Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Deborah
Newbie June 2022 Ontario

Postpone?

Deborah, on March 19, 2020 at 19:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 45
Hi Everyone! I’ve been trying to remain calm and hold out, but I’m getting worried. My wedding date is June 13. Should we postpone?

45 Comments

Latest activity by Beatriz, on May 5, 2020 at 14:27
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Mylena,

It is my understanding it was a small business.

Hope it helps,

Beatriz

• Dolphins
    British Columbia
    Dolphins ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello Beatriz,

Thank you for taking time to reply.

I'm glad to hear you were able to postpone your wedding, and I'm sure it will be wonderful anyway Smiley smile

concerning your sister, do you know if it's a big a small business where she should get married ?

I really appreciate your answer, Thank you

Mylena

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were supposed to be getting married June 27, 2020.... we postponed to September 25, 2021
  • J
    Beginner June 2020 Ontario
    Jv ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! We are trying, I don’t want to slam the venue here just yet, we are hoping they have an answer this week, if not I will definitely be complaining.
  • J
    Jv ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Did you have any issues with your venue postponing? Our venue is not being accommodating at all about moving our July 10 wedding.
  • Jeff
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Jeff ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our original wedding date was June 20 and we postponed till next year
  • Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our venue allowed us to postpone without any penalties, we do have a force majour clause in our contract so technically we could have pulled, but we like the venue. My sister that was getting married in BC was offered a full refund for her summer wedding. They don’t want the liability.
  • J
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah good luck!! My boyfriend's family lives in the Netherlands, looks like we are in the same boat.. crossing my fingers.
  • Zara
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here, on the 3rd! I am hoping that things will calm down as I have a huge party with guests coming from Europe as well.

• D
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Denyse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Natalie, I'm sorry to hear your venue is doing that. My venue has been very undertanding, My wedding was supposed to be May 17 2020 but we postpone till July 18th. After much consideration I contacted them the other day and was able to secure June 26 2021. Not what I wanted we have been planning since 2018 but I want my guess to be free to have fun and i dont see that with everyone having to be 6 feet a part. Plus im worried about a second wave, for me safty of my family and friends is more impotatnt at this time. Dont worry this will work out for you and you will have your dream wedding😊
  • Katie
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine is early October too...I'm not overly hopeful, but it would be nice if it worked out!

• J
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I live in Ontario and our wedding is planned for first weekend in October, I REALLY hope it works out...

• Geraldine
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Which venue are you booked with?

I'm sorry to hear that. I would keep pushing to postpone! When my venue didn't want to postpone yet, I kept asking until they ended up just telling me to postpone within 2020. I even tried to push for 2021 but they were only giving me January-February monday-thursday 2021 dates.

I understand that it's business. But this pandemic was out of anyone's control. -_-

• J
    Jv ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They aren’t even offering us later dates in 2020. They are moving weddings month by month and i understand that to an extent, but they haven’t even started moving June weddings yet. Smiley sad
  • Geraldine
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Natalie,

My venue was only accommodating postponing my wedding within 2020. They were not flexible to postpone to 2021... I wonder why they aren't postponing? Do they think things will be back to normal this summer?

• J
    Jv ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi! Was your venue very accommodating about postponing? We have had no luck with our venue to move our July date, it’s so frustrating
  • Kevin
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our date is October 24 and we have postponed until April! It's not worth the stress or worry waiting for us.

• Dolphins
    British Columbia
    Dolphins ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello,

I'm Mylena banquet Coordinator in a Resort in BC, and also in charge of wedding sales.

For
    spring weddings we offered to postpone to the same date in 2021 as our
    deposit is not refundable. We are patiently waiting from government to
    see if we will be able to host June, July and August weddings.

As
    you are Brides/wedding couple from all over Canada, I was wondering how
    your vendors and especially Venue did they deal with you and this
    situation ?

Did you have your deposit back ? Total or partial or not ?

Did they compromise?

Thank you very much for your answers
  • Jennifer
    Beginner June 2023 Quebec
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly, get a backup date from your vendors just as a plan B. You will feel so much better. Then if you decide to jump ship, you will already have a backup plan in place before all the dates get booked up.
  • Jennifer
    Beginner June 2023 Quebec
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg same boat as well. My wedding was supposed to be June 20th and we recently postponed to Oct 17th, but I’m also very worried that this date will have to be cancelled too. 😓😓😓honestly I’m so depressed by this whole thing. I’m gonna wait and see by July what happens.not sure I would want to postpone to 2021 or elope at this point.
  • Geraldine
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ashley,

What a coincidence. My wedding date is also June 20th and our venue has postponed us to September 20th. I am also concerned because it's not too far away. I've been stressed because my maid of honor and my photographer are from the U.S. Plus 25% of my guestlist are from out of town. I don't know what to do. Our venue is not really flexible with postponing to 2021... Smiley sad

• Deborah
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Us either. We had just picked up our invites right before this happened and we’ve been waiting to send them out. We will either send an email to everyone letting them know it’s been postponed or insert a little card with our invites with our new date (if we can figure out what that new date is soon). Something to consider for yourself, as well.
  • Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't even know what to do with our invites. Our wedding is supposed to be in August and before this all happened we planned to give out invites next month

• Deborah
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    🙁 it’s ok! It is what it is. We are definitely going to postpone, but we are waiting to hear back from our venue.
  • Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry Smiley sad

This COVID has put a pause on everyone's plans and goals!

I wanted to ask if you and your fiancé made the call or your venue reached out to you guys? And if you made the call, were you charged any fees or was your venue accomadating?

• K
    Beginner July 2020 British Columbia
    Krystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    July 25th in BC. We have postponed till 2021.
    Things won’t be better by then, we aren’t seeing improvement at all at this point. We aren’t going to just wake up one morning and everything be lifted and be able to have a wedding like nothing is going on. I recommend postponing now, because getting a date that will work with all your vendors is near impossible, and will only get more difficult as the time goes on! People have lost jobs and don’t have money to attend. People are sick and people are dying. I would feel terrible if someone got sick from attending our wedding.
    I have cried for a few days, as we have been together for 11 years and been planning for 2.5 years. We had plans to have a baby, buy a house etc. But obviously not happening at this point. Right now everyone just needs to stay healthy and happy.
  • K
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were June 20- but the city is closed. No licences until after June 30th....My reverend said Toronto had the same restriction- so you may want to check in on that. We just postponed ours yesterday to October....
  • A
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is such a tough question! Our original wedding date was June 20 but we decided to postpone. As much as it suckssss, I think it was the right call. Our new date is Sept 19, but a part of me is still concerned that it's not far enough out. I would start talking to your vendor's now to see what other arrangements can be made. One thing we all have to remember is that this is all out of our hands and you WILL get a wedding and you WILL marry the man of your dreams.

• Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were originally getting married in May and postponed to November.... although we are keeping are fingers crossed we don't think it will happen..... and If I am being honest I am a little heart broken. I am hoping for the best and will wait until a couple of months closer to the date but at this point we can't even get a marriage license in Toronto.

I would say start re-reading those contracts, then conversations with your vendors, and pick a date with your FH to have a decision by.

• Anah
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Anah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding was May 30th. We postponed a week ago to June 2021 as the rest of the dates this year were very slim pickings, and dates in 2021 were filling up. In Alberta they are predicting social distancing into the end of May. I’d say have a back up plan, as who knows if shops will even be open or fully running by June. If you need to rent groomsmen suits, you might want to check if they’d even be open for pick up or delivery, same with your flowers, hair & makeup etc. All the best, and know your are not alone.
  • Tanya
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! Our date is June 27 and we are waiting to see what happens for the next month. Our vendors have all been fabulous and have booked us in for a back up date in 2021 just in case it is needed. I am definitely feeling the stress though, especially with all the media coverage and you never know what is true or what has been taken out of context. My main thing is if we'll be able to get a marriage license in time with City Hall being closed and I am sure they will be back logged when they open. Such an uncertain time, but I'm trying to stay positive. Wish you and all the other brides right now the best!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to had to postpone and reschedule once already from May 02 to July 18, hoping I don't have to do that again. I have to say, it is a huge stress relief knowing that i have new date and even though it could still have to be altered it just feels good to know that i have bought myself more time and it was our decision rather than the week before getting told it's cancelled. If you are going to wait, be prepared to cut your guest list.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics