Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Plus One Policy?

Lynnie, on May 9, 2019 at 13:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 33

How did you decide who gets the option of bringing an additional guest? Are you giving all of your guests the plus one option, or are you limiting plus ones to just your wedding party or out-of-town guests??

What's your plus one policy?

Plus One Policy? 1

Photo from Marry Me Calligraphy in Oshawa, ON

33 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on May 21, 2019 at 13:52
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyone gets a plus one.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are only giving plus ones to out of town guests, even my family members are not getting plus ones because I know they are serial daters so it's just easier this way.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of our guests were given a plus one. We had 7 single people. 2 of them were not given a plus one because they had other family coming. 5 of them were given a plus one because they only knew 1 or 2 other people coming. I had been to a few weddings where I only knew a couple people and I’m shy so they weren’t the most fun. I didn’t want to put others in the same situation. We also had a few people back out after RSVPs were in so we let a couple of the wedding party’s spouses bring someone so they would have someone they knew to eat with.
  • K
    Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Stefany, yes, exactly it's like when I went over there and they just told me that their hairdryer is broken. And some days after - again. So long story short - I've decided to bought my own and fortunately found a great review article on the web ( https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-hooded-hair-dryer-reviews/ ) that helped me a lot with a choice.

• Danielle
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We gave all single guests a plus one. Most have friends coming and wouldn’t bother bringing a random date or a friend for company. Potentially though if they feel it’s a significant enough relationship to bring someone than I’d want them to bring them. Yes it adds cost but I’m also at a stage in life where I don’t get to see friends or family as often as I’d like and it’s a great chance for them to bring our worlds together and make new memories (or at least put a face to the stories they dish after they’ve broken up down the road)
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue's max was reached pretty fast, so we had to cut people out of our original guest list, including most plus ones.

Serious relationships (living together, engaged, married) will get a plus one.

Our single friends will stay single for the evening, thank you very much. It's not like they don't know anyone there, so we don't see a problem with it.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do to having a few family embers who are not very good at staying in a relationship we have made the rule that the only way someone has a plus one is if they are engaged, married or have been together for longer then a year. Will be addressing them to the specific guest if guests get a plus one they will be addressed and added to the guest list. If they aren't on the list they probably don't meet the requirements.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have many single people coming. we addressed the invites to our guests and their SO's and we have only a couple out of town people being given plus ones....but honestly not even expecting them all to make the trip.

• Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only have 1 plus one in our guest list. I didn't know this to be honest. I thought I can only invite my girl friend and not her "currently" dating man since I haven't meet him but FH said we have to put plus one regardless.🤷‍♀️
  • Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We gave a plus one to only 3 of our guests. All three are from out of town and we didn’t want them to have to make the long drive/flight by themselves.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

2 people were made comments when it came to plus 1s, they felt it was rude not to include it on the card. So when it came time to hand out the invitations, I personally put plus 1 for those 2 guests only.

The families (ours and second), friends and most co workers names were on the invitations. No one else as our count was limited and keeping it small.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is exactly what I want to avoid lol. My uncle is single and wants a plus one but isn’t currently dating anyone. I feel bad, but I also don’t want a random at my wedding. Especially knowing his group of friends it would just be a mess.
    Its very difficult when it’s close family. If it was anyone else it would be a flat out no.
    I completely understand your frustration!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea that would have definitely been more difficult. My sister wanted to bring her best friend which was fine since I knew her very well as well. Other then that only the people in serious relationships brought someone. We just wanted them to have the option.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Urgh my mom is one of those family members...

We are only giving serious relationships plus ones..

But my Mom found out my Dad is bringing his girlfriend...

So now she has pulled the whole.. how is it going to look if I don't have a date.

So now she wants a plus one... but has no idea who she is actually bringing.

I am more than a little frustrated with this.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See we didn't do this.. mostly because my FH's little brother wanted to bring his roommate... and his roommates girlfriend. Which was not okay with us haha. (Which his brothers whole family and some of his friends will already be there.. )

So we had to do everyone in a relationship got a guest.. and those not in one didn't. But the other two guys that are single in the wedding party didn't want to bring anyone anyways.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they were in a serious relationship at the time of invites they got a plus one.

Or the two people that will not know anyone there were allowed to bring a guest.

I did not want a bunch of randoms there that we wouldn't know and would probably never see again.

For friends that started dating someone after, we have offered that they can come to the dance/party portion and still have cake and midnight lunch.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

People in serious relationships/out of town got a plus one.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most of our guests have either a spouse or a serious SO so it's been pretty easy for us but we'll also give someone a plus one if they're not really part of a group of friends and won't know anyone. Don't want them to be lonely.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We limited plus ones to serious couples with the exception of our bridal party. Everyone in our bridal party got a plus one.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We limited plus ones to serious couples only. The only one who is bringing someone they haven't been dating seriously is my younger brother because he said he can actually see a future with this guy so I gave him the benefit of the doubt in hopes that things actually do work with this guy. We don't want a huge guest list and we also don't want a bunch of random people we don't know and may never see again. My FMIL and her sister strongly disagreed with this, they thought we were being rude but thats not our problem.
    We don't have any guests that don't know at least one other person and all of our friends are extremely social so they won't have issues making new friends anyway.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We started with our guest list and only included spouses. We still had plenty of room so we then gave a plus one to the people who have been in a relationship for more than 1 year with their SO. We still had a bit of room so we did a rough draft of the seating chart and whichever tables had room we offered plus ones to people at the table.

Most people who haven't been dating someone for more than a year said they weren't interested in bringing a plus one so it worked out really well.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In the same boat as most here. If the guests were in a serious relationship by the time the invite goes out, they get a plus one. But any casual dates are a no. Everyone will have at least someone they know at the wedding so that is nice.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All of our adult guests were given the option to bring plus ones. In our mind, the more the merrier!

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some people were extended a plus one and some people were not. If they were in a serious relationship that I knew about then yes they were also invited but those people who casually date / have only been together a month or two did not. Unless they wouldn't know anyone else there but almost everyone knows someone else.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are trying to keep numbers down so we cut out most plus ones except for really serious couples.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We gave everyone a plus one
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Anyone who wouldn't know anyone else is in a serious relationship so it wasn't an issue too!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally agree with Allison. I have a few cousins who are stressing me out about this. One has a newish relationship after her divorce so she is reluctant to introduce him. A few others are in their 20's and are in the dating scene so trying to give hints now about only bringing a plus one if it's serious.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here! Only difference is that we don't have anybody coming to the wedding that wouldn't know anybody so we don't have to worry about giving any plus ones out that aren't because of a serious relationship.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is ours too.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We still have to discuss this, but pretty much everyone is getting a plus one except for some family members who will bring randoms to the wedding. It will really depend when we send out the invites
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyone got a plus one to our wedding, but we are having a smaller one, so we had the space.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics