Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natasha
VIP August 2017 Ontario

Plus ones

Natasha, on November 14, 2016 at 10:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

I just had a put it out there question,....... How are all of you working your plus ones?

Are you just giving everyone a plus one ... even tho they are a serial dater and change partners more then their underware?

How are you working plus ones with your bridal party ? if they are married then yes of course plus one .... but what if they arent .. and are not in a serious relationship? do they get a plus one??

Just wondering how you all are dealing with this, as I know alot of the time it comes down to a number crunch.

Thanks Ladies ! Smiley heart

13 Comments

Latest activity by Cheryl, on December 6, 2016 at 14:37
  • Cheryl
    Expert December 2017 British Columbia
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We know certain people have plus ones and others don't need one. If it's someone neither of us know nor want to meet then we will kindly decline their plus one. If we would love them there, they are welcomed!
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a great idea, I am planning on applying the rule if I don't know your plus one and my mom doesn't know their name they aren't getting an invite. We are having primarily family and our venue is a little pricey to invite random people to the wedding just so someone doesn't have to attend alone.

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is a great Idea !

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will only give out +1 to guests who are married, in serious relationships, or we know their S/O.

I will however let my guest know that if they are interested in a +1 to directly contact me and I'll see if it is possible (waitlist). That's what my friend's friend did and I thought it was a great idea. Especially to keep people's feelings from getting hurt. I will TRY but no guarantees and my guest know it.Smiley tongue

But like everyone else here, yea I prefer not to have randoms

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh totally! The dates end up by themselves a lot of the day! You could also do a kings table or sweetheart table so dates of your wedding party don't have to sit alone. But I think I would leave it to the couple to decide. If the person I invited doesn't think their relationship is there yet, then they can choose to come by themselves. I just didn't want to decide how serious anyone's relationship was for them.
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just look at it , when you are in a wedding party your plus one ends up more then likely sitting at a table where they do not know anyways .. why would you want to make someone you arent in a serious relationship with go through that ?? lol just saying

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not MEAN, lots of people make rules like that. I just know it can end in hurt feelings. For example, FH started dating in March and in August his cousin was getting married and FH asked if he could bring me and was told no. He was REALLY upset about it, because by August we were already living together and very much in a serious relationship and having his cousin invalidate it by saying we weren't together long enough so it wasn't really serious just hurt his feelings a lot. She apologized to me up and down and I understood, but FH was upset for awhile after.

I get what you're saying about your sister though, I have the same issue with my youngest brother. Right now my plan is to invite his current girlfriend (by name) and if he's not dating her by the wedding then that's that... if you don't leave it open to a plus one where they get to choose it makes things a bit easier. Maybe just talk to her and tell her she can bring someone if she's dating them, but to please not just bring a friend for the fun of it. She'll have plenty of people she knows there!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

See I feel like I need to have a rule applied for my sister who is a royal pain in my ass ( she is one of my bridesmaids) becuase she doesnt do long term relationships and she will just bring a gf with her as her plus 1 just because she can ( because she literally is a giant pain in my ass) so this is why I am wanting to put the rule that you are only getting a plus one if you are in a serious relationship , lasting longer then 6 months ... ( but does this make me mean Smiley sad )

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If our guest is married or dating someone at the time we send out invites, their SO will be invied by name (we're not discriminating based on length of relationship, heck FH moved in together after 4 months! It's not for me to judge how serious their relationship is). I'm still debating my wedding party (though it's really just some of my siblings that aren't seeing anyone), but the only guests truly getting a plus one at this point are guests that wouldn't know anyone else.

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our budget allows for it, its honestly more of a personal thing I guess you could say, I would rather not have people there ( and pay for them) with whom I have never met in my life and probably will never see again as they will be broken up in a few months, or have someone bring a friend that I dont know just because they recieved a plus one ( when they already know everyone comming to our wedding) I would rather use all those extra spaces I would have to invite a couple or two that I couldnt fit due to number limits... did that make sense ?? Smiley atonished

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Natasha! Smiley heart That's a great point! I think that all depends on your budget, can you afford letting everyone get a plus one? I really like Chelsea and Melissa's ideas! They're great advice! You can also check out the feedback brides gave in these discussions for more ideas. The plus 1!!

Will you allow your guests to bring a +1?

What's your take on it? Do you think everyone would want to bring a +1? Smiley smile

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our "rule" is similar to Chelsea's- the only exception we will make for will be a few guests who are invited who will not know anyone else at the reception. We may not have met their SO, or they may not have an SO, but for them to have someone to dance with/ hang out with we wanted to let those people bring a guest too.

But mostly- no 1+ if they are a random stranger (to us)

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us we only gave a plus one to those in our wedding party and if someone in our family has been together for a very long time and we have both met them then they will be invited. If we have any regrets for the wedding then we can extend plus ones to our friends but it is not within our budget to give everybody a plus one, especially to people we may not have even met or they have only been dating for a couple months.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics