Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Expert September 2019 Ontario

Planning Milestone - Choosing the Bridal Party

Meaghan, on January 7, 2020 at 10:53 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 31
How did you choose who would be in your wedding party? Was it a difficult decision? How did you ask these important people to be part of your day?

We had our 14 year old daughter as MOH and 11 year old son as Best Man. We asked them together, in the context of explaining different parts of a typical wedding and they were both so excited! One really cool thing we discovered is that in Ontario, by law, there is no age limit for witnesses so they were able to be our witnesses, too. It was so special having them stand up with us on our big day.
What is your bridal party story?

31 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on January 13, 2020 at 13:14
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bridal party wasn't a tough choice, we both knew who'd we want on our sides and that they were true friends or family. I had 2 friends from university, my childhood best friend, and my now SIL on my side and DH had his bestie from college, his childhood best friend and my brother.

We were able to ask everyone in person, which was a feat since we live far from our wedding party lol.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We pretty much divided up our friend group between our sides haha, we're going pretty non-traditional with our wedding party and my FH has more groomsmaids than groomsmen.

It was pretty easy to decide who would stand with us because we have such a close knit group of friends, and then we both have some family members on our sides as well (my cousin and his dad and oldest nephew)

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh, I love it! That must have been so much fun!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes for the reception entrance. Bollywood style.

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like you made some really solid choices. Dies he have 5 on his side as well?
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! It'll work out one way or another. He'll talk to his friend and either he'll step up or we'll find a way to navigate a change in bridal party. Not ideal but if he isn't truly in it for us, he's not the right man for the job
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How nice that your wedding helped one of your MOH feel better! That's great that your best man was supportive and made the drive for you for Sunday practices. Were the practices for dancing?
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no, I'm so sorry your fiance has been disappointed by his friend! I hope that works out.
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Having family in your wedding party sounds so special. I loved that we had our family in ours!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 5 girls. one is one of my best friends for 12 years, i have his sister, and i have 3 cousins that i am very close with. i dont have any second guesses about them.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a small wedding party of 4 which had 2 each MOHs and BM (Best Man) in total.

Our MOHs worked at the same place as husbands was his boss and mine was his coworker that was going to a rough time at the salon and feeling closer to her than any others there. She felt good and to me too to know it would bring her up and look forward to being there with us. I had to change my MOH due to the fact she was moving to NF as she was also close to me and my coworker at the store I was working.

BM were chosen as husbands best friend was on his side and part of my second family, one that I did consider very close to being my friend for years next to his best friend. He was a lot of help and did make the effort to come out for practises on Sunday when he lived in Orangeville at the time.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My side was easy: MOH is my best friend (basically my sister) and my BM is my soon-to-be sister in law.

His side was seemingly easy to him: he wanted my brother as his GM and his supposedly best friend as his BM, but this best friend has since proven to be not so 'best friend-y' so now he's worried he made the wrong choice and might have to find a way to change it 🤦‍♀️
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really hope so. It's been so long in the planning stage already!
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. 🙂 It's one of my biggest stresses right now. Unfortunately we are spread out over 3 provinces so it's pretty hard to get things done with them. The 2 that are here with me, one is super busy with work so she doesn't have much time & the other just isn't into weddings so getting her to help is hard. Everything will work out in the end tho
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having a small bridal party so I chose just family - my 2 sisters and FSIL. He chose a couple of his oldest friends and his brother.

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds like a good sized wedding, you will have lots of opportunity to greet each of them.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures of your wedding! I think having it in the winter will be so beautiful!
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Three sounds like a great number for a wedding party! I think just asking is a good way to do it.
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's great that everyone is included in the wedding. And I just love that you both have your high school best friends standing up with you!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I think that is best for us. I'm hoping to keep the wedding smallish 80-100 kind of hoping for closer to 80 lol
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think having just the MOH is lovely! Is your fiance having the single Best Man as well?
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's too bad that you are worried your MOH won't make it. I can imagine how disappointing that must be!
    I hope your other bridesmaids are helping you as they are able.
    And I have fingers crossed that your sister makes it out!

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So it was an easy decision! How did you ask them?
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's great, sounds like you have a tight group!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was not creative when it came to asking them. I just asked. As for how I chose who to ask, it was pretty simple. I really only have two close girlfriends since I moved across the country and one friend from my hometown that I had always thought would be in my wedding party.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having such a small event that we knew just having MoHs was the way to go, and that was easy: high school best friends! Or other friends are all involved in different ways so nobody felt left out.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only ever had one choice for MOH and since it is a second wedding (for me) I didnt want a big bridal party
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When we got engaged I knew right away who I wanted to be in my party, unfortunately out lives have changed & I kind of regret some of them. (Been engaged over 3yrs). My sister is my MOH, love her so much & really want her to be there, but she is terrible with money & I'm having a feeling she won't be able to afford to come out (we are in different provinces). My other best friend who I've known since I was 6 (was friends with my sister, but we got closer, lived together for a few years), but since having kids she just doesn't seem be around anymore. I also picked one of closest friends from grade school (lost touch for awhile, but got back in touch), another close friend from school, & my first friend out here that I made who introduced me to FH
  • Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew before we were engaged who I wanted in my wedding party. Girls who are all very good friends to me and I see them all weekly Smiley smile Smiley heart

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is so amazing that they were able to be your witnesses!!!

For our wedding party it was easy for my DH since he has 5 close friends - he ended up with 2 best men though since they have always been a trio. Looking back he has added another friend and had he known he would get so close I just know he would have been a GM too!

For me and my girls MOH was a no brainer seeing as how I have an older sister! Then the other 4 were easy too; friend from school who I've known since grade 1, friend who introduced me to DH, DH's cousin who I got really close to, and then of course my DH's friend who I got close to (and is the SO of one of his best men).

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, that's a good sized bridal party. That is wonderful that you have so many important people to stand up with both if you!
    I love that you had handmade gifts; What a thoughtful gesture!
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow you’re right, that is so special! What an amazing way to celebrate two families coming together❤️

Our wedding party is really large, we have 7 on each side... some of my people are on my FH side because I ran out of room and he doesn’t have as many siblings/close friends 😅 I asked all my girls with personalized notes and a little handmade gift. I had to mail some of them because most are out of town (even out of province!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics