduced us. He got down on one knee, and asked me to marry him.

The smart man even knew to ask friends to record it, so that I would be able to watch it afterwards Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's adorable!!! Ha! Love it!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • Veronique
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Veronique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    December 19, 2007

He took me out to "bright nights" in Edmonton (beautiful Christmas lights) and once we were done driving through it all he pulled over and got really nervous, was shaking and threw the box into my hands! Hahaha I opened it and couldn't speak, he then managed to get the words "will you marry me please" with a very shaky tone. He is not a romantic and I'm ok with that, it was perfect, that was the last year bright nights operated too. Started planning the wedding and then ended up being pregnant, so we postponed, now here we are 10 years later, finally going to make it official. Our son has been asking for us to get married since he could talk lol.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s definitely my favourite proposal but I think I’m biased! Smiley tongue
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were visiting my family in Europe and the last day he wrote a letter to thank my family for their hospitality. However halfway through the letter starting talking about me and our relationship and the last line was “for now and forever I am asking you, will you marry me?” And then I was sobbing for like half hour. Like ugly crying.
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is adorable! Definitely one of my favorite proposals yet!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew it was coming at some point. But he picked me up from work and we were heading home. We were just talking in the car and how he stayed as cool as he did, I don’t know. We got home and I’m taking my shoes off and he calls me into the bedroom sounding worried so I’m freaking out thinking something’s wrong. I walk in and see one of those light up boards with “Will you marry me” on it, and he was on one knee. It was so sweet and it was just us he nailed picking the perfect ring for me.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's awesome! And that 100% sounds like something I would have done 😂
  • Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh boy..I almost wrecked mine and had no idea. I'd had a rough day at work and when I got home he had asked to grab a coffee and go for a drive. The weather was beautiful, sun was shining, mountains were all snowy...and I declined. Proceeded to mope around all grumpy through dinner. After dinner he placed it in my dessert, sweet and surprising as he served me my tart 😉 I was speechless...in shock for about an hour and then couldn't stop crying hahaha. It was very sweet and intimate, I hate being the centre of attention so if he had done it around people I would have been too overwhelmed. This was perfect for me, even though I was a grump!😅
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah getting the exact time is impressive! My fiance (before we got engaged) always said that when he proposed it was going to be a date and time of no significance so that it would be a surprise, he said especially not on our anniversary..well he was right..he did it the day before our anniversary lol
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was super cute, I’m actually surprised he remembered the time tbh, but yeah, it for sure cheered me up!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would have been terrified! Lol but that's so adorable. I never saw it as stealing away either because in the end no matter who proposes it was going to happen.
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha Aww! That's really cute too waiting exactly to the minute! And must have been such a surprise, that'd really cheer up the day!
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's wayy scary! That's super cute though that he was like uhm already having some ideas here. We did talk about it and sorta were like well~ whoever is first. Apparently he had been looking at rings and stuff for like a year and a half but never really planned anything though. I was a bit scared to "steal it away from him" but it wasn't the case at all (and as said in my previous message, he loved it and it couldn't have been better according to him ^^)
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww! That is so cute ❤️
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a really rough day at work so when I came home my (now fiancé) asked if I wanted to binge my favourite show (Forensic Files) because they just added a bunch of episodes to Netflix. After 3 hours he asked if I was feeling better and wanted to go to bed since it was midnight. We finished our episode and headed to bed, just before I turned out the light he got down on one knee and said “ I waited till 12:30am to ask you to be my girlfriend so I waited until 12:30am to ask you to be my wife”

I of course said yes! Smiley heart
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love that, so romantic! I considered proposing, I mentioned it to him maybe 3-4 months before he proposed and he told me he already had something planned, so automatically that cancelled my proposal lol but I've always loved the idea of the woman proposing!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is adorable! Omg!
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When we just got engaged I was slightly uncomfortable / scared to tell people that we did, because I asked him. (I am not anymore since we got so many great reactions to it)

He loved it (and got very emotional) and I knew he would like it a lot, which is the main reason why I wanted to ask him instead of the traditional way.

Long story short; I took him away for a surprise trip to Vancouver Island and we went and stayed at a super fancy place and went fossil hunting the next day (he loves fossils). Afterwards we went to a couple of different waterfalls and I proposed to him at Nymph Falls with a ring with fossil inlay and a card with a charm with coordinates in it of that place and the place we first kissed.
    It was super scary but he immediately said yes and loved everything about it
  • A
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always told him that I would love to get engaged on Christmas as it is my favourite time of the year ! We just had our first baby in October and then on Christmas eve night we were opening our stockings with my family, after we were done he walked over with a card and said “this is from Oliver” (our baby) I opened it and the card said “mommy, will you marry my daddy?” With boxes to check off , once I read it I looked up and he was standing there with the ring. I was shocked so didn’t cry but my family sure did !
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fiance and I were relaxing on his couch after a massage. He got up and left the room and when he came back, I somehow knew he had the ring. He just asked me and I almost cried (probably would have if he kept on talking!) He said he had wanted to do it differently but couldn't get my friends together. So, he figured the most important thing was that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. We had been talking marriage for over a year at this point, and already had our venue picked out so I knew it was coming at some point!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww that's cute! He did well to catch you by surprise!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so cute! My fiance was going to take me on a lighthouse tour they had going on and was going to do it at the top of the lighthouse but he changed his kind because he didn't think I would want other people to be there.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's so adorable! I love your story, it's very sweet and memorable.
  • Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were on vacation in the spring. Hiked down into the Grand Canyon and camped down there 3 nights! Such an amazing trip, but when he popped the question it really made it the trip of a life time. I knew it would happen soon, but didn’t expect it in the bottom of the Grand Canyon! So I was surprised, but not a cryer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics